Past generations would've never been able to EXPRESS themselves....

Options
Rock_Well
Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
on the level that we, in modern times, can today...

i wonder....with all the technology we have, are people really keeping it realer with themselves, using technology in the ways they do? are people getting more and more artificial?

i generally don't like philosophical discussions because of how subjective and pretentious they can get, but this is something kind of thought provoking.

when it comes to who a person is, there are three views it relates to: who the person is to themselves (how they see themselves), who they are to others (how others see them), and who they are to ? (how ? sees you). I think most of us know which one of those three views really matters or not (to us)....but at times too much emphasis get placed on one of the three...

Which view is more important to you? Or is there a way to balance all three?

Comments

• Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    there is no such thing as the three perceptions, it just tells us a lot about you solid. I'm guessing that if you believe in such perceptions than yes they will dominate your world, if you however do not believe in that concept and just be yourself(free state of mind etc ) than whats the problem>? why care about what others feel about you(when you for example feel my opinion is pretentitous and lame), you don't really know Gods view of you, just like the view of yourself(or your ego?) is dynamic/everchanging. Balance it out through simply acknowledging this.

gotta agree with heyslick btw regarding the expressions part, eventhough I'm in my early 20's I think my/this generation with it's iphone's(rocking htc desire myself lol) blackerries etc people aren't that socially well crafted, in fact people of my generation seem to lack basic communication skills, ? a facebook, social network sites in general. I'm thinking expressions wise, this generation is really individuelists but with a severe lack of character and basic expressions(which is awesome for the sociapathic money making business student in me)

and yes I just started pinging myself because its free lol. but still, I can express myself/spit conversation without taking that phone out of my pocket. If we do not watch out the children born today are gonna be tech dependent when they need to take a ? .
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    but this is something kind of thought provoking.
    Oh but it's thought provoking when you think it up?
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I came close to wanting to make a thread similar to this. A man's words and actions are virtually useless nowadays. It has to be backed up with technology and contracts. It's not to say that contracts never existed back then, but we have depended on them more as a way of safeguarding our trust for someone. And it is difficult to express ourselves face-to-face. Some people are hardly given a chance to express themselves without the feeling of being criticized or picked on for it. There are probably a lot of us that feel that the Internet is a significant outlet for expression and that e-forums give an opportunity to be heard. But it is not to say that people don't hide behind aliases and avatars to do what they wouldn't dare do in public. It would be "damaging" to those who finally get their curtain pulled and find that their "Wizard of Oz" is just a human being.
  • Rock_Well
    edited December 2010
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    Past generations would've never been able to EXPRESS themselves....

Seriously, how can you claim that when the Internet and the technology wasn't present then. Past generations expressed themselves with 'action' NOT words while they were hiding behind some computer screen acting all big and important. Past generations used character to judge folks,NOW days it's all about electronic gadgetry and such....so in essence you really don't know who or what your dealing with. Oh well if and when it all comes undone? will the current generation go into culture shock when they CANNOT adapt? I think I would be in shock if I saw some young person w/o a cell phone crammed in their ear or they were actually watching the road while they were driving...or just paying attention.
    not that they couldn't express themselves but just not on the levels we can...we done reached a level of expression that's way ahead of them. we have way more power to control how another person perceives (anything). It doesn't only have to be on the internet though that's where a lot of it is done (in digital world). but that's one of my points how today it's all about electronic this and that and material stuff with the majority. and it's actually a form of idolatry.

I do believe most of this generation wouldn't have a clue in the world what to do if all the flashing lights got put out though.
    Oh but it's thought provoking when you think it up?
    who cares what inspired the thought?

Alkindus wrote: »
    there is no such thing as the three perceptions, it just tells us a lot about you solid. I'm guessing that if you believe in such perceptions than yes they will dominate your world, if you however do not believe in that concept and just be yourself(free state of mind etc ) than whats the problem>? why care about what others feel about you(when you for example feel my opinion is pretentitous and lame), you don't really know Gods view of you, just like the view of yourself(or your ego?) is dynamic/everchanging. Balance it out through simply acknowledging this.
    I personally let the Bible define my beliefs. Everything outside of that is just extracurricular to me.
    the whole 'be yourself' thing..come on son...that's going to mean something different to everyone it's told to..who really just is 'being themselves' these days? society basically just agree to lie to each other for whatever reasons....and when some of us do choose to just keep it realer we often end up losing loved ones and/or friends.

Why care what others feel about you? Well no matter how much a person deny this, everybody has a desire to be admired or liked by someone else (it's even harder to go through life without admiring someone). And there is nothing wrong with that. It only becomes a problem when people place too much importance on it because then they might get snared into doing things to fulfill that desire that they shouldn't do. "For all that is in the world, the ? of the flesh and the ? of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world." (1 John 2:16)
  • Rock_Well
    edited December 2010
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    I came close to wanting to make a thread similar to this. A man's words and actions are virtually useless nowadays. It has to be backed up with technology and contracts. It's not to say that contracts never existed back then, but we have depended on them more as a way of safeguarding our trust for someone. And it is difficult to express ourselves face-to-face. Some people are hardly given a chance to express themselves without the feeling of being criticized or picked on for it. There are probably a lot of us that feel that the Internet is a significant outlet for expression and that e-forums give an opportunity to be heard. But it is not to say that people don't hide behind aliases and avatars to do what they wouldn't dare do in public. It would be "damaging" to those who finally get their curtain pulled and find that their "Wizard of Oz" is just a human being.
    i personally rather be face to face with someone. I can't stand talking on the phone for too long or the social networking sites and stuff but i suppose i use it for what it's worth.
    I don't think a person actions don't matter today but words....yea words just don't do a brotha justice these days.
    great question!

I think people are definitely getting more and more artificial. And I think it's the attitude that society needs, from each of us, in order for the anti-Christ to take his seat.
    haha yea...i wonder how many people base expressing true love for their mate off of what they see on TV for example. Look at how quickly celebrities get married and divorce. It's like is marriage a joke to people or something.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    i personally rather be face to face with someone. I can't stand talking on the phone for too long or the social networking sites and stuff but i suppose i use it for what it's worth.
    I don't think a person actions don't matter today but words....yea words just don't do a brotha justice these days.

Maybe I jumped the gun a little bit. Actions can be important. But, it can be devalued sometimes by those who treat actions as a business model than just common courtesy.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited December 2010
    Options
    who cares what inspired the thought?

Obviously you, seeing as though when it's someone does, its pretentious and subjective, but thought provoking when you do it.
  • Rock_Well
    edited December 2010
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    Maybe I jumped the gun a little bit. Actions can be important. But, it can be devalued sometimes by those who treat actions as a business model than just common courtesy.
    i feel what you saying there.
    Obviously you, seeing as though when it's someone does, its pretentious and subjective, but thought provoking when you do it.

sry no maam. obviously you reading something into my post that i didn't even put there.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited December 2010
    Options
    sry no maam. obviously you reading something into my post that i didn't even put there.

That's exactly it, I'm reading what isn't written ;)
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options

Why care what others feel about you? Well no matter how much a person deny this, everybody has a desire to be admired or liked by someone else (it's even harder to go through life without admiring someone). And there is nothing wrong with that. It only becomes a problem when people place too much importance on it because then they might get snared into doing things to fulfill that desire that they shouldn't do. [/B]

It would be wise to preface statements like this along the lines of "IMO" or "I THINK".
  • Rock_Well
    edited December 2010
    Options
    That's exactly it, I'm reading what isn't written ;)

Don't be letting ether convince you that you can mind read now
  • Rock_Well
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    It would be wise to preface statements like this along the lines of "IMO" or "I THINK".

including this statement?^

i know i didn't post scripture but what i wrote is Biblical based.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Don't be letting ether convince you that you can mind read now

Who said anything about mind reading? It was what it was and what it wasn't ;)
  • Hyde Parke
    edited December 2010
    Options
    including this statement?^

no, not including my statement. Just yours. Speak for yourself when making blanket statements and dont presume to know the mind and innerworking of every single individual. It has never been a concern of mine how others perceive me, it is not even a concept to me.
  • Rock_Well
    edited December 2010
    Options
    no, not including my statement. Just yours. Speak for yourself when making blanket statements and dont presume to know the mind and innerworking of every single individual. It has never been a concern of mine how others perceive me, it is not even a concept to me.

nah, i don't presume to know the mind and inner working of every individual. There's no way i can know that. I do however go by the few hidden motives ? reveals in scripture, that pertain to men, whenever/wherever applicable.

But you want me to believe that you've never at some point cared about how someone else has viewed you? That's interesting.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited December 2010
    Options
    nah, i don't presume to know the mind and inner working of every individual. There's no way i can know that. I do however go by the few hidden motives ? reveals in scripture, that pertain to men, whenever/wherever applicable.

But you want me to believe that you've never at some point cared about how someone else has viewed you? That's interesting.

ok.

I dont want you to believe anything. It matters not to me either way. I think that is silly to worry or even wonder what another thinks of you.
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Definitely ? but damn near everyone wants something they can touch and see physically that's why others thoughts ultimately matter more than most will let on.
  • Rock_Well
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ok.

I dont want you to believe anything. It matters not to me either way. I think that is silly to worry or even wonder what another thinks of you.

i understand....but there's nothing wrong with me having a desire to be thought well of by my parents for example. but I know my limits. And the heavenly Father ? comes before my physical parents & family.
    the attitude you speak of, that's called lasciviousness. For the time past may suffice to have wrought the desire of the Gentiles, and to have walked in lasciviousness, lusts, winebibbings, revellings, carousings, and abominable idolatries: wherein they think strange that ye run not with them into the same excess of riot, speaking evil of of:(1 Peter 4:3-4) it's one of the side effects of sin...that's what happens when ppl sin so much to the point that it doesn't even bother their conscience anymore and they become numb to it. "having their conscience seared with a hot iron;" (1 Timothy 4:2) It's an attitude of self-deception held by folk who think they have a right to do the wrong things.

if i didn't have a desire to be pleasing to ? (care about how He views me), then there would be nothing else to possibly motivate me to try and follow ? , applying the teachings of the Bible to my life, that i may live and avoid dying in my sins.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Why do you need to be thought well of from your parents? Why cant you just live your life without putting so much emphasis on the self and how others view/perceive you ? Why does that matter? My attitude is lasciviousness? lol. Well thats a new one.
  • Rock_Well
    edited December 2010
    Options
    las·civ·i·ous - 1. Given to or expressing ? ; lecherous.

a point most ppl often miss is '? ' doesn't always deal with sexual desires. It also deal with strong desires for things we shouldn't have.

I don't need to be thought of well by my physical parents (assuming you mean physical). But because i love them (including ? who comes [should come] first), it's only natural that i would want to be viewed well by them and that i would try to do things to that end. I do have a need to be thought well of by ? because His view is the one that ultimately matters.

i agree that we shouldn't put ppl on a '? ' level in a sense that we let what they think of us determine our own well being....i'm not saying that...the only thing we owed by others is love, not an ego stroke - Romans 13:8 says: "Owe no man anything, save to love one another: for he that loveth his neighbor hath fulfilled the law." If i know i haven't given anybody just cause to hate me yet they still express a behavior of dislike or hate towards me, its nothin for me to accept it for what it is and keep moving. That's on them, not me. They can think what they want as long as they don't come at me with no drama we good.
  • Rock_Well
    edited December 2010
    Options
    GSonII wrote: »
    Definitely ? but damn near everyone wants something they can touch and see physically that's why others thoughts ultimately matter more than most will let on.

interesting observation here....
  • Hyde Parke
    edited December 2010
    Options
    las·civ·i·ous - 1. Given to or expressing ? ; lecherous.

a point most ppl often miss is '? ' doesn't always deal with sexual desires. It also deal with strong desires for things we shouldn't have.

I don't need to be thought of well by my physical parents (assuming you mean physical). But because i love them (including ? who comes [should come] first), it's only natural that i would want to be viewed well by them and that i would try to do things to that end. I do have a need to be thought well of by ? because His view is the one that ultimately matters.

i agree that we shouldn't put ppl on a '? ' level in a sense that we let what they think of us determine our own well being....i'm not saying that...the only thing we owed by others is love, not an ego stroke - Romans 13:8 says: "Owe no man anything, save to love one another: for he that loveth his neighbor hath fulfilled the law." If i know i haven't given anybody just cause to hate me yet they still express a behavior of dislike or hate towards me, its nothin for me to accept it for what it is and keep moving. That's on them, not me. They can think what they want as long as they don't come at me with no drama we good.

How did you get "lascivious" out of my post? i havent expressed desire for anything, quite the opposite. Actually, reading your posts, seems to indicate that very behavior... I love my parents, well my mother is deceased now, but as a child, i expressed need for affection, i think thats natural.I would come home to show my good grades, proud to show them I was a "good" child As an adult, there was no need for that, it just was. I did what I considered was the right thing in all my choices. There was still love, but not with stipulations and conditions.If there are terms and conditions, I dont think that can be called love. My parents never passed judgement when i became an adult, they loved me no matter if they agreed with the things I choose to do in life..Who I am, is who I am, there is no changing that. I dont think Im a cold person, I care, but when it comes to what people think of me personally, there is no place for me to put that. Its a waste of time/energy to me, because I am who I am, and who I will be.

If you are in Gods word, and following his word, then why is there a need to be thought well of by him? Your actions should demonstrate that, without the need for approval.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    on the level that we, in modern times, can today...

i wonder....with all the technology we have, are people really keeping it realer with themselves, using technology in the ways they do? are people getting more and more artificial?

i generally don't like philosophical discussions because of how subjective and pretentious they can get, but this is something kind of thought provoking.

when it comes to who a person is, there are three views it relates to: who the person is to themselves (how they see themselves), who they are to others (how others see them), and who they are to ? (how ? sees you). I think most of us know which one of those three views really matters or not (to us)....but at times too much emphasis get placed on one of the three...

Which view is more important to you? Or is there a way to balance all three?

Wrong. We can never express ourselves on a level THEY did.
  • Rock_Well
    edited December 2010
    Options
    How did you get "lascivious" out of my post? i havent expressed desire for anything, quite the opposite. Actually, reading your posts, seems to indicate that very behavior... I love my parents, well my mother is deceased now, but as a child, i expressed need for affection, i think thats natural.I would come home to show my good grades, proud to show them I was a "good" child As an adult, there was no need for that, it just was. I did what I considered was the right thing in all my choices. There was still love, but not with stipulations and conditions.If there are terms and conditions, I dont think that can be called love. My parents never passed judgement when i became an adult, they loved me no matter if they agreed with the things I choose to do in life..Who I am, is who I am, there is no changing that. I dont think Im a cold person, I care, but when it comes to what people think of me personally, there is no place for me to put that. Its a waste of time/energy to me, because I am who I am, and who I will be.

1. If you are in Gods word, and following his word, then why is there a need to be thought well of by him? Your actions should demonstrate that, without the need for approval.

i didn't get that out of your post actually...you would know better than me if the shoe fits or not. i just threw the description of that attitude out there, the way it's talked about in the Bible, just in case that was what u meant by 'don't care what others think'....but i see now that's not what you meant by 'don't care what others think'...

how would you define - 'unconditional love'? or what do you mean by that?

A person can remain who they are, individually at heart, while still seeking to improve or better who they are at heart, changing their personal behavior for the better. That's called growth. If you still at 35 years old and think and behave the same way you did at 18, that's pretty slow growth....and i'm sure your life around you would reflect that too. that's why wisdom is more desirable than gold...we can apply it to ourselves benefiting our lives as well as others we come around.

1. ? is the judge. And scripture tells us that we will be judged by ? according to what we do (Matthew 16:27). Being approved by ? by our actions and following ? 's word is the same thing and goes hand in hand.
  • Rock_Well
    edited December 2010
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    Wrong. We can never express ourselves on a level THEY did.

there's is no denying that our level of expression, in regards to the aesthetics of most things, far exceeds them.