There's Good, There's Evil, And Then There Is Sin?

Options
alissowack
alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
I believe that when we think of sin, we think of it as it pertains to a moral standard. If we do something wrong, then we sin. It could be some truth to this, but I wonder if there is more to that.

In all commonality, man does have a sense of morality. We know what is right and wrong and we are more likely to identify it when we see it. I believe where we "fall short" is our will and being over right and wrong. We can't determine what morality means in the ultimate sense. We don't have an authority to say what the common good or the common evil will produce.

There are many instances where a good gesture doesn't end up producing a good result. There are times when "evil" produces a good result. This is where we are left to make critical decisions about our morale. Stealing is wrong, but if it somehow is "for our good", then we determine that stealing is good without giving thought to the consequences behind it. Helping others is good but if it somehow doesn't serve "a greater good", it may do more to produce evil. Some people may do good so that other people "envy" their goodness. Who is to say however.

I could be wrong, but I believe to sin in to not have ultimate discernment for good and evil.

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I think evil exists in the context of consciousness. Its the knowledge of good and evil(the conscience). Our will is what gives us the power to act on it.

Evil roughly defined imo is: sacrificing another before yourself: mentally, emotionally, spiritually, physically.

In this regard evil could be things said, thought or done.

Mentally: choosing to maintain self deception at the expense of others. Usually done to cover guilt or error to uphold an image of perfection, while the anothers innocence and/or image is sacrificed.

Spiritually: imposing your own will upon others directly or indirectly in fear that your own will is somehow lost or diminished by allowing another to have full use or rein of their will.

Emotionally: projection of own errors upon another in attempt to maintain an image of superiority, which is upheld at the expense of another.

Physically: I'm still mostly sided that physical attack done to another is more an act of insanity than evil. Unless we're looking at eugenics or other forms of deplorable testing done on others instead of yourself.

I for the most part think sin=evil=sin.
  • alissowack
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I think evil exists in the context of consciousness. Its the knowledge of good and evil(the conscience). Our will is what gives us the power to act on it.

Evil roughly defined imo is: sacrificing another before yourself: mentally, emotionally, spiritually, physically.

In this regard evil could be things said, thought or done.

Mentally: choosing to maintain self deception at the expense of others. Usually done to cover guilt or error to uphold an image of perfection, while the anothers innocence and/or image is sacrificed.

Spiritually: imposing your own will upon others directly or indirectly in fear that your own will is somehow lost or diminished by allowing another to have full use or rein of their will.

Emotionally: projection of own errors upon another in attempt to maintain an image of superiority, which is upheld at the expense of another.

Physically: I'm still mostly sided that physical attack done to another is more an act of insanity than evil. Unless we're looking at eugenics or other forms of deplorable testing done on others instead of yourself.

I for the most part think sin=evil=sin.

Can we honestly say what good or evil produces in the ultimate sense. Can we say that good actions result in good outcomes 100% of the time? Though it is a noble thing to help others, it could be what leads up to something bad in the end. Someone may get hurt or killed. Who knows? What kind of authority do we have to say what is beneficial to humanity as a whole?
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I'd say there's no actual "good" or "evil" to begin with.
  • alissowack
    edited December 2010
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »

But, who has the authority to determine that? I can say that good and evil does exist, but what authority would I have to say what that looks like or the outcomes of the two?
  • oliverlang
    oliverlang Members Posts: 593
    edited December 2010
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »

I agree...what's good and what's evil are man made concepts that don't exist outside the fickle mind of humans. Is it evil that a lion acts according to his nature and kills a zebra? Is it evil, or is nature bad, when it comes along and wipes out an entire village by a raging flood or some other natural disaster?

What was good and evil before humans existed? nothing. Because there was/is no good, bad, right, wrong, or evil.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    I believe that when we think of sin, we think of it as it pertains to a moral standard. If we do something wrong, then we sin. It could be some truth to this, but I wonder if there is more to that.

In all commonality, man does have a sense of morality. We know what is right and wrong and we are more likely to identify it when we see it. I believe where we "fall short" is our will and being over right and wrong. We can't determine what morality means in the ultimate sense. We don't have an authority to say what the common good or the common evil will produce.

There are many instances where a good gesture doesn't end up producing a good result. There are times when "evil" produces a good result. This is where we are left to make critical decisions about our morale. Stealing is wrong, but if it somehow is "for our good", then we determine that stealing is good without giving thought to the consequences behind it. Helping others is good but if it somehow doesn't serve "a greater good", it may do more to produce evil. Some people may do good so that other people "envy" their goodness. Who is to say however.

I could be wrong, but I believe to sin in to not have ultimate discernment for good and evil.

The truth (real truth, not your own truth) is what humanity needs at all times in order to get things right. A comfortable lie will lead to disaster ultimately.

As far as morals go... treat others as you would want others to treat you sounds fair... to an extent. Unless you're a sick ? that enjoys being ? ....
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Can we honestly say what good or evil produces in the ultimate sense. Can we say that good actions result in good outcomes 100% of the time? Though it is a noble thing to help others, it could be what leads up to something bad in the end. Someone may get hurt or killed. Who knows? What kind of authority do we have to say what is beneficial to humanity as a whole?

By human authority, whether it be good/evil/neutral, there is no other way.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Experience. Experience could offer some authority.
  • alissowack
    edited December 2010
    Options
    By human authority, whether it be good/evil/neutral, there is no other way.

How reliable is human authority...especially if we don't trust one another?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited December 2010
    Options
    How reliable is human authority...especially if we don't trust one another?

Oh probably not very reliable, but until another authority makes itself known, our authority is all we know of.