Wikileaks is the Internet's 9/11

Options
moongodthoth
moongodthoth Members Posts: 76
edited December 2010 in The Social Lounge
So they can use that as an excuse to regulate the internet.

It's all planned. It's all controlled.

They do this kinda ? over and over again.

Problem, reaction, solution.

Conspiracy skeptics are welcome.

Comments

• KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    its not a conspiracy theory to say that governments and corporations would like to have more control of the internet

they'd certainly like to prevent more wikileaks from happening
  • moongodthoth
    edited December 2010
    Options
    its not a conspiracy theory to say that governments and corporations would like to have more control of the internet

they'd certainly like to prevent more wikileaks from happening

Do you honestly believe some random Joe has access to all this "classified" information?

The government are the ones who are leaking it, assuming you actually believe the leaked information to be true.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Considering that a multitude of people can have access to the same classified information or that hundreds of thousands of people have "top secret" security clearance, it's not too far-fetched to think that one of them may leak the information.

I've only worked for the government as an intern, and even I've had access to "classified" information.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Do you honestly believe some random Joe has access to all this "classified" information?

the ? was provided to wikileaks by US Army intelligence analyst Bradley Manning
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The internet needs to be regulated to a certain extent. ? worried that they wont be able to d/l music though....
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited December 2010
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    The internet needs to be regulated to a certain extent.

slippery slope though
  • major pain
    edited December 2010
    Options
    slippery slope though

Like most things with government intervention.
  • moongodthoth
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Problem is, once they start regulating it, where are they going to draw the line? We could end up with internet like China, their ? is locked up.
  • major pain
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Problem is, once they start regulating it, where are they going to draw the line? We could end up with internet like China, their ? is locked up.

Dont get your hopes up too quickly... there are plenty of other things we could do like China now but we havent. You should be concerned with the notion that if true regulation starts, how costly does it become.
  • moongodthoth
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Dont get your hopes up too quickly... there are plenty of other things we could do like China now but we havent. You should be concerned with the notion that if true regulation starts, how costly does it become.

I'm least concerned with the cost. I'm more concerned with the regulation of information.

I know leaking confidential documents is wrong and should be prosecuted, but I doubt the regulation would end at that.
  • major pain
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I'm least concerned with the cost. I'm more concerned with the regulation of information.

I know leaking confidential documents is wrong and should be prosecuted, but I doubt the regulation would end at that.

You must not understand what type of infrastructure it would take to try and regulate something like that. We're talking BILLIONS of dollars.
  • moongodthoth
    edited December 2010
    Options
    You must not understand what type of infrastructure it would take to try and regulate something like that. We're talking BILLIONS of dollars.

IMO, I don't think money truly exists in a tangible form for the government. Sure it does to you an me, but all our money is borrowed money the majority of which never existed in the first place.

When a single bomb costs millions, and we are trillions in debt, money becomes a joke.

They'll print whatever they need for their agenda, and meanwhile tax the hell out of us.
  • major pain
    edited December 2010
    Options
    IMO, I don't think money truly exists in a tangible form for the government. Sure it does to you an me, but all our money is borrowed money the majority of which never existed in the first place.

When a single bomb costs millions, and we are trillions in debt, money becomes a joke.

They'll print whatever they need for their agenda, and meanwhile tax the hell out of us.

You make it seem as if that easy to pull off. Look at the drama over healthcare reform and that was a topic both sides say needed an overhaul. This isnt really even being lobbied for that heavily yet. If it does happen it wont be anytime soon, and there will be so much drama around it, it will take even more years before it ever gets a written bill. What exactly are you afraid of being taken from you by regulation?
  • moongodthoth
    edited December 2010
    Options
    You make it seem as if that easy to pull off. Look at the drama over healthcare reform and that was a topic both sides say needed an overhaul. This isnt really even being lobbied for that heavily yet. If it does happen it wont be anytime soon, and there will be so much drama around it, it will take even more years before it ever gets a written bill. What exactly are you afraid of being taken from you by regulation?
    Perhaps.

I'm not afraid of anything, I just know their games.
  • major pain
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Perhaps.

I'm not afraid of anything, I just know their games.

uhhhhhh.............. ok
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options

? , if you had read my excellent slept-on thread on the Surveillance-Industrial Complex 5 months ago, you would know that over 854,000+ people have "top secret clearance", including janitors and ? .

"1,271+ government organizations and 1,931+ private companies work on programs related to counterterrorism, homeland security and intelligence in about 10,000 locations across the United States."

Remember when the Wolverine movie got leaked on the internet? That's because the studio outsourced all the special effects to dozens of companies instead of cutting a check to Industrial Light & Magic. Too many people had incomplete workprints of the film and one of em put that ? on bittorrent.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options

so in other words..........you're broke
  • moongodthoth
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    so in other words..........you're broke
    I assume your the type that believes the people you see on TV in the videos and all that are really ballin outta control.

Lol, this whole country is broke. When your country is 15 trillion in debt, do you really think you own ? ?
  • major pain
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I assume your the type that believes the people you see on TV in the videos and all that are really ballin outta control.

Lol, this whole country is broke. When your country is 15 trillion in debt, do you really think you own ? ?

Whoa... 2 very different things.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The sort of regulation I would like to see is to facilitate net neutrality, not to shut down websites that the government doesn't like. A big issue there is: can the FCC be trusted to regulate the corporations that dominate the internet or will it just be complicit. The FCC has overseen the total consolidation of the American media industry and not batted an eye.

As for US wanting to censor certain internet content by direct firewalls or shutdowns... I'm against that, but it is going to happen on some level, it's one of those rare issues that all politicians can agree on. But the internet is a tough beast to tame, there are already tons of new sites popping up that are emulating wikileaks.

As for the economic cost... we could always tax the rich a little more... O wait...
  • moongodthoth
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Whoa... 2 very different things.
    My point is most people are broke. That's why were in a recession. If anyone on these boards is ballin, they probably wouldn't be on these boards.

I sure as hell wouldn't be.

But that's speaking in terms of having a lot of pieces of paper our culture puts most of their faith in, or a longer number on a piece of paper you get out of a machine.
  • major pain
    edited December 2010
    Options
    My point is most people are broke. That's why were in a recession. If anyone on these boards is ballin, they probably wouldn't be on these boards.

I sure as hell wouldn't be.

But that's speaking in terms of having a lot of pieces of paper our culture puts most of their faith in, or a longer number on a piece of paper you get out of a machine.

There are a few people on here that are doing pretty well for themselves. You're definition of ballin might be different than someone elses.
  • moongodthoth
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Jonas.dini wrote: »
    The sort of regulation I would like to see is to facilitate net neutrality, not to shut down websites that the government doesn't like. A big issue there is: can the FCC be trusted to regulate the corporations that dominate the internet or will it just be complicit. The FCC has overseen the total consolidation of the American media industry and not batted an eye.

As for US wanting to censor certain internet content by direct firewalls or shutdowns... I'm against that, but it is going to happen on some level, it's one of those rare issues that all politicians can agree on. But the internet is a tough beast to tame, there are already tons of new sites popping up that are emulating wikileaks.

As for the economic cost... we could always tax the rich a little more... O wait...

My sentiments exactly.

But I believe if they begin regulation, it's really going to be the corporations controlling the regulation.
  • major pain
    edited December 2010
    Options
    My sentiments exactly.

But I believe if they begin regulation, it's really going to be the corporations controlling the regulation.

What do you mean by "control"?

Let's consider the music industry. It has suffered mightily because there is nothing in place to stop downloading music. So, if regulation does occur, the government would involve certain parts of the music industry to to figure out how to stop that from happening. This to me is "control" but not holistically.

Now of course, once this starts gaining ground the big businesses will start paying money to lobby for the bill and you have the problem of corruption etc.
  • moongodthoth
    edited December 2010
    Options
    What do you mean by "control"?

Let's consider the music industry. It has suffered mightily because there is nothing in place to stop downloading music. So, if regulation does occur, the government would involve certain parts of the music industry to to figure out how to stop that from happening. This to me is "control" but not holistically.

Now of course, once this starts gaining ground the big businesses will start paying money to lobby for the bill and you have the problem of corruption etc.
    What I mean by control is the independent voices will not be heard like in the music industry and the mainstream media.

People that have a different message apart from the corporate agendas are stifled.

The internet is pretty much the only place where independent voices can be heard.

I agree with you tho. There can be benefits. But there is always the possibility of corruption. In my experience, any time money is involved, there is usually corruption.