smh....Obama is gonna repeal DADT and let homos destroy the military, b

Options
Swiffness!
Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in The Social Lounge
WASHINGTON -- The Senate voted 63-33 on Saturday to end Don't Ask, Don't Tell, defeating a 17-year policy of banning ? and lesbian service members from serving openly in the military.

Five Republicans crossed the aisle to vote against the policy: Susan Collins (R-Maine), Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), Scott Brown (R-Mass.), Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) and George Voinovich (R-Ohio).

The Senate vote is a vindication of Obama's decision to push for congressional repeal as opposed to unilateral executive action, though activists note he could have done both. The Senate will make a final vote on ending the policy at 3 p.m.

"The important thing today is that 63 senators were on the right side of history," Joe Solmonese, president of the Human Rights Campaign, told HuffPost, adding he sees the bill as a "stepping stone to further advances for the ? and lesbian community."

? -rights activists owe a small debt to their Latino brethren, as the DREAM Act, which the House and Senate have been considering at the same time, showed the way forward for repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell. Roughly a week before a crucial cloture vote failed, said one top aide, Democratic leadership staff saw that the same legislative tactic could be used to bring a standalone version of the repeal bill to the Senate floor as was currently being used to bring DREAM up. For needlessly complex reasons, a bill that comes to the Senate as a "message from the House" faces fewer obstacles to a floor vote than one that originates in the Senate.

With just a signature from President Obama, a ban on openly ? servicemembers will no longer be the law of the land.

The final vote was 65-31.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/18/dont-ask-dont-tell-repeal_5_n_798636.html

wtf

? people can't shoot guns or die, they're sissys

that's why Israel don't let ? serve

OBAMA'S RUINED THE GREATEST FIGHTING FORCE IN THE GALAXY, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i'm done with obama cuz

Comments

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Dats a win for him
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Damn he got a real significant win, had he got that bill for illegal immigrants who were under 16 when they arrived and lived in a America for 5 years while graduatiing and going to college, he'd of had two
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    There shouldn't be discrimination in the military. Let the ? serve, who cares. Alexander the Great was a well known ? , and had the Asian world crying mommy for years. Just let them serve, Obama gets a win under his belt.
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    skooby2315 wrote: »
    Dats a win for him

It's a win for the country too. If you're willing die for your country, it shouldn't matter what your race, religion, or sexual orientation is.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Biggest win since Health Care.

Now he gets the ? off his ? back.

The GOP is going to block the Dream Act until after 2012 elections. THey're not about to just hand over 70 percent of the Hispanic vote lol

And SWIFF are you being sarcastic?
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »

The GOP is going to block the Dream Act until after 2012 elections. THey're not about to just hand over 70 percent of the Hispanic vote lol

And SWIFF are you being sarcastic?

You just trying to ruin the 15 future replies co-signing him serious aint you?
  • not this again!
    not this again! Members Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options

Either that, or they'll wait and see if they can actually field a viable candidate in the election and incorporate that into their platform. But yeah, if Obama had managed to get the Dream Act passed it would've been a wrap for the Republicans in the 2012 election.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    lol u never know...i just detected sarcasm but....u never know.
  • Swiffness!
    edited December 2010
    Options

DAMN YOU DARCSKIES FOR RUINING MY FUN
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    I have mixed feelings about this. I'm not in the military, but if i was i wouldnt wanna know if a dude was ? , thats not my business, and i dont wanna see him doing ? things or talking about ? things.

A quote from the military's study sums that up:

“We have a ? guy [in the unit]. He’s big, he’s mean, and he kills lots of bad guys. No one cared that he was ? .”

Really, who worries about that ? when the bullets are flying?

The funny thing is, I was just over at DailyKos and these hatin ass super-progressive crackas was tryin say "Oh, well Obama doesn't get credit for this because HE DIDN'T VOTE FOR THIS BILL IN THE SENATE. THE SENATE did it.....not Obama! So there!". ? stupid lol.
  • shadb33
    shadb33 Members Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I dont kno bout this man. ? gonna be on the battlefield on the ground next to each other and when the bullets start flying the ? dudes gonna bust out singing Yolanda Adams.
    Or the ? dudes gonna be in bootcamp singing ? duets together like this
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Wait wait wait, so the Army gonna have a real life version of Mash's Klinger?

klinger.jpg
  • Swiffness!
    edited December 2010
    Options
    "Alcohol use, adultery, fraternization and body art. If we change this rule of 'Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell' what are we going to do with these other issues?"

- Republican Senator

oh noes!

? soldiers will introduce straight soldiers to the dark underworld of TATTOOS!
  • edeeesq
    edeeesq Members Posts: 511
    edited December 2010
    Options
    LOL @ people thinking there aren't already ? people in the military doing all the things they are afraid of....

They sleeping next to you

They shooting next to you

They showering WITH you

If you ain't had a ? in your butt yet, no need to start worrying about it now....
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited December 2010
    Options
    real talk i aint serving so if a ? ? wants to go ahead and put his life on the line more power to that fella
  • CMac
    CMac Members Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Good thing for Obama, he campaigned on that ? so now that he made good on his campaign promises his critics can't say ? about that now.

Overall I'm glad that ? got appealed cuz that rule was beyond pointless, ? been serving in the military for years they just been hiding that ? .
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    so y'all just forgot that Obama ordered his justice department to continue enforcing DADT the whole time, right?

LOL
  • Swiffness!
    edited December 2010
    Options
    so y'all just forgot that Obama ordered his justice department to continue enforcing DADT the whole time, right?

LOL

wow, a Ktulu post with inaccurate facts!

*opens Windows 7 Snipping Tool*

*saves screenshot*

Now then, you presumably speak of him ordering the Justice Department to appeal the court decision that ruled DADT unconstitutional. (DoJ doesn't enforce DADT ya big ? )

First off, that happened about 2 months ago, b.

2nd off, if they didn't appeal, repealing DADT via congressional legislation would be DEAD DEAD DEAD, and it'd be left completely to the Judicial Branch

3rd, if DADT repeal is left to the courts, what happens when that ? lands on Scalia's doorstep?

4th, of all the ways to disable DADT, Executive Order would be the weakest. Now if he had Hugo Chavez's new "temporary" powers....

5th, have you rubbernecked at any right wing sites today? They're weeping and jumping off of bridges. Stop and smell the roses for once, you dour ? .
  • Swiffness!
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Commentator: Rachel, what's your reaction now to six Republicans voting for the repeal of Don't Ask, Dont Tell.

Rachel Maddow: You know, a lot of people said that once it was clear that it was going to pass that it would open the door to some unexpected "yes" votes. And I always am, I always tend to be a little cynical about these things so I'm not sure that I believed it. But it's true. To see Richard Burr, in particular, move on this, to see John Ensign move on this -- John Ensign indicated that he might move on this -- it just shows you that the politics of this are unpredictable and that people who will try to denounce this as "a traditional right-left issue" the way that John McCain I think in particular has tried to demagogue it, it's just, they're just wrong. They're talking about something that might have been true 20 years ago and isn't true now.

I think that politically, though, the thing to not lose touch of, to not lose touch with here, this is the President's victory. The President took a lot of criticism, a lot of abuse, a lot of skepticism from his otherwise most loyal supporters on this. But this is an issue on which the President did not waver. He continually insisted that this was possible. That it would get done.

It, in fact, was not possible for the President to do this through Executive action. This is something that had to happen legislatively if it was really going to happen in a definitive way.

The President did not waver. He DID work on the Senate to get this to happen. He insisted that this was possible against a lot of people, including me, saying it was not possible.

This is a difficult promise kept. It's not just a promise that was kept. It was one that was hard to keep, that cost a lot of political capital and a lot of work and this is the President's victory today and his base will reward him for it.

I do not now and never have believed that Obama is some kind of guru, capable of seeing far into the future, a Jedi president capable of foiling all enemies with cunning and foresight.

The, er, evidence does not exactly back this up. The errors of judgment and foresight are pretty clear - from letting Clinton win New Hampshire to Ben Nelson's months-long fiddling over health insurance to the collapse of cap-and-trade. My point is rather that he has a clear pattern of behavior that is acutely tuned to the longterm. He lets things take their course. Rather than tipping his hand early and decisively, he tends to hang back, aloof, distant, watching. Only when events have occurred that have proven the pointlessness of options he doesn't favor does he forthrightly present his own. And quite often, he almost seems intent on orchestrating such public failures of others' (and his own apparent) options - even at his own short-term cost.

- Andrew Sullivan

Barackavelli

killuminati

blow's like a twelve gauge shotty

uhh, FEEEEL MAY
  • Focal Point
    edited December 2010
    Options
    There shouldn't be discrimination in the military. Let the ? serve, who cares. Alexander the Great was a well known ? , and had the Asian world crying mommy for years. Just let them serve, Obama gets a win under his belt.

Hell don't forget MacArthur... and how he shook the Phillipines
  • Focal Point
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Commentator: Rachel, what's your reaction now to six Republicans voting for the repeal of Don't Ask, Dont Tell.

Rachel Maddow: You know, a lot of people said that once it was clear that it was going to pass that it would open the door to some unexpected "yes" votes. And I always am, I always tend to be a little cynical about these things so I'm not sure that I believed it. But it's true. To see Richard Burr, in particular, move on this, to see John Ensign move on this -- John Ensign indicated that he might move on this -- it just shows you that the politics of this are unpredictable and that people who will try to denounce this as "a traditional right-left issue" the way that John McCain I think in particular has tried to demagogue it, it's just, they're just wrong. They're talking about something that might have been true 20 years ago and isn't true now.

I think that politically, though, the thing to not lose touch of, to not lose touch with here, this is the President's victory. The President took a lot of criticism, a lot of abuse, a lot of skepticism from his otherwise most loyal supporters on this. But this is an issue on which the President did not waver. He continually insisted that this was possible. That it would get done.

It, in fact, was not possible for the President to do this through Executive action. This is something that had to happen legislatively if it was really going to happen in a definitive way.

The President did not waver. He DID work on the Senate to get this to happen. He insisted that this was possible against a lot of people, including me, saying it was not possible.

This is a difficult promise kept. It's not just a promise that was kept. It was one that was hard to keep, that cost a lot of political capital and a lot of work and this is the President's victory today and his base will reward him for it.

I do not now and never have believed that Obama is some kind of guru, capable of seeing far into the future, a Jedi president capable of foiling all enemies with cunning and foresight.

The, er, evidence does not exactly back this up. The errors of judgment and foresight are pretty clear - from letting Clinton win New Hampshire to Ben Nelson's months-long fiddling over health insurance to the collapse of cap-and-trade. My point is rather that he has a clear pattern of behavior that is acutely tuned to the longterm. He lets things take their course. Rather than tipping his hand early and decisively, he tends to hang back, aloof, distant, watching. Only when events have occurred that have proven the pointlessness of options he doesn't favor does he forthrightly present his own. And quite often, he almost seems intent on orchestrating such public failures of others' (and his own apparent) options - even at his own short-term cost

- Andrew Sullivan

Barackavelli

killuminati

blow's like a twelve gauge shotty

uhh, FEEEEL MAY

lol made the ? sound like Emperor Palpatine
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    If this means more ? guys getting killed in war, then thats definitely a win.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    There are ? in the military regardless if they are open about it or not.Also I hate hypocrisy so ? should be allowed to serve openly.After all that's discrimination which is supposed to be 'illegal' in the US.Anyone at War worried about a comrade being ? instead of more important things like the enemy deserves to get their head blown off.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    that sounds rlly ?

It's the truth and I just spoke it unbiasedly.people complain about being discriminated against,but when it's someone ? they are ready to hate on them.All jokes aside,a person should be able to serve in the military openly ? .Give me one good reason why they should not be allowed? Other than being biased towards them there are none.
  • Swiffness!
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I wonder what other countries gona think about this...

"Wow, the U.S finally caught up with us on letting ? serve openly."

Israel let ? soldiers serve openly in 1993

Peep:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_orientation_and_military_service

HEY KTULU WASSUP WIT YO HERO CASTRO?
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    if someone wants to fight and die for a country they should have that right