"Buy Black" is the dumbest thing I've ever heard

Options
soul rattler
soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Who here is familiar with the idea that Black communities should buy from Black owned businesses? The theory is that by circulating money within between Black people, there will be an economic uplift. Sounds good right?

Wrong. Black owned businesses are the WOAT. They're lazy, slow, understaffed, underpaid, understocked, and customer service is beyond laughable. Why would I spend my time and money on ? entrepreneurs? If they don't have enough respect to provide quality service to their customers, what are the chances of them giving back to their communities anyway?

Comments

• Ak Knowledge
    Ak Knowledge Members Posts: 16
    edited December 2010
    Options
    LMAO! Who cares? Whatever sells right? Eventually that black man pays a tax or some kind of land property or something that sees whites mans hands! Oooooh no!!! it's 2010 and white people see black people's money! ooooh noooo!
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I buy from whomever, whenever. As long as the service is good. It doesnt matter to me the color.
  • The BAPHOMET
    The BAPHOMET Members Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I feel ya, we should go spend our hard earned $ with people like this............

~
    "No Negros Allowed"

A sign excluding black people from a future business is enraging some people in a small town. Now, the man who put it up is speaking out.

It's a sign generations of people may have never seen. Yet a Clark County business man says it's his right to discriminate.

Federal and State law says if the business is open to the public, prohibiting people based on race is illegal. If the man's proposed gentlemen's club was going to be a private club, then an African American historian says he could discriminate. Legalities aside, his is a sign that many say is appalling.

“If I’ve got a problem with you it's going to be on the front of my store,” says Mark Prior.

Prior posted his 'No Negros Allowed' sign after he says he had some problems with black people in the past and needed to make a policy against them.

“I'm going to stick to my guns because I think I have the right as a business owner to reject service to anyone. It's not all the black people there are just a few bad ones," Prior says of his problems in the past.

Prior wants to open a gentlemen's club in a building next to the Abbotsford city hall and library. He says he moved his sign inside after someone with the city asked him to remove it.

"Our mistake is sometimes we look for logic in something that is just plain stupid," says Dr. Selika Ducksworth-Lawton, an African American historian at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire.

Ducksworth-Lawton says she feels Prior is out to get attention. She says the second he opens his business, he'll be in violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

"It's insulting to think that someone automatically sees your skin color and thinks that you're inferior and that you're not fit to be around. On the other hand, if they’re of this kind of intelligence, I’m not going to worry about it too much,” says Ducksworth-Lawton.

People in Abbotsford say it's a sign they don't welcome in their town

“It does bother me a lot that he has something like that up. My whole family lives here. All my kids, and what if my kids see it?” says a woman named Ashley who lives in Abbotsford.

But, Prior says it's his right as an American and as a business owner to decide who's welcome; a right he says he'll take all the way to court if he has to.

“That's the policy. I’m going to stick to my guns,” Prior says.

Prior told WEAU he feels people are making too big of a deal out of his sign. He says this is America and he's entitled to his opinions.

He also said it’s not just black people he’s going to ban from his future establishment. He says he has a problem with certain white people as well, but he couldn’t just put a lengthy list of names on his building so he felt ‘No Negros Allowed’ was the best policy.

Prior says he hopes to have his gentlemen's club open to the public by Friday. His previous plans to open a grocery store and his own sheriff's department haven't worked out.

Our phone call to the mayor of Abbotsford was not immediately returned.

http://www.weau.com/news/headlines/Man_posts_No_Negros_Allowed_sign.html

Is this more proof, that we are going backwards in time?...lol...is this more proof, that America's racist tea-party mindset/effect, is catching on around America?
  • soul rattler
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ES-BEE wrote: »
    I feel ya, we should go spend our hard earned $ with people like this............

Please, I'm from Chicago and overt racial discrimination doesn't exist here. Like Hyde Parke just said, spending your money where it's valued is the best option. Considering the fact that black owned business are the minority in every industry, it should be common sense to put the most into your business to attract the most customers.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Please, I'm from Chicago and overt racial discrimination doesn't exist here. Like Hyde Parke just said, spending your money where it's valued is the best option. Considering the fact that black owned business are the minority in every industry, it should be common sense to put the most into your business to attract the most customers.
    We know the Arabs and Asian run the stores in the Neighborhoods here. E. 71st St, Michigan Ave in Roseland,79th & Cottage, 47th St Madison out west, ? ' a travesty. At one time the black man had a lot of stores on these strips, but what businsess are there, clothing, shoe and beauty supplies, smh and let's not forget the corner market and liquor stores
  • soul rattler
    edited December 2010
    Options
    We know the Arabs and Asian run the stores in the Neighborhoods here. E. 71st St, Michigan Ave in Roseland,79th & Cottage, 47th St Madison out west, ? ' a travesty. At one time the black man had a lot of stores on these strips, but what businsess are there, clothing, shoe and beauty supplies, smh and let's not forget the corner market and liquor stores

And I can honestly say that I've never witnessed or experienced any racial discrimination from store owners or employees. Anytime they've gotten a bit nervous or pushy was when a large group of CPS (public school) kids come in, but that has less to do with race and more to do with age. But even with the clothing, beauty supplies, and liqour stores, they're never terrible. They serve their purpose. Even in, let's say, a Walgreens with Black clerks and managers, the ? is ridiculously unorganized and unprofessional. Why waste time and money dealing with that ? ?
  • shadb33
    shadb33 Members Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I KINDA see what u are trying to express but you are explaining it in a malicious way. This kind of thinking is keeping a lot of future black entrepreneurs out of the small business world. And honestly in my experience with black owned stores, I've gotten exceptional customer service. Alotta black folks won't even give it a chance to have an opinion on it. They are so used to going to Walmart or Target or a pharmacy store. And yes it would help black neighborhoods. Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in the country isn't it? You got people that don't want to live next to you but have no problem taking your money. I have a problem with that. I'm kinda irritated seeing all these black people going to Chinese spots to eat. I never seen an Asian person in a soul food restaurant. Buying black isn't dumb, especially when other races been supporting their own kind to come up economically whether overtly or covertly. Tariq Nasheed was explaining this in one of his podcasts, he asked brothas to help fund this documentary he's doing. Needed 20,000 Gs. It was on this website where filmmakers ask for donations to get their foot in the door of Hollywood. You got every other race donating cash to fund their movies, but most times black folks aint even trying help, they want Oprah or Michael Jordan to drop 20,000s.
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    shadb33 wrote: »
    I KINDA see what u are trying to express but you are explaining it in a malicious way. This kind of thinking is keeping a lot of future black entrepreneurs out of the small business world. And honestly in my experience with black owned stores, I've gotten exceptional customer service. Alotta black folks won't even give it a chance to have an opinion on it. They are so used to going to Walmart or Target or a pharmacy store. And yes it would help black neighborhoods. Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in the country isn't it? You got people that don't want to live next to you but have no problem taking your money. I have a problem with that. I'm kinda irritated seeing all these black people going to Chinese spots to eat. I never seen an Asian person in a soul food restaurant. Buying black isn't dumb, especially when other races been supporting their own kind to come up economically whether overtly or covertly. Tariq Nasheed was explaining this in one of his podcasts, he asked brothas to help fund this documentary he's doing. Needed 20,000 Gs. It was on this website where filmmakers ask for donations to get their foot in the door of Hollywood. You got every other race donating cash to fund their movies, but most times black folks aint even trying help, they want Oprah or Michael Jordan to drop 20,000s.

Good post Brutha.
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Who here is familiar with the idea that Black communities should buy from Black owned businesses? The theory is that by circulating money within between Black people, there will be an economic uplift. Sounds good right?

Wrong. Black owned businesses are the WOAT. They're lazy, slow, understaffed, underpaid, understocked, and customer service is beyond laughable. Why would I spend my time and money on ? entrepreneurs? If they don't have enough respect to provide quality service to their customers, what are the chances of them giving back to their communities anyway?

Cannot co-sign this post. I've had bad customer service from all racial divides.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I support Black owned businesses as often as possible. I will never feel ashamed of that.
  • IamtheVILLE
    IamtheVILLE Members Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    man soul rattler need to take soul out of his name cause he sound like a tom rattler to me