Sociology: dependent variable and operationalization?

Options
MeTaL
MeTaL Members Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in The Social Lounge
In sociology, i have to read an article that states that poverty increases behavioral problems in children, but later states that research shows genetics can also cause issues in children.
I have found the independent and dependent variables:
Higher income=leaving poverty (independent variable) with the exception of varying family sizes leads to an increase in family time, which decreases juvenile crime and the development of (non-genetic) behavioral/physiological problems (dependent variable)

I now have to answer how the the DEPENDENT variable was operationalized.
How do i go about doing this?'

I somewhat try to brake it down into several increments:

A.Operationalisation has several, usually at least three, levels
each level making the abstract concept more and more practical and measurable

eg
1.Poverty..abstract concept
2.Income...indicator
3.categories of income..measurable indicator
4. categories of income modifed by measurable family size

1.behavioural problems
2 specific forms of problems: fighting/sulking/avoiding school
3.reported numbers of incidents of each specific form

B. the issues of validity /reliability:
of the connection between the indicators and the abstract concept form of the variable...

validity:
eg the point that income itself is not entirely valid as the family size is an important factor affecting the impact of the income

reliability:
how well can the way that the researcher has operationalised the variables be replicated by future researchers.

Comments

• Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    words like variable and operationalization make Swiff head hurt

Swiff angry

SWIFF SMASH!!!!!!
  • MeTaL
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    words like variable and operationalization make Swiff head hurt

Swiff angry

SWIFF SMASH!!!!!!

Don't ? my bro, lol
  • Joycehardin
    Joycehardin Members Posts: 5
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Sociology, the scientific study of human social behavior. As the study of humans in their collective aspect, sociology is interested in all group activities: economic, social, political and religious.
  • Jack Roller
    Jack Roller Confirm Email Posts: 24
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The answer to this is simple. More money = more chance to sweep the fuckups of your offspring under the rug. /thread
  • getchamoneyrigh
    getchamoneyrigh Members Posts: 506
    edited December 2010
    Options
    MeTaL wrote: »
    In sociology, i have to read an article that states that poverty increases behavioral problems in children, but later states that research shows genetics can also cause issues in children.
    I have found the independent and dependent variables:
    Higher income=leaving poverty (independent variable) with the exception of varying family sizes leads to an increase in family time, which decreases juvenile crime and the development of (non-genetic) behavioral/physiological problems (dependent variable)

I now have to answer how the the DEPENDENT variable was operationalized.
    How do i go about doing this?'

I somewhat try to brake it down into several increments:

A.Operationalisation has several, usually at least three, levels
    each level making the abstract concept more and more practical and measurable

eg
    1.Poverty..abstract concept
    2.Income...indicator
    3.categories of income..measurable indicator
    4. categories of income modifed by measurable family size

1.behavioural problems
    2 specific forms of problems: fighting/sulking/avoiding school
    3.reported numbers of incidents of each specific form

B. the issues of validity /reliability:
    of the connection between the indicators and the abstract concept form of the variable...

validity:
    eg the point that income itself is not entirely valid as the family size is an important factor affecting the impact of the income

reliability:
    how well can the way that the researcher has operationalised the variables be replicated by future researchers.

You have not given enough information. Or this is way more simple then you are explaining. An operation defination is only 2-3 sentances normally explaining a variable or measure. For ex: There was a correlation between lower income rates and behavioral problems, with the exception of a decrease of family size and genetic factors. From your information that is your operational defination unless I am missing something.

If you want your DV operationalized then you just need to explain what behavioral problems your are referring to. EX: It has been shown that children from low-income upbringing have been shown to be more agreesive, have conduct disorder, and ADD.
  • Jack Roller
    Jack Roller Confirm Email Posts: 24
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The answer to this is simple. More money = more chance to sweep the fuckups of your offspring under the rug. /thread

• MeTaL
    edited December 2010
    Options
    1746155 You have not given enough information. Or this is way more simple then you are explaining. An operation definition is only 2-3 sentences normally explaining a variable or measure. For ex: There was a correlation between lower income rates and behavioral problems, with the exception of a decrease of family size and genetic factors. From your information that is your operational definition unless I am missing something.

If you want your DV operationalized then you just need to explain what behavioral problems your are referring to.
    EX: It has been shown that children from low-income upbringing have been shown to be more aggressive, have conduct disorder, and ADD.

Yeah, One of them I posted in that list was fighting/sulking/avoiding school. The list you saw was actually the Dv operationalized, was trying to break it down correctly. But yeah i might need more behavioral problems..