Relaxing little girls hair...

Options
naomi shambles
naomi shambles Members Posts: 150 ✭✭
edited December 2010 in The Powder Room
How do you feel about the use of relaxers or straightening combs in little black girls hair...i have two daughters ages 3 and 5 and I would like to keep them natural until they leave my house by age 18 hopefully. My grandmother used to straighten my hair with a hot comb on the stove when I was 5 year old up until 13 years of age and I remember being kissed by that hot comb and her slapping grease on my scalp to ease the pain..I hated that process. I also remember getting perms( my first one at 14 and the burning and scabs and waking up the next morning with my hair stuck to my head from the chemical burns. I managed to grow my hair down to bra strap length but it was lifeless and wouldn't hold a curl. In both cases I had a decent length of hair but I wouldn't say it was healthy hair. Is it worth it to subject little girls to this? Sometimes I think about it...but I know I would never do it.

Comments

• KarolinaSouftoLACali
    KarolinaSouftoLACali Members Posts: 864
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ? i dont trust perms but i dont see nothin wrong wit a hotcomb.....? i got a perm before and i hated dat ? ....a ? like me still ? wit the hotcomb tho

but for lil girls i think they shuld get the hotcomb till theyre old enough to handle the perm process (probly bout 10-12 years old)
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    Conscious__Nkechi Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    No.
    It's disgusting and I would personally never subject my daughter to either although perms can be far more damaging.

The end result is often not understood until one reaches that point. Plenty of women regret ever having toyed with their hair using all kinds of perms, processes and chemicals. Once they realized the damage they had done it was too late.
    And the damage goes a lot deeper than the roots.
  • BabyBugatti
    BabyBugatti Members Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Well earlier this year I cut my hair in an attempt to go natural, it's still growing, but i know it would have been easier for me to take care of my own hair if i knew how to deal with it from an early age instead of slapping a relaxer on it.
    I'm pro natural hair (not exactly against relaxers, if someone else wants to relax their own hair, then cool for them)
    I personally won't let my daughters relax their hair till 16, when i feel like they know the deal with natural/relaxed hair and decided on if they want natural hair or not.
    I'm against it for anyone under 16, especially those under 10, i feel like their scalps are to fragile for all that chemical BS, same goes for those so called kiddie perms.
  • KarolinaSouftoLACali
    KarolinaSouftoLACali Members Posts: 864
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Moreno.S wrote: »
    Well earlier this year I cut my hair in an attempt to go natural, it's still growing, but i know it would have been easier for me to take care of my own hair if i knew how to deal with it from an early age instead of slapping a relaxer on it.
    I'm pro natural hair (not exactly against relaxers, if someone else wants to relax their own hair, then cool for them)
    I personally won't let my daughters relax their hair till 16, when i feel like they know the deal with natural/relaxed hair and decided on if they want natural hair or not.
    I'm against it for anyone under 16, especially those under 10, i feel like their scalps are to fragile for all that chemical BS, same goes for those so called kiddie perms.

how u feel about puttin the hotcomb on her hair
  • shadb33
    shadb33 Members Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Moreno.S wrote: »

u got the durags i sent you for Christmas yet so your wave game stay on point?
  • Blue Virgo
    Blue Virgo Members Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I'm pro-natural now, so I won't be relaxing my child's hair.
    When she is old enough, around 16, and can afford whatever it is she wants to do to her hair--she can do it.
  • pimpette_516
    pimpette_516 Members Posts: 13
    edited December 2010
    Options
    blue virgo wrote: »
    I'm pro-natural now, so I won't be relaxing my child's hair.

same here..two years now and I will NEVERR everr look at or touch a relaxer AGAIN..Its a VERRY HARSH chemical imagine what it can do to inside of you since it touches your scalp...I would use hot-comb but you dont have to theres tons of natural hair styles to use! :)