Plot synopsis with spoilers for X-Men First Class... From IMDb

Options
ra-mes1
ra-mes1 Members Posts: 420 ✭✭
edited December 2010 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Guess I'll just have wait about 10 years for Marvel to do the reboot from their own studios. Fox continues to mangle my favorite franchise.

Charles Xavier and Erik Magnus Lensherr met as young men in the 1960s at Oxford University. Xavier received doctorates in theology and philosophy with post-graduate work in International Development Studies at the U.N. Xavier was a wealthy son of English gentry and had studied at Eton, excelling in physics, calculus, and chemistry as well as captaining the school's la crosse team. Lensherr was the son of a Jewish physician in Germany pre-WWII. His parents and nearly all extended family were gassed by ? death squads at Auschwitz. Lensherr's mutant ability to control metal via magnetic manipulation allowed him to break out of a cattle stock car and escape to France where he served briefly in the guerrilla resistance. After the Allies stormed the beaches at Normandy, Lensherr volunteered to act as an interpreter for British Intelligence (he spoke French, German, English, and Hebrew) as liberated Jews were re-located to the fledgling country, Trans-Jordan (now Israel).

Impressed by his linguistics, Lensherr was awarded a scholarship to study at Oxford, where he met a charismatic young Xavier. The two students became fast friends, based on respect for each other's intellects, while maintaining a rivalry on politics, ethics, and religion. In 1965, Xavier revealed his psychic powers by manipulating student uprisings via peaceful means. Lensherr was intrigued by the possibilities of controlling other people's minds, while Xavier asserted a universal Right to Free Will. Through a clandestine operation funded by Britain's MI5 and the CIA, Xavier & Lensherr opened the first School of Mutant Resources to study the new phenomena of "? superior"--humans with a mutant "X" gene, which enabled preternatural powers. Among the first students to enroll were Scott Summers (Cyclops,) Hank McCoy (Beast,) Jean Grey (Phoenix,) Ororo Munroe (Storm,) Raven Darkholme (Mystique,) Mortimer Toynbee (Toad) and Emma Frost (White Queen).

Rival factions surfaced as half of the students empathized with Xavier's dream of peaceful co-existence with humans vs Lensherr's belief that humans were inferior and deserved slavery. These ideals started to solidify as more human civilians became aware of mutant-kind and generally reacted with fear and hatred. Meanwhile, the U.S. military began its own black-ops program titled "Weapon X" capturing and brainwashing powerful mutants to serve as alternatives to nuclear or chemical programs. Xavier and Lensherr designed and built Cerebro in a secret, underground facility in Westchester, New York in order to track "wild mutants" i.e. mutants who did not know they had powers or how to control them. Again, Xavier hoped these new mutants could be trained for (and would choose) peace, while Lensherr maintained a more aggressive stance. After an angry xenophobic mob killed a young mutant boy (Banshee), who had developed gills and webbed fingers, Lensherr struck back against the perpetrators, "outing" himself by causing metal garden tools to fly through the air and impale 4 people.

He then began calling himself MAGNETO and urged his students/followers to take on a code name reflecting their individual powers. Chasing Magneto and his Brotherhood of Mutants to a secret base in the middle of Antarctica, Xavier and his followers (now calling themselves X-Men) sought to extradite Magneto to the United States', Guantanamo prison, but in the battle Magneto used a shard of metal to sever Xavier's spinal cord, leaving him paralyzed. Using the combined powers of Cerebro, Jean Grey, Emma Frost, and himself, Xavier wiped the collective memory of mutant-kind from 99% of humans on Earth.

However, Colonel William Stryker used an adamantium shield to preserve his own memories and secretly took over Weapon X's training facilities (located underneath Alkali Lake in British Colombia) and wild mutants for his own purposes. *Note: Magneto also created a helmet to shield his brain from Xavier's control.

Comments

• antoseeg
    antoseeg Members Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I hate how they change the stories and limit the mutants powers. I don't know why hollywood studios seem to think if they keep a movie the same as the original book or script they won't make a lot of money. All fans want to see in my opinion is their favorite characters brought on screen the way their supposed to be.
  • ra-mes1
    ra-mes1 Members Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    antoseeg wrote: »
    I hate how they change the stories and limit the mutants powers. I don't know why hollywood studios seem to think if they keep a movie the same as the original book or script they won't make a lot of money. All fans want to see in my opinion is their favorite characters brought on screen the way their supposed to be.

Exactly....or at least close. What's so hard about putting cyclops, beast, angel, marvel girl and ice man together, gottammmit? But I think this is a follow up sequel/prequel to the end of Wolverine: Origins and before X1, where they showed prof. X coming for scott and the others so they "need" to use the same characters even tho they're totally out of context.
  • antoseeg
    antoseeg Members Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ra-mes1 wrote: »
    Exactly....or at least close. What's so hard about putting cyclops, beast, angel, marvel girl and ice man together, gottammmit? But I think this is a follow up sequel/prequel to the end of Wolverine: Origins and before X1, where they showed prof. X coming for scott and the others so they "need" to use the same characters even tho they're totally out of context.

Yeah, the creators of the X-men movies are acting like the comics didn't even exist. And I see you an old x-men fan, me personally I would like to see the "semi-new" lineup of Cyclops, Phoenix, Gambit, Wolverine, Rogue, Storm, Beast, Bishop, Psylocke, Colossus And Nightcrawler with the other lesser known characters thrown in. But they've already messed up that lineup like they did the old one so that's never going to happen unless they do a reboot.

And the whole Wolverine Orgins movie was out of context and I really hate the fact how in all the X-men movies they never show Wolverine to be a martial arts expert, in fact he pretty much gets his ass kicked in every film by people who shouldn't even be in the same league as him based on the comics.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ra-mes1 wrote: »

This group should really be Cyclops, Beast, Marvel Girl, and Iceman; no one else. That's the original X Men, Angel didn't come in until the second squad formed with Colossus, Storm, Thunderbirt, Nightcrawler, Shadowcat, Storm, and Phoenix.

What has consistently ? me off about these movies AND the cartoons has been their insistance on Iceman being a kid and as part of what really amounts to The New Mutants.
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    got damn, is that the entire script? (didnt read)
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    This group should really be Cyclops, Beast, Marvel Girl, and Iceman; no one else. That's the original X Men, Angel didn't come in until the second squad formed with Colossus, Storm, Thunderbirt, Nightcrawler, Shadowcat, Storm, and Phoenix.

Not sure how or why you understand it this way, but the original X-men did include 5 members: Cyclops, Beast, Marvel Girl, Iceman and yes...Angel. That is the official X-Men: First Class.

A little while later Havok and Polaris were added to the team. Then everyone left the team, except for Cyclops, and the new team consisted of Cyclops, Storm, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Colossus, Thunderbird, Banshee, and Sunfire. No Shadowcat...she didn't join the team until years later. And Jean Grey was not really a member of the X-Men after that either. Again, she'd left when the Iceman, Beast, and Angel did. Then became the Phoenix shortly after, then the Dark Phoenix, then committed suicide, was resurrected, joined X-Factor and didn't rejoin the X-Men officially until X-Factor and The X-Men merged years later.
  • not this again!
    not this again! Members Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options

What are you talking about?

The five founding members of the X-Men were Cyclops, Beast, Angel, Iceman, and Marvel Girl. Marvel Girl was the last member to join the original team.

Angel DID serve briefly with the second generation X-Men when Cyclops left the team, but he was definitely a member of the original squad.

And if that really is the plot synopsis of X-Men: First Class, it's going to suck harder than a ? at the Chicken Ranch. I wish Marvel would find a way to get the film rights to the X-Men away from Fox.
  • JazznJazz
    JazznJazz Members Posts: 152
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Summary of the movie...