Can you be a seeker of genuine truth?

Options
toktaylor
toktaylor Members Posts: 612 ✭✭
edited December 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
To be a genuine seeker for truth, the first thing you must do is rise above the social constructs which have been donated to you by reason of your birth and heritage, and begin a process of examining them for yourselves! To look at the books, to look at the organizations. To look at your prophets, priests and kings. To examine your dreams, visions and to challenge your thinking.

As a child we are taught the entire social societal structure around us as we grows. The book that is presented to us as children as being holy, the practices that the children undergoes, the songs that the children sings, the mythologies and stories that the children is told, the religious authorities that the children meets, the holy buildings that the children attends gives to us our religion.

Worldwide statistics indicate less then 2% of the worlds population ever abandons that societal structure. Jews give birth to Jews. The number one thing that will convert people to Islam is being born to Moslem parents. The overwhelming factor to make people decide to become Hindus is if their mommy and daddy live in India. Christians give birth to Christians.

how can we really rise above what has been programme in us a children to even begin to understand other truths....

Comments

• Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    By questioning and analyzing EVERYTHING told to you. Questioning authority, and researching the entire world. Exercising your mind to make it stronger.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    toktaylor wrote: »
    how can we really rise above what has been programme in us a children to even begin to understand other truths....

By critical questioning and reasoning. Where did that idea come from? Why do I feel compelled to think that? Have I ever experienced that belief I have? What basis do I have to think this/that? Who influenced those thoughts?

Edit: the more this is done the more it becomes apparent "? , I don't know anything, all I think I know is what I've read or heard".
  • toktaylor
    toktaylor Members Posts: 612 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    By critical questioning and reasoning. Where did that idea come from? Why do I feel compelled to think that? Have I ever experienced that belief I have? What basis do I have to think this/that? Who influenced those thoughts?

Edit: the more this is done the more it becomes apparent "? , I don't know anything, all I think I know is what I've read or heard".

But if you were raised a particular way and then is confronted with other beliefs (which seems like rubbish to you) how are you going to trust the edicts of a new particular structure or organization, how do you know that the structure is telling you the truth?
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    But if you were raised a particular way and then is confronted with other beliefs (which seems like rubbish to you) how are you going to trust the edicts of a new particular structure or organization, how do you know that the structure is telling you the truth?

Chike wrote: »
    By questioning and analyzing EVERYTHING told to you. Questioning authority, and researching the entire world. Exercising your mind to make it stronger.

Options

Critical thinking skills and an open mind help a great deal. Imo, the best way to test the veracity of the new structure would be to see how far you can experience it, reflect on it and reason it out.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I don't think it's possible to seek The Truth. Maybe we can easily obtain a truth or a lifetime of truths, but to find the truth that defines all truths is a search no man is fit to do. If anything, The Truth will find us and when it does, it will hold us captive and it either be "heaven or hell" to the soul that it reveals itself to.