What's Obama's position on the War on Drugs? Same as Ronald Reagan's.

Options
KTULU IS BACK
KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
edited December 2010 in The Social Lounge
http://www.thenation.com/article/156997/obamas-drug-war
For those who might imagine that the 2009 stimulus package was an aberration, Obama's proposed drug control budget for 2011 reveals that hard economic times are not translating into any scaling back of the drug war. John Carnevale, former director of planning and budget at the ONDCP, testified before a Congressional subcommittee charged with reviewing the 2011 drug control budget in April that "with the arrival of the Obama administration came the hope that a new budget would emerge that would redress the failures of the past"; but instead the new budget looks much like the old one. To make matters worse, Carnevale explained, the 2011 budget does not represent a comprehensive accounting of federal drug control expenditures. Many spending categories that have been counted as "prevention" or "treatment" are actually funding law enforcement or non-drug-related programs—calling into question the claim that treatment funding is on the rise. In Carnevale's words, "The last time this nation saw such a large emphasis on supply reduction was the Reagan administration."

Whether one believes, as Carnevale apparently does, that Obama's drug war is actually worse than his predecessors', one thing is clear: Obama is in no hurry to scale it back to any significant degree, much less end it. The drug war is now too deeply rooted in our nation's political and economic structure to be cast aside. The war rhetoric may have ended and the song may have changed, but the system hums along.

Change? No we can't.

Comments

• shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    what a joke.

Democrats should just disown this empty suit and start looking for someone to salvage their party.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    what a joke.

Democrats should just disown this empty suit and start looking for someone to salvage their party.

lol

he's all you got ?
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Anyone have any idea who the independents might be in the next election?

The war on drugs has no purpose at all. Heroin and ? ain't what it used to be, never has anyone OD'd on Weed. If they want a war on drugs so bad why haven't they started shutting down all these pharmaceutical companies? Obviously we know why but ? is ridiculous. The Americans who support this stupid ass "war" are even worst. So much could be changed for the good of the country and the world by legalizing weed and allowing ? to be used.
  • Swiffness!
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The war on drugs has no purpose at all. Heroin and ? ain't what it used to be, never has anyone OD'd on Weed. If they want a war on drugs so bad why haven't they started shutting down all these pharmaceutical companies? Obviously we know why but ? is ridiculous. The Americans who support this stupid ass "war" are even worst. So much could be changed for the good of the country and the world by legalizing weed and allowing ? to be used.

You know, I've been meaning to make a thread about this......

I support Marijuana. But I've seen alot of people act like legalizing weed would "end" the drug war. "End the Drug War, Legalize Weed!" and all that. Smh. Why do people act like that's true?

Hard Drugs are a serious problem for civilization. Because in addition to being terrible ? poisons that turn people into zombies, the money it generates funds some awful, awful ? . ? , look what happened in Mexico when the Gov't stopped taking bribes from the cartels and actually started fighting them. Another 10,000 dead in 2010. Those Mexican ? been torturing and cutting heads off Iraqi insurgent style. ? is real down there. You can argue that legalizing weed would stop this, but that really isn't true because they get higher profits and longer money from coke, ? , and heroin. ("Although Mexico accounts for only a small share of worldwide heroin production, it supplies a large share of the heroin distributed in the United States.") What are you gonna do, legalize all dat and let Sony and Wal-Mart get into the ? game? Oh yeah, I'm sure that'll turn out well for society. Like I said: Hard Drugs are a serious problem for civilization. We'll fix Global Warming and The Debt with time for a AIDS vaccine before we solve this ? .
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »

I support Marijuana. But I've seen alot of people act like legalizing weed would "end" the drug war. "End the Drug War, Legalize Weed!" and all that. Smh. Why do people act like that's true?

No, I'm only for the legalization of Marijuana and ? . But imo if they are going to spend billions upon billions to stop drugs like ? and Coke all the way down to Marijuana, then they should also do a better job in the Pharma area as well. And the money we're spending is doing little. We're not stopping it, never will be able to stop it. If we are going to spend 40 billion a year to only limit some of the drugs in the country it's not worth it, that 40 billion that we use to virtually make a few busts a year would do much better if used for things like, free rehab facilities, and putting that money into areas that can fix the surrounding area that often causes people to use these drugs.

The reason I'm for legalizing weed is because it's not a severe drug. I've never seen someone sell a TV for a dime bag, never seen OD on a blunt, it's harmless to those around you. And it's also a better option then a lot of narcotics. Weeds addictive just like they are yes, but you can't argue that narcotics, opiums, and pain killers have a far worst total impact on both the user and those around the user. There will be a revenue increase from it, we could cut the tax money used on the drug war by as much as 10 billion, we can regulate how much is distributed. We can grow and sell it for half of what it sells for on the street which will slow down dealers because no one is going to go get a dub and pay 20 when they can get the same amount of weed for $10 legally.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options

Hard Drugs are a serious problem for civilization. Because in addition to being terrible ? poisons that turn people into zombies, the money it generates funds some awful, awful ? . ? , look what happened in Mexico when the Gov't stopped taking bribes from the cartels and actually started fighting them. Another 10,000 dead in 2010. Those Mexican ? been torturing and cutting heads off Iraqi insurgent style. ? is real down there. You can argue that legalizing weed would stop this, but that really isn't true because they get higher profits and longer money from coke, ? , and heroin. ("Although Mexico accounts for only a small share of worldwide heroin production, it supplies a large share of the heroin distributed in the United States.") What are you gonna do, legalize all dat and let Sony and Wal-Mart get into the ? game? Oh yeah, I'm sure that'll turn out well for society. Like I said: Hard Drugs are a serious problem for civilization. We'll fix Global Warming and The Debt with time for a AIDS vaccine before we solve this ? .

Very wise post. I support legalization of weed and hope it is taxed, but hard drugs really do cause problems.

Obama is a fool for at least not softening the rules on marijuana, but he is right to continue prosecution of hard drugs. HOWEVER, funding should be cut prosecuting these kind of crimes. We need money diverted to states to better build American infrastructure and to have a much bigger and reliable safety net for the unemployed to rely on.
  • Swiffness!
    edited December 2010
    Options
    that 40 billion that we use to virtually make a few busts a year would do much better if used for things like, free rehab facilities, and putting that money into areas that can fix the surrounding area that often causes people to use these drugs.

Well yea, we can fund some great rehab systems for 40 billion, but fix all the ghettos and slums for 40 billion? HA HA HA no. You'd be lucky if 40 billion is enough to fix Detroit.
    The reason I'm for legalizing weed is because it's not a severe drug.

Co-sign.
    I've never seen someone sell a TV for a dime bag, never seen OD on a blunt, it's harmless to those around you.

Co-sign. Well, actually I remember this one pothead ? traded his Xbox, a couple games and 2 controllers for an eighth of some killa, SMH. But yeah, I get what you're saying.
    And it's also a better option then a lot of narcotics.

Co-sign.
    Weeds addictive just like they are yes, but you can't argue that narcotics, opiums, and pain killers have a far worst total impact on both the user and those around the user.

Co-sign. People get addicted to Fried Chicken, Soap Operas, and Pro Wrestling back when it didn't SUCK.
    There will be a revenue increase from it, we could cut the tax money used on the drug war by as much as 10 billion, we can regulate how much is distributed.

Co-sign.
    We can grow and sell it for half of what it sells for on the street which will slow down dealers because no one is going to go get a dub and pay 20 when they can get the same amount of weed for $10 legally.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit son.......do not underestimate the power of capitalism.......weed would be vastly cheaper and more potent. They'd have ounces of Sony High Definition Cannabis at 7-11 for 40 bucks ? .
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ? , look what happened in Mexico when the Gov't stopped taking bribes from the cartels-
    wait, when did THAT happen? oh, i kid, Mexico, i kid. OR DO I
    You can argue that legalizing weed would stop this, but that really isn't true because they get higher profits and longer money from coke, ? , and heroin.
    the less money we put into the pockets of drug cartels, the better
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Like Obama was even gonna be able to do anything with all the problems he inherited, the opposing party, society's stupidity, and his own squad not backing him up. Plus his bi-partisanship(which he told you ? he was on while campaigning)
  • Swiffness!
    edited December 2010
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    wait, when did THAT happen? oh, i kid, Mexico, i kid. OR DO I

well, i think we can safely assume that the cartels and gov't aren't exactly on the best terms right now, with the mass decapitations n whatnot
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited December 2010
    Options
    shenco wrote: »
    Like Obama was even gonna be able to do anything with all the problems he inherited, the opposing party, society's stupidity, and his own squad not backing him up. Plus his bi-partisanship(which he told you ? he was on while campaigning)

This isn't about Obama being hindered from doing what he wants.

What he wants, in the drug war, is the same thing the Right Wing wants.
  • Swiffness!
    edited December 2010
    Options
    What he wants, in the drug war, is the same thing the Right Wing wants.

Tough on Crime, why do u want 2 corrupt our childrens ktulu
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Tough on Crime, why do u want 2 corrupt our childrens ktulu

mandatory ? IV drips for all pre-schoolers
  • Swiffness!
    edited December 2010
    Options
    mandatory ? IV drips for all pre-schoolers

? help those teachers
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Anyone have any idea who the independents might be in the next election?

No, I'm only for the legalization of Marijuana and ? . But imo if they are going to spend billions upon billions to stop drugs like ? and Coke all the way down to Marijuana, then they should also do a better job in the Pharma area as well. And the money we're spending is doing little. We're not stopping it, never will be able to stop it. If we are going to spend 40 billion a year to only limit some of the drugs in the country it's not worth it, that 40 billion that we use to virtually make a few busts a year would do much better if used for things like, free rehab facilities, and putting that money into areas that can fix the surrounding area that often causes people to use these drugs.

The reason I'm for legalizing weed is because it's not a severe drug. I've never seen someone sell a TV for a dime bag, never seen OD on a blunt, it's harmless to those around you. And it's also a better option then a lot of narcotics. Weeds addictive just like they are yes, but you can't argue that narcotics, opiums, and pain killers have a far worst total impact on both the user and those around the user. There will be a revenue increase from it, we could cut the tax money used on the drug war by as much as 10 billion, we can regulate how much is distributed. We can grow and sell it for half of what it sells for on the street which will slow down dealers because no one is going to go get a dub and pay 20 when they can get the same amount of weed for $10 legally.
    Very wise post. I support legalization of weed and hope it is taxed, but hard drugs really do cause problems.

Obama is a fool for at least not softening the rules on marijuana, but he is right to continue prosecution of hard drugs. HOWEVER, funding should be cut prosecuting these kind of crimes. We need money diverted to states to better build American infrastructure and to have a much bigger and reliable safety net for the unemployed to rely on.

decriminalizing is key not legalizing
  • shootemwon
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Dems won't disown him, over this, because they are cool with his direction for The War On Drugs.

Let us remember, the war on drugs is currently a proven tool of our GOVT, for oppressing Black males;

discriminate against them in the U.S. Workplace and black-ball them into illegal drug sales, to survive...so they get placard with that inevitable felony which shuts them out of jobs, opportunity, and society, where they are alienated anyway.

think about it...

the consensus on African-Americans drug of choice, appears to be marijuana, the only drug deemed non-dangerous by the USDA classification in terms of what's on the DEA's radar...yet still...it's the drug that is currently used most, to send Black males to prison. Especially, since the SCOTUS recently deemed Clinton's Crime Bill unconstitutional as it unfairly focused on incarcerating inner-city urban males via ? -? .

They won't disown him over any of the bad things he's done, they just should.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited December 2010
    Options
    goldenja wrote: »
    decriminalizing is key not legalizing

And? We were talking about legalization not decriminalization.
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    And? We were talking about legalization not decriminalization.

AND i feel that if we (USA) decriminalize it first, then we can legalize it. kinda like we're skipping a step, its bound to fall through imo
  • quiet1
    quiet1 Members Posts: 146
    edited December 2010
    Options
    All drugs should be legal to carry. Why should I go to jail because I want to smoke rocks? Arrest me when I actually commit a crime.
  • shootemwon
    edited December 2010
    Options
    goldenja wrote: »
    AND i feel that if we (USA) decriminalize it first, then we can legalize it. kinda like we're skipping a step, its bound to fall through imo

To me, at least when the issue is marijuana, the big sell on a shift in policy could be the revenue, in which case legalization is a must. As far as I know, we can't tax a product that isn't legal.