Why are Prophets always being debunked?

Options
toktaylor
toktaylor Members Posts: 612 ✭✭
edited December 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Are we afraid of the messages they bring....lets face it, over 90% of persons claiming to be prophet all predicts a dooms day or end time scenario for mankind, and that is not something that we want to hear.

In religion, a prophet is an individual who is claimed to have been contacted by the supernatural or the divine, and serves as an intermediary with humanity, delivering this newfound knowledge from the supernatural entity to other people.

The inclusion of religion and supernatural also brings out the fear in most of us...but primarily, the end of life on Earth as we know it is not welcome news to none of us. But why do most prophets insists on this result...could it be, although we refuse to acknowledge their warnings,..the end of mankind is a natural and inevitable phenomena?

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I think anyone with a clear enough perception could see that if humans continue on the way they do, ? is not going to turn out good.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    If prophets were 100% correct, the world would've "ended" (whatever that means) ages ago. There are dozens of doomsday predictions for this past decade alone.

Eventually though, humans will die out, assuming they can't get off of the Earth before it becomes uninhabitable.
  • toktaylor
    edited December 2010
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    If prophets were 100% correct, the world would've "ended" (whatever that means) ages ago. There are dozens of doomsday predictions for this past decade alone.

Eventually though, humans will die out, assuming they can't get off of the Earth before it becomes uninhabitable.

Actaully most mainstream scientists will agree that the world as 'ended' many times, such as the distruction of the earth at the time of the dinosuars, the flood ...etc.
    the fear is not for the earth to become uninhabitable over time, but suddenly, like a comet/meteor strike, a nuclear fall-out or a global man-made disease.
  • fiat_money
    edited December 2010
    Options
    toktaylor wrote: »
    Actaully most mainstream scientists will agree that the world as 'ended' many times, such as the distruction of the earth at the time of the dinosuars, the flood ...etc.
    the fear is not for the earth to become uninhabitable over time, but suddenly, like a comet/meteor strike, a nuclear fall-out or a global man-made disease.
    So the world "ending" merely refers to major extinction events? If so, these major extinction events predate human "prophets", and lend no credence to their claims.

The fact that the Earth has yet to become suddenly uninhabitable for humans also means that the multitude of predictions that such a thing would happen before this very moment are also false.
  • toktaylor
    edited December 2010
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    So the world "ending" merely refers to major extinction events? If so, these major extinction events predate human "prophets", and lend no credence to their claims.

The fact that the Earth has yet to become suddenly uninhabitable for humans also means that the multitude of predictions that such a thing would happen before this very moment are also false.
    Apart from trying to justify the "source" of their predictions, prophets may just be using the law or common belief that "everything that has a beginning, must have an end", certainly if you consider it from that notion, since mankind had a beginning then eventually an expiration date is at hand. Individually it is so (we live then we die)..perhaps collectively it is no different (the species will die out).
    That is why no prophet has been able to accurately place a precise date on humankind demise, however, they can claim that the end of all things will happen.
  • fiat_money
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Apart from trying to justify the "source" of their predictions, prophets may just be using the law or common belief that "everything that has a beginning, must have an end", certainly if you consider it from that notion, since mankind had a beginning then eventually an expiration date is at hand. Individually it is so (we live then we die)..perhaps collectively it is no different (the species will die out).
    That is why no prophet has been able to accurately place a precise date on humankind demise, however, they can claim that the end of all things will happen.
    Then they are simply theorists, and their claims can be refuted or debunked just as anyone else's can.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Are we afraid of the messages they bring....lets face it, over 90% of persons claiming to be prophet all predicts a dooms day or end time scenario for mankind, and that is not something that we want to hear.

In religion, a prophet is an individual who is claimed to have been contacted by the supernatural or the divine, and serves as an intermediary with humanity, delivering this newfound knowledge from the supernatural entity to other people.

The inclusion of religion and supernatural also brings out the fear in most of us...but primarily, the end of life on Earth as we know it is not welcome news to none of us. But why do most prophets insists on this result...could it be, although we refuse to acknowledge their warnings,..the end of mankind is a natural and inevitable phenomena?

I don't find it amazing they can predict any type of end to something but I do find it amazing when they speak on other things. The readings from Nostradamus are interesting. Even though you can't predict it before, only go back afterwards and say, "OH, that's what it was...." it is still interesting. I find those kind of things cool. Like that poem you posted.
  • whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Prophets get debunked because prophets are full of ? .
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Because they are not true prophets. The only TRUE prophets are the ones that are in the Bible such as Isaiah, Daniel, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Hosea, etc.

If you were a false prophet during the days of the true prophets, you were KILLED. If you got even 1 part of a perdiction wrong, you were labeled a false prophet and killed.

"20But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die. 21And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken? 22When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him." Deuteronomy 18:20-22

False prophets like nostradomus would have been buried under a pile of rocks if he lived in ancient Israel. That guy is a clown.

"15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves." Matthew 7:15
  • toktaylor
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Because they are not true prophets. The only TRUE prophets are the ones that are in the Bible such as Isaiah, Daniel, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Hosea, etc.

If you were a false prophet during the days of the true prophets, you were KILLED. If you got even 1 part of a perdiction wrong, you were labeled a false prophet and killed.

"20But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die. 21And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken? 22When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him." Deuteronomy 18:20-22

False prophets like nostradomus would have been buried under a pile of rocks if he lived in ancient Israel. That guy is a clown.

"15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves." Matthew 7:15

I agree...that could be why most prophets (since then) try to reveal things that will occur long after their lifetime, even John (from revelation) prophesies were not during his lifetime, so he would not have been labeled or killed for being false.
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options

That's a very stagnant closed minded approach to think that the only true prophets were some people that can not be proved or debunked by any person living. Sounds like you are trying your best to justify the bible as the undeniable truth or 100% accurate which really makes the bible look bad and I personally think people should quit doing that. If you really think the only true prophets were those in the bible you must think that every preacher is false or not "called" as they would have you believe.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited December 2010
    Options
    GSonII wrote: »
    That's a very stagnant closed minded approach to think that the only true prophets were some people that can not be proved or debunked by any person living. Sounds like you are trying your best to justify the bible as the undeniable truth or 100% accurate which really makes the bible look bad and I personally think people should quit doing that. If you really think the only true prophets were those in the bible you must think that every preacher is false or not "called" as they would have you believe.

Huh? Your argument isn't against me, your argument is against ? . He is the one that said what He said about false prophets. Now if you don't agree with Him, why don't you talk to Him about it. ? bless.
  • moongodthoth
    moongodthoth Members Posts: 76
    edited December 2010
    Options

I think the end of mankind is inevitable. The more you deny it, the harder it will be when the time comes, if it is in this lifetime, which I truly believe it is.

The reason is we have reached the peak of our cultural development. We have dug ourselves into a hole with this corporate, consumerist system we allow to run our lives. It doesn't have to be this way but we allow it to. And unless we all decide to change the way we live it's only going to get worse.

In the Quran it states that when the world is driven by corporate means, the people are reduced to consumerism, and the few are rich and the majority are poor (I'm paraphrasing) then it's near the end. That's pretty much where we're at now.

It's not just the Quran it's pretty much all the religious texts.

Life on earth gets wiped out time and time again. Before humans it was another species.

I don't see why whatever happened to the dinosaurs couldn't happen again.

4.54 billion years is how old the earth is believed to be. There earliest humans are believed to be around 200,000 years old. The existence of mankind is a flash in the greater scheme of things.

Hundreds of intelligent civilizations, human and non human have probably already been wiped out. That's what all the ancient civilizations seem to universally portray.

Personally I think the outcome will depend on where the collective consciousness of humanity is at. It is said that we manifest what we think. There was a study done (not sure of the specifics), but apparently, the average person's thoughts are 95% negative. Whether it's stress, fear, resentment, jealousy, whatever.

If that's true, then the universe will manifest itself negatively. So if we collectively raise our thought vibrations to a more positive frequency then the universe shall manifest itself likewise. But it's hard to think positively when our structure of life and culture perpetuate negative emotions.

At least that's my belief.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    What a surprise that religious texts would say the world would end when people turn away from religion. Can't imagine why the priests of those religions would write such a thing. Can't imagine a single reason...
  • moongodthoth
    moongodthoth Members Posts: 76
    edited December 2010
    Options
    What a surprise that religious texts would say the world would end when people turn away from religion. Can't imagine why the priests of those religions would write such a thing. Can't imagine a single reason...
    It really has nothing to do with religion. Religious texts simply make a prediction of the future and we seem to be mirroring that prediction. Whether or not Armageddon will happen is up for you to decide. I personally don't buy into the theatrics of it.

Its the level of corruption within our society that points to some sort of inevitable massive overhaul from my observations.

When you have people with 2.5 million dollars on their wrist (I just seen a video on youtube where Baby was showing off a new watch worth that much), and you have 2.5 million kids or more in third world countries that wont eat tonight, then the structure of humanity as a whole is ? and needs to be overhauled.

I'm ok with this if it happens. Sure we as humanity will have to face severe adversity, but it's necessary. It's like the Death card in the Tarot. In order for something to be born (a better tomorrow), something must die (our current way of life). It's the natural process of death and rebirth.

Ever wonder why the richest people in the world including the world leaders are building massive underground living complexes and have been since before 2000? They're preparing for something, but whatever it is, they don't want us to know. We're excluded.

Or maybe it's just some more conspiracy theories.
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options

Yeah. I always LOL when people talk about global warming saying "Save the planet". They mean save ourselves. The planet would still be here.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I don't understand why the ? they flagged him for doing that in the end zone, that wasn't excessive at all. I was happy he kept the damn ball in his hands this time LOL
  • toktaylor
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I think the end of mankind is inevitable. The more you deny it, the harder it will be when the time comes, if it is in this lifetime, which I truly believe it is.

The reason is we have reached the peak of our cultural development. We have dug ourselves into a hole with this corporate, consumerist system we allow to run our lives. It doesn't have to be this way but we allow it to. And unless we all decide to change the way we live it's only going to get worse.

In the Quran it states that when the world is driven by corporate means, the people are reduced to consumerism, and the few are rich and the majority are poor (I'm paraphrasing) then it's near the end. That's pretty much where we're at now.

It's not just the Quran it's pretty much all the religious texts.

Life on earth gets wiped out time and time again. Before humans it was another species.

I don't see why whatever happened to the dinosaurs couldn't happen again.

4.54 billion years is how old the earth is believed to be. There earliest humans are believed to be around 200,000 years old. The existence of mankind is a flash in the greater scheme of things.

Hundreds of intelligent civilizations, human and non human have probably already been wiped out. That's what all the ancient civilizations seem to universally portray.

Personally I think the outcome will depend on where the collective consciousness of humanity is at. It is said that we manifest what we think. There was a study done (not sure of the specifics), but apparently, the average person's thoughts are 95% negative. Whether it's stress, fear, resentment, jealousy, whatever.

If that's true, then the universe will manifest itself negatively. So if we collectively raise our thought vibrations to a more positive frequency then the universe shall manifest itself likewise. But it's hard to think positively when our structure of life and culture perpetuate negative emotions.

At least that's my belief.

i share this opinion as well
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited December 2010
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    I don't understand why the ? they flagged him for doing that in the end zone, that wasn't excessive at all. I was happy he kept the damn ball in his hands this time LOL
    i suspect it has something to do with "using the football as a prop"
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options

Going by this, in all seriousness, would it mean that Muhammad was indeed a prophet of ? ? Seeing things were mentioned and did indeed come to pass?
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited December 2010
    Options
    KLICHE wrote: »
    Going by this, in all seriousness, would it mean that Muhammad was indeed a prophet of ? ? Seeing things were mentioned and did indeed come to pass?

"8But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed." Galatians 1:8-9
  • Mr. 66Hundred
    Mr. 66Hundred Members Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Ancient prophets and prophecies have no purpose in the Modern world

the Human race evolves (not necessarily in a positive direction but its still evolution) a little bit every second of every day

and everyday it becomes harder and harder to change the minds and hearts of humans wit mere WORDS and TEXTS....

so called "prophets" (MLK, Malcom X, Ghandi) have brought forth what I perceive as moderate change WITHIN a world that changes DRAMATICALLY whether seen or unseen everyday

In my opinion the purpose of Prophets is to influence people to move towards POSITIVE change
    in religions such as Christianity the outcome of events and the end of existence has already been mapped out and predetermined
    so therefore Prophets push people to change THEMSELVES, becuz you cannot change the end result (apocalypse, judgement, armaggedon, 2012, the End of Days) whatever you wanna call the END
    they warn you to change your ways before the END comes... though the END is coming regardless

and wit that said in order to change the hearts and minds of modern man.... you would need sumwhat of a "CATASTROPHIC PROPHET OF EPIC PROPORTIONS TO BRING ABOUT A CHANGE OF EPIC PROPORTIONS"

words, texts, and miracles WILL NOT cut it anymore

if that was the case "Jesus" would have shut ? down centuries ago when he "resurrected" and we wouldnt be in the state we are in now

you have to show the whole world.... and you have to do it BIG, you can't jus talk.... no one truely listens anymore smh
    but thats jus my 2 cents cuzz
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited December 2010
    Options

http://www.mosquitonet.com/~prewett/ Discussion welcome
  • John Prewett
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Are we afraid of the messages they bring....lets face it, over 90% of persons claiming to be prophet all predicts a dooms day or end time scenario for mankind, and that is not something that we want to hear. In religion, a prophet is an individual who is claimed to have been contacted by the supernatural or the divine, and serves as an intermediary with humanity, delivering this newfound knowledge from the supernatural entity to other people. The inclusion of religion and supernatural also brings out the fear in most of us...but primarily, the end of life on Earth as we know it is not welcome news to none of us. But why do most prophets insists on this result...could it be, although we refuse to acknowledge their warnings,..the end of mankind is a natural and inevitable phenomena?

Prophets are always disputed with. But not necessarily "debunked." Prophesy must have an element of prediction. There would be no point in prophesying/predicting what everybody already knows is going to occur. So, by definition, the nonprophet hearer cannot immediately know if the prophesy/prediction is true or false.
  • John Prewett
    edited December 2010
    Options
    For instance, since 1974 I've distributed the prophecy that

JFK will publicly reappear and is the final supreme "beast" of the Revelation.

Would you believe a few people have doubted the correctness of my prophecy ?