Belief In The Truth

Options
alissowack
alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
My hope in this thread is not to present anything as being the truth and I don't expect for this thread to go far. It is only to say that there is a certain detachment that people seem want to have to the truth. I could be wrong, but when it comes to the truth, I believe that people think they should know it without having a bond with it; to not have personal stake in it. The truth is...and that is it.

The truth represents more than just facts and evidence. It represents belief as well...the belief that truth can liberate or imprision, hurt or heal, bring light or darkness, and bring life or death to our understanding of things. It provokes an acceptance or rejection, admittance or denial of having to face it when presented with the truth. It's one thing to be right or wrong about something, but another to feel loved or betrayed by that something.

Comments

•   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    wow...........................you just blew my mind
  • Tha-Realist
    Tha-Realist Members Posts: 491
    edited January 2011
    Options
    "The truth represents more than just facts and evidence. It represents belief as well..."

What does belief have to do with Truth? If I believe 2 + 2 = 9 that doesn't change tha truth of 2 + 2 = 4.....
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I think if you don't have personal experience invested into something, all you have is hearsay.
  • oliverlang
    oliverlang Members Posts: 593
    edited January 2011
    Options
    truth has nothing to do with belief, as the realist pointed out.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I think you guys missed what came after the belief part, it says:

"It represents belief as well...the belief that...." <

And carried on to describe how belief was attached to truth.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    "The truth represents more than just facts and evidence. It represents belief as well..."

What does belief have to do with Truth? If I believe 2 + 2 = 9 that doesn't change tha truth of 2 + 2 = 4.....

You know that 2 + 2 = 4, right? Sure. Why? Mathematics says it's true. But, what is it about "the truth" that allows mathematics to be true? What do you believe the truth to be that you would accept mathematics to be true? I am in no way saying that belief = truth. Believing that 2+2 = 9 would be false. However, if I believed that, you shouldn't just question my knowledge of mathematics (though it would be a great place to start), I would question what I believe about the truth...period.
  • love yal
    love yal Members Posts: 1,327
    edited January 2011
    Options
    2+2= 9 is something....2+2=4 makes more sense...reading equations are intersting..