Vatican Bank mired in laundering scandal

Options
Rock_Well
Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
The Vatican calls the seizure of assets a "misunderstanding" and expresses optimism it will be quickly cleared up. But court documents show that prosecutors say the Vatican Bank deliberately flouted anti-laundering laws "with the aim of hiding the ownership, destination and origin of the capital." The documents also reveal investigators' suspicions that clergy may have acted as fronts for corrupt businessmen and Mafia.

The documents pinpoint two transactions that have not been reported: one in 2009 involving the use of a false name, and another in 2010 in which the Vatican Bank withdrew €650,000 ($860,000) from an Italian bank account but ignored bank requests to disclose where the money was headed.

Yet the scandal is hardly the first for the centuries-old bank. In 1986, a Vatican financial adviser died after drinking cyanide-laced coffee in prison. Another was found dangling from a rope under London's Blackfriars Bridge in 1982, his pockets stuffed with money and stones. The incidents blackened the bank's reputation, raised suspicions of ties with the Mafia, and cost the Vatican hundreds of millions of dollars in legal clashes with Italian authorities.

On Sept. 21, financial police seized assets from a Vatican Bank account at the Rome branch of Credito Artigiano SpA. Investigators said the Vatican had failed to furnish information on the origin or destination of the funds as required by Italian law.

The bulk of the money, €20 million ($26 million), was destined for JP Morgan in Frankfurt, with the remainder going to Banca del Fucino.

As the Vatican proclaims its innocence, the courts are holding firm. An Italian court has rejected a Vatican appeal to lift the order to seize assets.
the court has rejected the Vatican appeal...haha, that's good for them

I left out a lot of info in the original article, but that can be read here - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40628315/ns/world_news-europe/

anybody surprised by this? My ? was trippin out when he told me about this (he used to be Catholic).

wonder who shown the light on them and exposed them like that.

Comments

• gum989
    gum989 Members Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    This might sound ? up, but I enjoy hearing about ? like this.
  • Rock_Well
    edited December 2010
    Options
    but, but, aren't Catholics and the vatican, like, the most Holy examples of ? 's people on earth???

To this day i don't understand how they are able to continually pull off having the biggest following amongst all the false/denominational doctrines in Christianity
  • Rock_Well
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Not in light of all the money and wealth which has always surrounded Opus Dei, relative to The Vatican

yea i really wasn't surprised either
    gum989 wrote: »
    This might sound ? up, but I enjoy hearing about ? like this.

Nah, it's not messed up....everyone likes seeing ppl get was they deserve at some point
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The main, if not the only, reason Jesus has allowed the Vatican to survive/thrive for over a thousand years is cause the Vatican uniquely fulfills the Revelation chapters 17 & 18 prediction description of the "Great ? ." This visible and verifiable fulfilment confirms the truth of Jesus Christ. Also sheds great light on past, present and future events. Wanna be blessed ? The Revelation explicitly promises to bless whoever heeds it.