Options
2»

Comments

• John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited December 2010
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    Not exactly. It's probably more because the Old Testament described ? as spiteful, angry, and supportive of genocide.

I suspect the SLAVES ? FREED didn't see it that way.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    How is that done in the name of ? ? Any logical person who reads the bible about slavery and then looks at chattel slavery and we don't see anything that condones that. So if they try to use the bible, they're not only in the wrong but purposely misusing it. This wouldn't be in the name of ? , because it would be misused so it couldn't be in the name of ? . They might claim this but it holds no barring and whoever accepts what they say and doesn't do research in their bible (or a friends/library) then they have nothing to say.

Bolded - yes, very true. This is exactly why I say there's more than half of these "scc's" who are going to "hell" or if you don't like that term because you don't believe in hell, they will be separated from ? "forever".

You are right. A question to ask is...can anyone have the authority to do anything in ? 's Name? I don't believe so and that's where we can get ourselves in trouble...especially when we start determining what is considered what is a blessing and what is a curse; who's going to Hell and who's not. It's not anybody's call for we truly don't know.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited December 2010
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    Whatvever. Let's just agree that the Old Testament indicates that ? supports genocide, so extremist racist organizations can relate to that.
    can't we just agree that if you want to talk about what Christians believe/claim to believe/should believe, then you shouldn't be basing it on just what the Old Testament says?

this also applies to Christians telling others what Christians believe/claim to believe/should believe
    alissowack wrote: »
    It's more like same Bible, different viewpoints. I don't think that accuracy is the issue (though I may have made it sound that way). MLK and the KKK believed in something, and the Bible "confirmed" their belief whether voluntarily or involuntarily.
    okay, but what i am saying is that it's not like you should read the Bible and say "who's to say MLK is reading this more accurately than the KKK is?"
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    okay, but what i am saying is that it's not like you should read the Bible and say "who's to say MLK is reading this more accurately than the KKK is?"

If you saying that I shouldn't assume that MLK had an accurate understanding of the Bible than the KKK, then I will agree with you. It's not my place to say how he interpreted the Bible. I didn't want to make him out to be "the good guy" ultimately. He was just an example of someone who used the Bible to serve the purpose of something good.