Equality in social class? sociology.?

Options
MeTaL
MeTaL Members Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in The Social Lounge
Equality is a way of measuring how people are treated in comparison to other people. Such as women getting paid the same as men, African Americans joining the same clubs as Caucasians, etc. People of all sexes and skins must be considered equal.

What is your view on this? or like me you feel like this should happen no matter what...

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I think everything should be open to everyone. But you can't say that a club or organization shouldn't be open because it doesn't have mixed members. There are some things that don't have to be mixed. It would be foolish for a white guy to be a black panther, I don't think there are any blacks in Croatian Clubs, the NHPO isn't going to have non Hispanic members, and that's fine. It's statistically shown that female nurses have higher approval ratings than males, its statistically shown that male teachers have higher grades among students. So there's some things that are not going to be completely mixed, and there's some areas where people are better than another. In the NBA are you going to lower the quality of the game to make sure you have a fair amount of nationalities in it? In golf should you fix the rules so more black players can make the cut? If you're hiring a teacher and both the male and female have equal qualifications should you higher the female because there are enough male employees while you know that the odds are in favor of the male teacher getting better grades from his students.

I think being able to understand differences and accept them is just as important as allowing everyone an equal opportunity.
  • MeTaL
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I think everything should be open to everyone. But you can't say that a club or organization shouldn't be open because it doesn't have mixed members. There are some things that don't have to be mixed. It would be foolish for a white guy to be a black panther, I don't think there are any blacks in Croatian Clubs, the NHPO isn't going to have non Hispanic members, and that's fine. It's statistically shown that female nurses have higher approval ratings than males, its statistically shown that male teachers have higher grades among students. So there's some things that are not going to be completely mixed, and there's some areas where people are better than another. In the NBA are you going to lower the quality of the game to make sure you have a fair amount of nationalities in it? In golf should you fix the rules so more black players can make the cut? If you're hiring a teacher and both the male and female have equal qualifications should you higher the female because there are enough male employees while you know that the odds are in favor of the male teacher getting better grades from his students.

I think being able to understand differences and accept them is just as important as allowing everyone an equal opportunity.

Totally respect your point of view, It just that equality is something that is slowing disappearing in today's society.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited December 2010
    Options
    MeTaL wrote: »
    Totally respect your point of view, It just that equality is something that is slowing disappearing in today's society.

Imo it's really certain groups pushing for special things that lead to some of it.

If you get rid of a black history month and incorporate it into regular history then that's something that raises equality. But then you have those who complain because certain things will be left out because American History as a whole extends way beyond just African Americans.

If you incorporate homosexuals into society they complain because they want their own things to express themselves.

You have vegans go out of their way to let it be known they aren't the same as people who eat meat.

Atheist distance themselves from irrational thinking and have certain things that religious people won't attend.

Some religious people distance themselves from rational thinking and as a result we stay away from their organized events.

Basically what I'm getting at is that some people who complain about not being treated equal, later bring the downfall because once they start making strides to being treated equal they want to ask for all kinds of special things to go along with it. Just curious though what are some of the areas that you feel equality is slipping away from?
  • MeTaL
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Imo it's really certain groups pushing for special things that lead to some of it.

If you get rid of a black history month and incorporate it into regular history then that's something that raises equality. But then you have those who complain because certain things will be left out because American History as a whole extends way beyond just African Americans.

If you incorporate homosexuals into society they complain because they want their own things to express themselves.

You have vegans go out of their way to let it be known they aren't the same as people who eat meat.

Atheist distance themselves from irrational thinking and have certain things that religious people won't attend.

Some religious people distance themselves from rational thinking and as a result we stay away from their organized events.

Basically what I'm getting at is that some people who complain about not being treated equal, later bring the downfall because once they start making strides to being treated equal they want to ask for all kinds of special things to go along with it. Just curious though what are some of the areas that you feel equality is slipping away from?

@ bold nypd cops using excessive force on people and not following rules of their guidelines. I get stop by the cops mostly everyday, Just got stop by one, on my way home from school/college. Find it very interesting and funny though, how can they assume that I am criminal. I mean I am big and muscular, not only that walk with a angry look on my face.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited December 2010
    Options
    @ bold nypd cops using excessive force on people and not following rules of their guidelines. I get stop by the cops mostly everyday, Just got stop by one, on my way home from school/college. Find it very interesting and funny though, how can they assume that I am criminal. I mean I am big and muscular, not only that walk with a angry look on my face.

Just about everyday? lol Where the ? you live?

And yea the Police force is very discriminative. But for every 100 whites you pull over and find weed or something in the car it's like 10 blacks.

IMO the real inequality now in the US and the world is not gender or race it's wealth. While gender and race still play a part, they have made very long strides over the last 50 years for the better where as the mistreatment of those without money by those with money has grown worst.
  • MeTaL
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Just about everyday? lol Where the ? you live?

And yea the Police force is very discriminative. But for every 100 whites you pull over and find weed or something in the car it's like 10 blacks.

IMO the real inequality now in the US and the world is not gender or race it's wealth. While gender and race still play a part, they have made very long strides over the last 50 years for the better where as the mistreatment of those without money by those with money has grown worst.

I live in brooklyn. Good part of brooklyn. it usually when in the train station going to school and coming home.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    metal, are you asking the internet to help you with your 101 homework?
  • MeTaL
    edited December 2010
    Options
    metal, are you asking the internet to help you with your 101 homework?

No, just simply trying to make some interesting topics.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    No, just simply trying to make some interesting topics.

lol surrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre

you ever need some "writing" done, grab a paypal and pm a ?
  • MeTaL
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    lol surrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre

you ever need some "writing" done, grab a paypal and pm a ?

Hahahaha, i am good man thanks though, in all seriousness I am just trying to put some good topics in the S L, can't really think of none.
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Generally, when people discuss equality, they are either talking about Equality of Opportunity or Equality of Outcome. Names are kinda self explanatory, so I won't bother unless someone asks.

One proud claim made by many Americans is that we have abundant equality of opportunity in this country. However, we don't have a great rate of social mobility, in other words, not many people who are born into poverty become wealthy. It seems to me that the further we get from economic equality of outcome, the harder it is to preserve equality of opportunity.

Equality of opportunity is also hindered by various societal factors. The fact that some public schools are much better than is one of the big ones, and this itself is linked to unequal economic outcomes.
  • CaliGuerillaBlazin
    CaliGuerillaBlazin Members Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Sociology is very interesting, would like to Major in it.

I'm all for equality, the problems is certain things like institutionalized discrimination that exist within the system we live in that is all too common. For instance being young and of color we most often have negative interactions with police. I have no criminal record, a college student, and have been harassed and discriminated against many a times by da police but I'm not stupid and that has kept me alive. I know my rights, trying to beat a ticket right now.

Other institutions like schools are apparent by their geographical location(ghetto,suburbs), I traveled about 15 miles to the Westside for school, who knows what would have happened elsewhere in a ? school.

Its always about Race, even when its not about Race.

Although I do believe wealth plays a huge factor as well, social stratification is a ? and intertwines with Race. Money talks tho of course and I believe everyone has a price. So if u got enough money u can be blue or from mars.

There's many factors and variables but one thing for sure is that the levels of quality enjoyed by some are not the same to others. I don't have white privilege or ever will. This country is still better than others it's just the ? that we are equal when we are not that sets us back. Post-racial society my ass.