Lupe, Jay Electronica.... and Lil B Collab??

Options
Kame
Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in The Reason
Here's what Lil B said in an interview with Vibe...

Vibe: Fill us in, Based ? .

Lil B: This is a VIBE first - Look out for some music from Lil' B featuring Jay Electronica and Lupe Fiasco, coming real soon. No one knows about this. I got a text from Jay Electronica last night. It’s just a respect thing between us. I mean he’s such a dope emcee.

if Lil B brings this,

I got no problem with it, it would be funny as HELL if he brought this though...

^^ Actually wouldn't mind this either, that would be entertaining for sure.

Comments

• Kame
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Heres the whole interview
    VIBE: B, what’s going on?

Lil' B: I just recorded about 30 songs in like 4 hours. I’m about to release this Evil Red Flame Mixtape.

Lord, when do you think you’ll release that one?

I’d say it will probably be to the people by Saturday (Ed note: Evil Red Flame was released on Thanksgiving Day). I’ll knock out about 5-7 songs an hour. But I practice them a lot, so when it comes to recording, it becomes subconscious. It’s like a blessing because I can mess up, and it still sounds good.

So you don’t write any of your lyrics down?

I actually used a pen and pad for this one. This one is better than Red Flame and Blue Flame. It’s real lyrical, something amazing. I feel like this music is more mature then Red Flame. There really aren’t too many joke songs, where I’m playing around. I’m really spitting all the way through on this one. I got some Capone-N-Noreaga beats on there. You’re going to be surprised. Especially for the East Coast, they’re really going to understand this one.

Speaking of East Coast beats, you recently collaborated with Cormega, which really caught people off guard. How did you link with him?

Shouts to Tony Yayo, he really helped me out with that one. Mega was one of those artists that I was heavily influenced by. And I was just talking to Yayo one day, telling him how much of an influence Cormega was on me along with Kool G Rap, Nas, Jay-Z, MF Doom and so many others. Yayo called me with Mega on the line, and we chopped it up for while and exchanged contacts. But before I even sent over the track, we had a couple long phone conversations. I think he was really trying to feel me out. I don’t think Mega works with just anyone. I got a lot more secrets up my sleeve, though.

Fill us in, Based ? .

This is a VIBE first: Look out for some music from Lil' B featuring Jay Electronica and Lupe Fiasco, coming real soon. No one knows about this. I got a text from Jay Electronica last night. It’s just a respect thing between us. I mean he’s such a dope emcee.

What did he text to you?

He just showed me love, and I sent my blessings back to him. Jay Electronica to me is one of the most original in the game right now. I love his creativity. And I’ma tell you who else I think is one of the most original in the game and that’s Charles Hamilton. I’m a just leave it at that.

It seems like Hamilton been going through some things, have you spoken to him lately?

I haven’t, but he hit me up on Twitter, and I definitely gave him my support. I like artists that are true to themselves and aren’t copying off anybody. I can’t even listen to certain rappers now because they got that same Drake flow. If it’s not you, stop doing it. I’m hearing a lot of people just copying. I love artists who take pride in being original.

I’ve noticed you seemed to have a big influence on Soulja Boy’s music.

Soulja Boy always been showing love. He is one of the realest people in the industry and coolest people in general. He’s a real honest and respectful dude, so I really got nothing but love for him, and I got his back on the music tip.

What’s behind the “30 Thousand 100 Million” music video you guys just released?

“30 Thousand 100 Million”... I freestyled that in one of my songs. But Soulja just took it to another level. He made the beat at his crib, and we laid it that night. I think they’re going to also premiere it on 106 & Park soon. That’s going to be my first TV look. I’m definitely excited about that.

Did you officially sign with SB yet?

As of right now, I’m an independent artist. Me and Soulja Boy are finishing up like the last parts of the deal that we’re doing together. Out of anybody in the game that’s who I want to work with business wise. I’m rocking with Soulja.

With that situation, there’s definitely a huge opportunity to take your movement to the masses.

Listen: I have a secret album that I’m working on with a private title which is going to be my mainstream album and the album that I use to break through. I have about three singles ready to go. It’s going to be big, big year in 2011. I’m swagged up heavily. Think about it like this, you see how Trey Songz made that turn around. Trey Songz back then is way different then the Trey Songz now, so think about that. I look at my situation the same way.

Would you say this secret album has a more universal sound?

My new album everybody will understand. You can’t deny it, people are going to have to like something on there. Right now, I have couple a cats doing beats for me. I’m releasing new videos on the regular still. I’m continuously building.

Do you still stand by your comments regarding doing something to Kanye West’s backdoor?

What’s funny is that before I made that comment, I forgot that he posted one of my videos on his blog. ? bless Kanye. He posted “Swag OD,” the song I did with Soulja Boy. I just forgot about that. Bottom line is I really just want to work with him and do some production for him. No one on earth is doing what I’m doing and time will prevail. I ain’t going to rush nothing. But he knows I respect him and his artistic ability. One day it will happen, he know I got love for him.

I’m not quite sure if people are ready for Lil B rapping over Kanye West production.

People don’t want that because I’ll rap for 15 minutes. It might shake the world up. I got a couple 10 minute songs on my Rain In England mixtape. Every song on there is longer than four minutes. There’s no cursing, and I’m talking about real subjects. I really just see a lot of similarities with me and 'Ye, just certain similar viewpoints. My accomplishments aren’t on his level, but artistically I understand. I’m pushing boundaries like him.

You might be your own biggest fan.

I’m just a strong supporter of my art, and I really feel it in my heart. Sometimes I cry when I’m making or listening to my music, that’s how real it is.

Word?

Yeah, it brings tears to my eyes. I’m just so happy to be here. There’s so much behind my music. This isn’t just rapping, this is deeper. I’m doing this for the love and for life, so people can grow. I want things to change and for progression in music. I produced, composed, and rapped on the first ambient rap album in hip-hop and that was last year. I got 1,200 songs. I released 900 freestyles last year, all for free. It’s like I have reasons to feel this way.

Weezy might be the only one who releases as much free music as you.

That’s like the only person who I feel like is equally working or working harder than me. We all get it in on different levels. I know he’s got ? he can tell me about, and I got ? I can tell him about.

Your style and beliefs are unique to say the least, but do you ever feel like an outsider in hip-hop?

I feel like a lot people want to label me something and keep that label on me. It hurts when people need to go rewrite their thoughts. They don’t want to accept that. People don’t want to go back and say Lil B is okay now, when I drop a 30 song mixtape where I’m spitting. People just want to write it off but you can’t write off good ? .

How do you feel about the Odd Future comparisons?

Shouts out to them. I definitely respect those young dudes from the West Coast, coming up. I know that they respect me, so it’s a lot of love. I get a lot of those comparisons because people still don’t understand me but that comes with the game. I need time to evolve and show people who I really am. The things that are similar about us is that we both don’t give a ? , and we say what we feel. I don’t really think we talk about the same things but that doesn’t mean we can’t work.

What about the ladies? Are there any female emcees that you have your eye on?

There’s so many females in the game that I respect. I like La Chat, Gangsta Boo, Nicki Minaj, Missy Elliot, Lil Kim, Foxy Brown. But also the Queen Latifahs and Salt-N-Pepas, but there’s too many to name. I’m glad that Nicki is breaking through. It’s crazy because I see so many similarities in the ? that she’s doing within me. I understand where she’s coming from. Congratulations to her. She’s taking over peoples’ brains over right now. There’s no one else like her. I feel like she’s the face of female rap and her thing is way deeper than rap.

What’s similar between you and Nicki?

If I would have gotten on the “Monster” track with Nicki, Jay, and Kanye, I would have had the best verse. I know what Nicki’s doing. She’s shining. I won’t tell too many secrets of the rap game, but you can rap or you can shine. I can do anything. Put me on a G.O.O.D. Friday mega mix with all the artists in the game, and I’ll have the best verse. And I respect and love all of them. But, lyrically I’ll have the best one. I’ve been waiting.

Wow.

And they better hope I’m not serious on there because if I seriously write, it’s over. I heard the joints with J.Cole and Big Sean and that’s all family. Everybody, but if I get on the song, I have the best verse out of everybody in the game. I guess it’s best if I don’t get on one of those. Let me do me and run over the world over here. I don’t want to take any shine away from anybody.

What is Lil B in 2011?

Think Lady Gaga, the rap version. Rap’s Lady Gaga, Phil Collins, Rick James, rap version of Prince, Canibus, MF Doom, Jay-Z, Michael Jackson, Tupac and Lil Wayne in a ? and mix it around. Smush em all together, stir the ? like soup—Lil B’s here. That’s 2011 and beyond.
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    i ? with lil b!
    i wanna hear this ? tho
    cuz he do be on his introspective, story telling, positive message ? at times
  • Kame
    edited November 2010
    Options
    i ? with lil b!
    i wanna hear this ? tho
    cuz he do be on his introspective, story telling, positive message ? at times

That's what Im saying, I actually ? with Lil b's storytelling ? , even some of the other stuff too lol, so this might actually work out. Lupe stans are ? on twitter though...
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    BASED

who's fooling who?
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    That's what Im saying, I actually ? with Lil b's storytelling ? , even some of the other stuff too lol, so this might actually work out. Lupe stans are ? on twitter though...

the only thing is he can not
    i repeat: can not
    be based on this record
    a based freestyle always consists of "? suck my ? , hoes on my ? , 30 on my ? , i look like, i'm a pretty ? "
    he gotta write that ? down and actually be cognizant of what the ? he's saying
  • MrJR
    MrJR Members Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    lol i read the whole article in Based ? voice
  • WildcatOffense
    WildcatOffense Members Posts: 961
    edited November 2010
    Options
    i wanna hear this ? tho

• Kame
    edited November 2010
    Options
    thankyoubasedgod.jpg

• double0suge
    double0suge Members Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    lls........just lls............
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Heres the whole interview

What is Lil B in 2011?

Think Lady Gaga, the rap version. Rap’s Lady Gaga, Phil Collins, Rick James, rap version of Prince,[size=+3] Canibus[/size], MF Doom, Jay-Z, Michael Jackson, Tupac and Lil Wayne in a ? and mix it around. Smush em all together, stir the ? like soup—Lil B’s here. That’s 2011 and beyond.

Confused??????

I thought Canibus is wack?
  • Kame
    edited November 2010
    Options
    the only thing is he can not
    i repeat: can not
    be based on this record
    a based freestyle always consists of "? suck my ? , hoes on my ? , 30 on my ? , i look like, i'm a pretty ? "
    he gotta write that ? down and actually be cognizant of what the ? he's saying

Nah he knows hes hanging with lyrical heavyweights, he definitely will take ? seriously.......
  • Kame
    edited November 2010
    Options
    lls........just lls............

Your not intrigued? Not one bit?
  • edutained_by_hh
    edutained_by_hh Members Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Lil B's music is funny to me, but he isn't lyrically inclined enough from what I have heard to hang with any of the people mentioned in that interview. Lil B is one of the few rappers that has made me laugh out loud when listening to a song of his, he is still garbage though.
  • Kame
    edited November 2010
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    Confused??????

I thought Canibus is wack?

Canibus wack cause of his L's, not cause of lyrics... at least mostly
  • Kame
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Lil B's music is funny to me, but he isn't lyrically inclined enough from what I have heard to hang with any of the people mentioned in that interview. Lil B is one of the few rappers that has made me laugh out loud when listening to a song of his, he is still garbage though.

Listen to the first track I posted, give it a chance, you'll be surprised....
  • Kame
    edited November 2010
    Options
    mrjr wrote: »
    lol i read the whole article in based ? voice

lol....................................
  • MrJR
    MrJR Members Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    OMFG he killed that first track ? ? Nas lost
  • Kame
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Yall "real" hip hop heads check out the first track before you post.....
  • edutained_by_hh
    edutained_by_hh Members Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Listen to the first track I posted, give it a chance, you'll be surprised....

I had listened to it before, people always post it to show his "lyrical side", and yes I was surprised when I first heard it. Its alright, it is definitely the best track I have heard from him, but it is hard not to compare his version to the original. Concept is real good though, just not executed all that well. His other stuff is so outlandish, that it is easy for one to think this is a great song, which it is, but only in comparison with his other stuff.
  • Kame
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I had listened to it before, people always post it to show his "lyrical side", and yes I was surprised when I first heard it. Its alright, it is definitely the best track I have heard from him, but it is hard not to compare his version to the original. Concept is real good though, just not executed all that well. His other stuff is so outlandish, that it is easy for one to think this is a great song, which it is, but only in comparison with his other stuff.

LOL yeah thats the main reason why its effective I guess....
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    What is Lil B in 2011?

"Think Lady Gaga, the rap version. Rap’s Lady Gaga, Phil Collins, Rick James, rap version of Prince, Canibus, MF Doom, Jay-Z, Michael Jackson, Tupac and Lil Wayne in a ? and mix it around. Smush em all together, stir the ? like soup—Lil B’s here. That’s 2011 and beyond. "

He might drop a classic
  • birdcall89
    birdcall89 Members Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    this interview brought a tear of joy to my eye.
  • ysl313
    ysl313 Members Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    based ? tryna upgrade his musical pallette...? on his way to greatness

*sheds a tear*
  • duckmanpig
    duckmanpig Members Posts: 428
    edited November 2010
    Options
    thankyoubasedgod.jpg

there's a gif of the ? Mary crying with the Based ? caption lol. Anybody got it
  • Pond Scum
    Pond Scum Members Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    yeah i think lil b needs to find a definitive way to let people know there's a difference between his songs and his based freestyles. probably the best way would be a couple of battles, more high-profile features and and album or two.

notice though that when he tries to battle people they never try to come at him lyrically. dude's weird but real mc's know he has skills.