Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Officially Announced

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in IllGaming
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Unveiled
Drake heads to the desert as Naughty Dog's game is revealed.
UK, December 9, 2010
by Martin Robinson
IGN UK

Sony has unveiled a new Uncharted ahead of its big reveal at this weekend's VGA Awards, with first details confirming that Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception takes the wise-cracking hero to the deserts of the Arabian Peninsula.

Although the official reveal won't be coming until Saturday night's awards ceremony, Entertainment Weekly has gone live with its first impressions of the game, again developed by Naughty Dog.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception is said to focus on the relationship between Sully and Drake as the pair search for a lost city in the Arabian Peninsula and across the Rub' al Khali Desert. T.E Lawrence is said to be an inspiration for the story and setting.

uncharted-3-drakes-deception-unveiled-20101209063955905-000.jpg

"When we first came up with the idea of sand, you see everyone's eyes light up here and go, 'Yeah, that's going to be really hard — let's do it!'" said the game's creative director Ann Henning.

"We're a bunch of nerds. We just look forsomething that will be a technical, artistic challenge, and allowed us to push into an area of the world and history we've never tapped into before," added Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception's new features include the ability to fight multiple enemies as well as 'enhanced backward climbing' – though quite how that pans out remains to be seen.

A teaser trailer accompanying the reveal shows the new desert setting. "All men dream," says the Nolan North-voiced Nathan Drake, "but not equally".

Comments

• Terrorist_Jones
    Terrorist_Jones Banned Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    day 8 copp,,,wtf i look like paying full price for a good game
  • focus
    edited December 2010
    Options
    'Uncharted' exclusive: Your first look at 'Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception'
    by Jeff Jensen
    Categories: An EW Exclusive!, E3, Exclusive First Look, Games, Movies, News, Videogames

Uncharted-3-game-artImage Credit: Sony Computer Entertainment AmericaIf Indiana Jones or Robert Langdon is your definition of treasure-hunting action-adventure, then either you watch too many movies or read too many books — or you haven’t met Nathan Drake, the hero at the center the blockbuster videogame franchise Uncharted, exclusive to the PlayStation 3 platform. Last year, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves garnered widespread critical acclaim, bagged bunches of major videogame industry awards, and sold over 3.8 million copies worldwide. Hollywood’s a fan: A feature film from Columbia Pictures — adapted by helmer David O. Russell (Three Kings), produced by former Marvel Studios honcho Avi Arad and rumored to be starring Mark Wahlberg, the headliner of Russell’s forthcoming Oscar-baiting drama flick The Fighter – should be shooting just as the next game in the series, entitled Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception, hits stores late next year. EW recently visited the Santa Monica, California offices of Uncharted’s developer, Naughty Dog, for a sneak peek at the sequel, and we returned wishing “late next year” was right damn now.

Here’s what we can tell you: First off, obviously the title is not “Uncharted 3: World of Deceit,” as has been rumored here and there on the Internet. Still: Good guessing with the “deceit” thing. According to Naughty Dog’s creative director Amy Hennig, the theme of deception plays out in multiple ways throughout the threequel, from Drake doing the deceiving to Drake being deceived to some mysterious deception about Drake’s very identity. The story focuses on the hero’s relationship with his mentor and father figure, fan fave Victor “Sully” Sullivan, and has him searching for a legendary lost city that will ultimately take him to the Arabian Peninsula and the vast wasteland of the Rub’ al Khali Desert, also known as the Empty Quarter. (Said legendary lost city has been known by various names, including “Iram of the Pillars” and the “Atlantis of the Sands”; click the link for more backstory.)

Sony Computer Entertainment America

Uncharted likes to keep one foot (or at least a toe) grounded in history (Nathan’s ancestor is the British pirate, explorer and Navy officer Sir Francis Drake) and the plot of Uncharted 3 draws more from Drake’s exploits as well as from the life of T.E. Lawrence — not from his militant days as the fabled “Lawrence of Arabia,” but rather the Brit’s early years as an archaeologist. The inspiration for the story, says Hennig, came from Naughty Dog’s desire to take on the challenge of conceiving and building out gameplay scenarios within a desert locale — “challenge,” because organic elements like water, fire and sand are technically difficult to credibly render with animation. Says Hennig: “When we first came up with the idea of sand, you see everyone’s eyes light up here and go, ‘Yeah, that’s going to be really hard — let’s do it!’” Adds Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells: “We’re a bunch of nerds. We just look forsomething that will be a technical, artistic challenge, and allowed us to push into an area of the world and history we’ve never tapped into before.”

Uncharted 3 — which aspires to be an “interactive cinematic experience,” says Hennig, marked with character-driven storytelling — will also make more expansive use of motion-capture filmmaking techniques (think: the way James Cameron shot Avatar) that will enhance the quality of character performance. (In fact, Naughty Dog’s new Santa Monica digs includes its own mo-cap studio.) The execs at Naughty Dog walked us through one of the game’s levels, and while we can’t tell you anything about the locale (it actually wasn’t the desert), we can tell you that it was quintessential Uncharted, marked by dynamic camera work and gameplay that requires you to jump and climb through treacherous spaces that are in an almost constant state of change — or in this case, catastrophic collapse. Innovations? Several, including enhanced backward climbing and the ability to fight multiple baddies at once. Finally, Wells stressed that much time and effort is being lavished upon expanding Uncharted’s online multiplayer and co-op capabilities, too; expect more details to come in the coming months. Doing so gives the consumer more value for their entertainment dollar — especially in a weak economy, and esepcially among videogame consumers more prone to buying just a few games a year. It also creates a market for additional downloadable content for purchase (Uncharted zombie maps, anyone?), and cultivates an avid community of what Wells calls “evangelists” that can help create buzz future products. “We want to take on the big boys of the multi-player genre,” says Wells, no doubt alluding to multiplayer giants Call of Duty and Halo. “It has become something here at Naughty Dog that will become an important part to all our games.”
    uncharted-3-village-art_510.jpg?w=510&h=298
    Sony Computer Entertainment America

Naughty Dog is remaining cagey about the release date for Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception, but expect it to drop around the same time that the first Nathan Drake novel, Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth, hits next fall. (According to Wells, 2011 marks the beginning of Naughty Dog’s push to make Uncharted a “transmedia” entertainment brand, with high quality, mythology-managed storytelling extensions of the Uncharted universe created for various entertainment media, i.e. Star Wars.) That said, Uncharted 3′s release date could be announced in the first trailer for the game, scheduled to air during the Spike Videogame Awards on Dec. 11.

• renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    was just on the multiplayer last night.....they gotta improve that ?
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I am going to scream like a little girl LMAO

This ? is gonna be epic as ? . It already looks like that from those 2 screens.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    No question Im copping day one
  • NuffRespect
    NuffRespect Members Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    here go da cover Uncharted-3-cover.jpg
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    still have to cop 1 and 2
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Im definitely on it.. i dont get half the games most cats get.. and still alot of money to be spent...... ouch
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    was just on the multiplayer last night.....they gotta improve that ?

Really though
  • DaFifthElement
    DaFifthElement Members Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    1st day copparooski
  • -Karl-
    -Karl- Members Posts: 2,196 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Anyone played a 3D game yet?

I was watching Avatar on a 3D TV earlier. It was wack as ? . Between the slight blur and wearing glasses I'd rather just watch it on blu-ray.
  • -Karl-
    edited December 2010
    Options
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    WTF @ "cinematics in multiplayer"

No thank you.

Desert setting is most boring possible setting on Earth. Wandering around in a desert = Not Fun.

I am very skeptical. And the multiplayer in U2 was perfect....... until they patched it. They ? with the MP so much it felt like an on-going Beta even 6 months after it came out in stores. and releasing a game with only 6 mp Maps was unacceptable.
  • VIBE
    edited December 2010
    Options
    WTF @ "cinematics in multiplayer"

No thank you.

Desert setting is most boring possible setting on Earth. Wandering around in a desert = Not Fun.

I am very skeptical. And the multiplayer in U2 was perfect....... until they patched it. They ? with the MP so much it felt like an on-going Beta even 6 months after it came out in stores. and releasing a game with only 6 mp Maps was unacceptable.

You have a very simple mind, you're void of an imagination. They could ? with the desert ? and it will be epic, you're thinking sand and that's all.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited December 2010
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    You have a very simple mind, you're void of an imagination. They could ? with the desert ? and it will be epic, you're thinking sand and that's all.

No.

At best it is Prince of Persia with a broken airplane in the middle.
  • VIBE
    edited December 2010
    Options
    No.

At best it is Prince of Persia with a broken airplane in the middle.

Man, you don't even know though yet. All you can do is speculate. This is Uncharted, this is the cats who made Uncharted 2 that made it not boring and visually epic, I don't expect it to be boring and bland.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I ? with uncharted heavy I will most def get this one
  • focus
    edited December 2010
    Options
    First Live Demo of Uncharted 3 Hits TVs Nationwide Next Week

First Live Demo of Uncharted 3 Hits TVs Nationwide Next Week Late Night with Jimmy Fallon will show off the first live demo of hotly-anticipated Playstation 3 exclusive Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception next Monday, Dec. 13.

Show producer Gavin Purcell Tweets that developers Naughty Dog will be on hand to demonstrate the game to show host and gamer Fallon.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    -Karl- wrote: »

I was watching Avatar on a 3D TV earlier. It was wack as ? . Between the slight blur and wearing glasses I'd rather just watch it on blu-ray.

Nope........never even watched a movie in 3D.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited December 2010
    Options

yea, motorstorm in 3d is actually nice.
  • Bcotton5
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I never watched a 3D movie either
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Sony coming hard with exclusives in 2011. If you own a PS3 and you do not cop this game...SMH!!
  • -Karl-
    edited December 2010
    Options
    3D in the cinema is nice. But 3D TVs seem to be wack and blurry.
  • VIBE
    edited December 2010
    Options
    3D in the cinema is nice. But 3D TVs seem to be wack and blurry.

I've seen some sweet tv's in the stores. Put on them glasses, it's clean. Take them off, wtf are you watching? But I hear samsung has a good tv where if you're not watching in 3D then it still looks good. I think they had a review one of those on G4.
  • Bcotton5
    edited December 2010
    Options

lol whats the point of this trailer?