Woman describes hitting school board gunman. "I did not have a plan B"

Options
northside7
northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in The Social Lounge
"'I did not have a plan B,' says board member who was ordered from the room, but returned to try to save colleagues. Police say Clay Duke, a 56-year-old ex-convict, fatally shot himself. Duke was charged in October 1999 with aggravated stalking, shooting or throwing a missile into a building or vehicle and obstructing justice, according to state records."

PANAMA CITY, Fla. - A Florida school board member told Wednesday how she was ordered out of a meeting by an ex-convict armed with a gun, but returned to hit him with/ her purse in an attempt to save her colleagues.
In an incident that was caught on video, ? Littleton sneaked up behind the man and hit his right arm with her purse. She failed to dislodge the gun, and he turned it on her, but did not fire.
In an interview with TODAY, she said that she knew she could "walk away and try to live with myself" or take action and hope "the cavalry would come soon."

The gunman, Clay A. Duke, fired point-blank at school board members several times but, astonishingly, missed. One school board member said bullet holes could be seen just inches from where he had been.

A security guard arrived, the two men exchanged fire and Duke was wounded. He then fatally shot himself.
Duke appeared to be upset that his wife had been fired from a job with the district. Panama City Police Chief John Van Etten said Duke had been planning the shooting for some time and it was not a "spur of the moment" act.

Tuesday's date was circled on a calendar found in the trailer where Duke lived north of Panama City.
Bay District personnel director Tommye Lou Richardson says Rebecca Crowder-Duke was fired in February. The district hired her in September 2009 to teach students with special needs, but she didn't pass probation. Richardson says Crowder-Duke had questioned her termination but never filed a lawsuit. She couldn't specify why the woman was fired.

She was apparently living with her mother in a nearby town.
For much of the meeting Duke sat with the rest of the audience, listening to routine business.
But, as the board was in the midst of a discussion, he walked to the front of the room, spray painted a red "V" with a circle around it on the white wall — an apparent reference to the film "V for Vendetta" — then turned and waved the handgun.
He ordered everyone — including Littleton — to "hit the road," except for the men on the board, who were sitting behind a long beige desk.

Despite his shock, Bay City Schools Superintendent Bill Husfelt tried to persuade Duke to drop the gun. But the 56-year-old ex-convict just shook his head, blaming officials for his wife being fired.
'That look in his eyes' Video showed him slowly raising the gun and leveling it at Husfelt, who pleaded, "Please don't, please don't."
"He had that look in his eyes," Husfelt told NBC's TODAY on Wednesday. "I've seen anger before, and he almost had like a grimace, a smile. He had planned to do this and we knew it wasn't going to end well.

"That guy had a mission; he'd already told us he was going to die, he told us he was going to ? himself basically, and he was going to try to do the same to us," he added.
Husfelt told Duke he would be responsible for Duke's wife's dismissal and said the board members should be allowed to leave.
"It was so surreal. You couldn't believe it was going on," Husfelt added.

Husfelt in the exchange on video tells Duke: "I've got a feeling you want the cops to come in and ? you because you said you are going to die today."

Duke shot twice at Husfelt from about 8 feet away and squeezed off several more rounds before security guard Mike Jones bolted in and, after exchanging gunfire with Duke, wounded him in the leg or side.
Duke then fatally shot himself, police Sgt. Jeff Becker said.

Somehow, no one else who remained in the small board room was injured in the clash that lasted several minutes.
Husfelt, speaking later at a press conference, said Jones' intervention had "saved our lives."
"That gentleman was not going to stop shooting," he said. "He only turned around after he was hit twice by Mike. He had more ammunition and he was going to keep going."

'Like ducks in a pond' "My guys were lined up like ducks in a pond," Littleton told TODAY. "So I could either walk away and try to live with myself because I knew something bad was going to happen, or I could try to defend, delay, somehow or other divert, hoping that the cavalry would come soon.

"My guys had three-ring binders and pencils to protect themselves, so I whacked him with the purse, hoping I could get him to drop the gun. Obviously that didn't work. I did not have a Plan B."

Duke, a large, heavyset man dressed in a dark pullover coat, got angry and turned around as Littleton fell to the floor.
Duke pointed the gun at her head and said, "You stupid b----" but he didn't shoot her, she said. She's not sure why.
"He had every opportunity to take me out," Littleton said.
She told the press conference that seeing the bullet holes in the room and blood on the floor had brought home how serious the incident had been.

"I have three wonderful daughters. They said to me, 'Mom, are you just stupid? What were you thinking?'" she said. "I don't have an answer for that. I don't know what I was thinking."
As she displayed the purse, she jokingly offered to auction it for $50 as another board member said: "We're going to put some bricks in it for her."

"We're so happy to be alive," board member Jerry Register told TODAY Wednesday. "Life means a lot more today than yesterday."
Tommye Lou Richardson, the school district's personnel director, who was at the meeting, called district security chief and former police officer Jones a hero.

In the video, as Duke lay on the floor, colleagues comforted a shaken Jones, who said he had never shot anyone before.
SWAT officers then storm the room and order everyone onto the ground. School officials tell them that Duke is shot and appears dead.

Minutes before Duke rose from his seat, the room had been filled with students receiving awards, Husfelt said. "It could have been a monumental tragedy."

Husfelt said his faith anchored him during the ordeal and that he thought, "I don't want to die today but I'm prepared if I do.
"? was standing in front of me and I will go to my grave believing that," he said.

'V for Vendetta' symbol The V inside a circle that Duke painted is the same symbol used in the graphic novel series and movie "V for Vendetta," though police didn't talk about his motive.

On a Facebook page under Duke's name, which was apparently created Dec. 7, he left a cryptic message under the "About Me" section.

"My testament: Some people (the government sponsored media) will say I was evil, a monster (V) ... no ... I was just born poor in a country where the Wealthy manipulate, use, abuse, and economically enslave 95 percent of the population. Rich Republicans, Rich Democrats ... same-same ... rich ... they take turns fleecing us ... our few dollars ... pyramiding the wealth for themselves."
The Facebook page's profile picture shows the same red V symbol that was spray-painted on the wall during the school board meeting.

The page also shows photos from "V for Vendetta," in which a mysterious figure battles a totalitarian government.

The Facebook profile also uses a quote billionaire Warren Buffett told the New York Times in 2006: "There's class warfare, all right, but it's my class, the rich class that's making war and we're winning."

Duke was charged in October 1999 with aggravated stalking, shooting or throwing a missile into a building or vehicle and obstructing justice, according to state records.

He was convicted and sentenced in January 2000 to five years in prison and was released in January 2004.
Records show Duke was a licensed massage therapist before his arrest but it wasn't clear if he was employed.
Attorney Ben Bollinger, who represented Duke during his trial, told The News Herald of Panama City that Duke was waiting in the woods for his wife with a rifle, wearing a mask and a bulletproof vest.

She confronted him and then tried to leave in a vehicle, and Duke shot the tires. He said that as part of his sentence, Duke was required to complete psychological counseling. Bollinger did not immediately return a phone message from the AP.
"The guy obviously had a death wish," district spokeswoman Karen Tucker said of Duke.

Comments

• blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    real talk I'm genuinely impressed with that lady for doing that

the average dude would've saved himself and kept it moving

however, I would've been upset (although still proud) if she was a relative of mine for voluntarily putting herself in danger like that
  • INFAREDSHAWTY
    INFAREDSHAWTY Members Posts: 397
    edited December 2010
    Options
    genuinely impressed? come on now, the dumb ? hit the ? arm with a purse... not his head, his arm... and not with a blunt object, but with a purse LOL... the ? should've been shot on principle alone
  • blakfyahking
    edited December 2010
    Options
    genuinely impressed? come on now, the dumb ? hit the ? arm with a purse... not his head, his arm... and not with a blunt object, but with a purse LOL... the ? should've been shot on principle alone

LMAO............

I was impressed at the intent, not what she accomplished

it wasn't like she appeared to be prepared to deal with a situation like that, but she still took action...................even if that action was futile

the point is she didn't just lay down like a victim like most mofos would've done in that scenario

she had the opportunity to walk away free and not even look back..........it wasn't like those dudes were blood to her, but yet she still felt she had to attempt to at least try something

if she had knocked the gun out of his hand and somehow got the upperhand of the situation, Obama would've been pinning a medal on her chest LOL
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    gand not with a blunt object, but with a purse LOL... the ? should've been shot on principle alone
    Thats what ? me off.

And I was hoping he shot her ass just for being stupid as hell.

And blak you right. I'd have ? and just hoped he shot somebody else. Cuz chances are they deserved to die anyway.
  • INFAREDSHAWTY
    INFAREDSHAWTY Members Posts: 397
    edited December 2010
    Options
    of course the brotha was the first one out the room lololol he didnt even have to tell that ? to leave lol
  • P-Dogg77
    P-Dogg77 Members Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Yo ? said she didnt have a plan , b .
  • blakfyahking
    edited December 2010
    Options
    white people have no respect for danger at all LOL

she felt her purse was bulletproof I guess:(

still, a lot of cowardly shook ass mofos could learn a lesson about having heart from her tho
  • edeeesq
    edeeesq Members Posts: 511
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Plan B: Take your old ass out the building like you were supposed to!

Trips me out how none of those old white people tried to get out, run, hide...nothing....

If that were a table full of black people, after looking down for his gun, he would've looked up and all he would've seen were spinning chairs and papers flying on some ? toon ? ....

• northside7
    edited December 2010
    Options
    edeeesq wrote: »

Trips me out how none of those old white people tried to get out, run, hide...nothing....

If that were a table full of black people, after looking down for his gun, he would've looked up and all he would've seen were spinning chairs and papers flying on some ? toon ? ....

lol.........
  • CaliGuerillaBlazin
    CaliGuerillaBlazin Members Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    A white lady would do some ? like this. Gunman is wack tho, He lost.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options

co-sign

of course, if she carried a concealed pistol, she could've easily shot his ass

YOU HEAR THAT KTULU? ALL THAT ANTI-GUN "PEACE, MAN" HIPPIE RHETORIC IS REAL SWELL UNTIL ? GETS REAL AND THE OTHER GUY IS STRAPPED

*fist bumps Janklow*
  • IamtheVILLE
    IamtheVILLE Members Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    el oh el at the ? gettin up through. ? dont play didnt have to tell that muthafucka what to do. if that was me i would of threw those dueces quickly
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    this might also be one of those locations where you're prohibited from carrying regardless
    *fist bumps Janklow*
    i will still accept this pro-firearms fist bump, however
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    edeeesq wrote: »
    Plan B: Take your old ass out the building like you were supposed to!

So true lol....I got ? to do.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options

Yeah courage is respectable, but not when it completely replaces intelligence. If you're going to do some brave ? , at least do it in an effective manner.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Luckily for her, he didn't snap and start shooting everybody after she attacked him. If anything, her foolishness put them at greater risk.

Then again, with his aim, maybe there wasn't much of a risk to begin with.
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    co-sign

YOU HEAR THAT KTULU? ALL THAT ANTI-GUN "PEACE, MAN" HIPPIE RHETORIC IS REAL SWELL UNTIL ? GETS REAL AND THE OTHER GUY IS STRAPPED

*fist bumps Janklow*

Right, if she had a gun, she could have shot that maniac and his victims would still be alive today?

Oh wait, he didn't shoot anyone, and he got shot by a security guard. I guess this makes your argument ? , and also makes you ? and makes janklow a habitual ? ? .
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Did you guys see the damn press conference.. ? was a sham these clowns were acting like they were audtioning for a movie..

shootemwon-o.gif
  • northside7
    edited December 2010
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    Luckily for her, he didn't snap and start shooting everybody after she attacked him. If anything, her foolishness put them at greater risk.

Then again, with his aim, maybe there wasn't much of a risk to begin with.

@bold, less than a foot away and cant hit the target lol & smh
  • janklow
    edited December 2010
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    Oh wait, he didn't shoot anyone, and he got shot by a security guard.
    he also didn't shoot anyone because he was apparently the worst shot ever, and there's no way to have known how it would turn out when she hit him with the purse/would have shot him. either circumstance would have ended with him dead (presumably), only if she had shot him, he wouldn't even have been able to shoot at anyone.
    - and also makes you ? and makes janklow a habitual ? ? .
    there's really no reason to be so angry because people don't agree with you on the internet
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    he also didn't shoot anyone because he was apparently the worst shot ever, and there's no way to have known how it would turn out when she hit him with the purse/would have shot him. either circumstance would have ended with him dead (presumably), only if she had shot him, he wouldn't even have been able to shoot at anyone.

He obviously missed on purpose, cause he didn't really want to ? anyone. That's also why he didn't shoot the lady after he threw her to the ground. All this has proven is that unless you're a security guard, you shouldn't bring guns to school board meetings.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    *fist bumps Janklow*

im not anti gun

the people need an army in my Stalinist utopia
  • janklow
    edited December 2010
    Options
    He obviously missed on purpose, cause he didn't really want to ? anyone. That's also why he didn't shoot the lady after he threw her to the ground.
    well, i think that's not the case, since he's clearly randomly firing into the ground and since he obviously did bring a gun and shoot it at these dudes. granted, he apparently did not want to shoot the lady.
    All this has proven is that unless you're a security guard, you shouldn't bring guns to school board meetings.
    well, hey, you shouldn't show up crazy or ? or both at a school board meeting and brandish a gun and expect everything to work out in a reasonable fashion