One Black Mans Quest To Boycott BET

Options
jefe_asombroso
jefe_asombroso Members Posts: 100
edited January 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Not to disclose my age, but I'm an 80's baby and part of a fading generation that can remember when BET had absolutely NO white people on it (and nothing but church shows on Sunday). Fast forward to 2011 and apparently, the season premiere of 'The Game' is either coming on or came and went earlier this week. To the unsuspecting eye, this is nothing new. Non-music video show on BET. Okay, my problem is that the white actress (Brittany Daniel) the highest paid on the whole show. No offense to Ms. Daniel, but I thought this to be the most ass-backwards thing I've heard of in a long time. Thirty years ago, no white people. 2011, white woman becomes highest paid on a show BET revived. Now, this is the same BET that stopped Little Brother from saving hip-hop in 2005 when their videos got no spin for being 'too intelligent for our audience'. Did you hear me? That's what BET thinks of you black people. What bothers me more than Ms. Daniel's pay stub is when I see my fellow black man and woman eating this up. I never realized it, but this show is very popular, I think I saw Ottis from the Temptations Movie on there yesterday when I caught my wife watching it (she's no longer a viewer by the way). How are we missing this injustice as a group? Why did the other actors not do what the cast of 'Friends' did and gangster fair pay for the entire cast? I know it's a recession and black actor is becoming just as in demand as out of work artist, but why are we not attacking this? I realize also that BET is not for people like myself who enjoyed seeing my people shine on tv in an artistic way and not have to resort to MTV or VH1(white, white, white). Where is Video Soul top 20 countdown on Fridays? Now BET poisons our black youth worse than MTV. Young black men are confused, disrespecting black women like they didn't come from one. How could they not, I mean BET's telling them that if a brown skinned is not big and unattractive like Mo'Nique, there's no place for her. These girls keep getting lighter and lighter in the videos (what the hell is wrong with Jamie Foxxx, we made you bruh) and to boot, the white girl gets the most bread. I've had enough, BET's already been the bullets that helped killed Hip-Hop and now they're assisting in the deterioration of the black community. I figured if the internet can help Sarah Palin incite people to murder in Arizona and give golden egg opportunities to homeless addicts (which, I'm actually rooting for him to succeed, however why does he look like President Obama?) in the Second Great Depression, then I figured that I would share my frustration and hopefully some would agree that BET has to go, at least for our black people. They can continue parenting lost teenagers and keeping white women who love everything ? happy, but to those of us that want to move forward, let's destroy and rebuild.

I tried to keep this as brief as possible, if I'm missing words, or points, we can discuss

Oh, and don't let the picture Victor Jara or my handle fool you, I am a black man. Love being a black man. Victor Jara, however is someone that people should know about. As far as my name, one of my goals in life is to build a better connection between Afro-Americans and Afro-Latins. We are all family. ¡Vencerémos!

Comments

• anthony7q
    anthony7q Members Posts: 782
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Who's Little Brother? a rap group?
  • jefe_asombroso
    edited January 2011
    Options
    anthony7q wrote: »
    Who's Little Brother? a rap group?

Yeah, they're from North Carolina. Phonte, Big Pooh and 9th Wonder (Producer). First two albums were classics. 9th left the group back in 2007. They haven't been right since. They couldn't get a break and they made wonderful hip hop. If you're interested, check outh 'The Listening', 'The Minstrel Show' and Foreign Exchange's 'Connected' (which was the best album made this millenium, Phonte hooked up with a producer from the Netherlands name Nikolay and made magic)
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    N***a's been stop f**king with BET. Where you been?
  • jefe_asombroso
    edited January 2011
    Options
    icks86 wrote: »
    Apparently not enough. Why are they still here then? Why do we only hear about it on a message board or a post to a story? I understand that you and I don't but, let's look at the bigger picture. Why not start a for real movement? For what it's worth, I can't stand the Tea Party, to me, just gives whites reason to be more racist out loud than ever, but look at the movement and how fast it grew, ridiculous. I want that for a good cause. We always talking about what we don't like, but the things we don't like still exist and still pollute. Maybe wishful thinking but I'm tired of racially motivate programing and advertising (McDonalds, State Farm). Look how PETA did Michael Vick, he won later, but at the beginning, that movement would not rest until he felt the pain, and he did. I believe that we as blacks are becoming too quite in times where we need to be the loudest. But you're right, I don't watch BET either, if fact VH1 Soul is blacker than BET (though sister networks), but think of the generation under you. Generations before us had to fight, hard, in order to sit in a diner and we take that for granted.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    icks86 wrote: »

This.........
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    brittany daniel is on the game?

well shes married to a wayans brother so i guess thats how she got that role.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Howcome the most common complaint against BET is "WHITEY ALL UP ON THERE NOW" instead of "This channel carries no programming of value whatsoever."?
  • jefe_asombroso
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Because before whitey got here, the programming was good. Or simply put, once BET fell under the Viacom umbrella, it was downhill. The name of the game was not to appeal to the black audience, it was to use the black audience as a springboard to capture other demographics while exploiting sacred black culture.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Because before whitey got here, the programming was good.

Like hell it was.
  • jefe_asombroso
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Like hell it was.

It did what it set out to do, play music videos with news at night, church on Sunday. Basic programming. You knew what you were getting.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Church ain't good for the black community.
  • jefe_asombroso
    edited January 2011
    Options
    To each is own, although, I'd take church on Sunday before I watch a network that is supposed to be for my people place white people on a higher plateau.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited January 2011
    Options
    When has BET actually said "White people are better than you."?

When has that ever happened?

Lemme ask (ax) you a question (queshun).

What would you try to put on BET and how realistic do you think the chances of it getting good ratings would be?
  • jefe_asombroso
    edited January 2011
    Options
    When has BET actually said "White people are better than you."?

When has that ever happened?

Lemme ask (ax) you a question (queshun).

What would you try to put on BET and how realistic do you think the chances of it getting good ratings would be?

Honestly, I never said that. You know what I said. So don't try to shake up anything. Nor did I say that I had the answers. Again, to me, the channel is obsolete to me, so there's not point in trying to save it. Viacom is already telling the viewers of BET (and the other channels) what they like to watch already, so if they were to change culture, promote a different message and lifestyle, it would get ratings. Not all black people like the message that 106 & Park portray or any of the other shows in there line up, that's why many don't watch it anymore. I'm going to assume you knew this already and are just wanting my point of view, because if you're an intelligent person, then you know that goes without saying.
  • earth two superman
    edited January 2011
    Options

ahh here we go.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Okay, so the only thing we know so far about your agenda is that if you had a cable channel that catered to a black audience, you'd make it a rule that no white performer would ever get paid more than their black castmates.

1. This is illegal.

2. LOL

So what do you want to do, really? Run a 24 marathon of Cornel West and Michael Eric Dyson every day? (except Sunday, when Bishop TD Jakes would rake in his moneI MEAN PREACH THE GOOD NEWS)
  • earth two superman
    edited January 2011
    Options
    lol + smh @ comedy central and cartoon network having better black entertainment than bet
  • earth two superman
    edited January 2011
    Options
    and you do kno that out of the cast of that show, daniels IS the bigger star, right?

and that the show is produced by white republican kelsey grammer right?
  • jefe_asombroso
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Okay, so the only thing we know so far about your agenda is that if you had a cable channel that catered to a black audience, you'd make it a rule that no white performer would ever get paid more than their black castmates.

1. This is illegal.

2. LOL

So what do you want to do, really? Run a 24 marathon of Cornel West and Michael Eric Dyson every day? (except Sunday, when Bishop TD Jakes would rake in his moneI MEAN PREACH THE GOOD NEWS)

It's cute that you keep trying to place words on my screen and you are not quoting me right at all. Go read a little more and come talk to me. What's even more funny is that I mentioned how BET used to show church on Sunday (fact) and now you want a religion conversation. That's young of you. Try someone else. You and what ever Deity you serve need to iron out some things. Now if you want me to, I'll stop responding so that you can continue looking like a joke by yourself, you don't need my help princess...
  • jefe_asombroso
    edited January 2011
    Options
    and you do kno that out of the cast of that show, daniels IS the bigger star, right?

Define star. She has more leverage because she's white. Nothing more, nothing less. That's not me being racist either (which I'm not), showbiz is what it is. This also goes without saying...
  • motrilla
    motrilla Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    lol + smh @ comedy central and cartoon network having better black entertainment than bet

word Boondocks>>>>BET and i'll add BET ? up when they got rid of Tavis Smiley years ago
  • jefe_asombroso
    edited January 2011
    Options

Grammer doesn't cut the check, just writes the show. The network is who her agent negotiates with. Also goes without saying. You two can do better than this right?
  • earth two superman
    edited January 2011
    Options
    well, ive never watched the show, but even ive heard of brittany daniels. i looked up the cast and the only other one i heard of was the sister sister. who has done nothing since.

and a producer doesnt 'write' the show. jesus wtf man. i doubt frasier is writing black comedies.
  • jefe_asombroso
    edited January 2011
    Options
    motrilla wrote: »
    word Boondocks>>>>BET and i'll add BET ? up when they got rid of Tavis Smiley years ago

I'll co-sign that
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited January 2011
    Options
    It's cute that you keep trying to place words on my screen and you are not quoting me right at all. Go read a little more and come talk to me.
    I've read your opening post twice in full.

You offer no solutions besides "we gotta start over yall" and you are upset that a white person got paid more than some black people on a BET show.
    What's even more funny is that I mentioned how BET used to show church on Sunday (fact) and now you want a religion conversation. That's young of you. Try someone else. You and what ever Deity you serve need to iron out some things.
    I'm an atheist and I sincerely believe that religion, faith in things that simply don't exist, and superstition are holding the black community (and the world) back.
    Now if you want me to, I'll stop responding so that you can continue looking like a joke by yourself, you don't need my help princess...
    You've come here prepared to write lots of words, so why don't you explain what exactly you want to do?

You clearly want a replacement for BET that caters better to the black audience. What do you want to see on that channel? And how do you imagine it will fare?