Batman: Arkham City

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in IllGaming
What is Batman: Arkham City?
Sequel to the critically acclaimed Batman: Arkham Asylum, mixing hand-to-hand combat, exploration and puzzle-solving. You've heard of Batman, haven't you?

What's New?
According to developer Rocksteady, a whole lot is new.

* Five times the size of Arkham Asylum
* Improved combat
* Interrogations
* Many new gadgets
* Multiplayer

The Story
A year after the events of the first game, Arkham's former warden Quincy Sharp is now mayor of Gotham. With Arkham destroyed, Sharp has turned Gotham's slums into a prison for Arkham's inmates. When Two-Face threatens to execute Catwoman, Batman must break into Arkham City and put a stop to the madness.

Single-Player
The focus remains the main campaign (it's unknown if it will include co-op play). The basics from the first game remain the same, but now players will need to identify enemies with information and avoid knocking them out in combat. The story is said to be darker and has more characters than in the first game, with the Boy Wonder among many believed to make an appearance.

Multiplayer
Nothing is known about multiplayer yet. It could be co-op, it could be competitive play. You might play as the villains of Akrham City or as Batman and Robin. Only Rocksteady knows for sure.

Characters
The list of characters continues to grow, but here are the main players we know about:

* Batman
* Catwoman
* Talia al Ghul
* Two-Face
* Hugo Strange
* The Joker
* Harley Quinn
* Mr. Freeze
* The Riddler
* Mr. Zsasz
* Calendar Man

How's It Looking?
Sadly, we haven't seen Arkham City yet. We'll certainly let you know if it's turning out better than the original once we've seen it.

Similar Games
Batman: Arkham Asylum, Splinter Cell: Conviction

Comments

• kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The first Arkham Asylum was damn near perfect. So if they can improve on something that good then I'm all for it. A map larger then the first game is borderline sandbox like GTA. Because the first game was massive in size which was really surprising since you were only on the Asylum property...either way I'm looking foward to this one.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    hope Tim Drake Robin and ? Grayson Nightwing are there
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    mang Batman & Robin co-op multiplayer would be GOAT, damn
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    A year after the events of the first game?

I thought this game picked up right after.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I just hope the boss fights are better.....wonder what role tahlia al-ghul is gonna play
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I hope they take out that xray ? .
  • joshuaboy
    edited January 2011
    Options
    blazini wrote: »

Why? You DON'T have to use it if you don't want to. It's not mandatory.
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    Why? You DON'T have to use it if you don't want to. It's not mandatory.
    lol true but i knew it was there so from time to time i would.
  • joshuaboy
    edited January 2011
    Options
    lol true but i knew it was there so from time to time i would.

Ohhhhhhhh okay!!!
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options

No, they just need to moderate that ? so you can't use it all game. It did make the game easier and less suspenseful tho.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • earth two superman
    edited January 2011
    Options
    http://www.kewego.fr/video/iLyROoafzzNy.html

very cool video right there. hurry up and watch it. it may be taken down soon.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Batman and Joker in beast mode...together. I think that confirms co-op.
  • joshuaboy
    edited January 2011
    Options
    http://www.kewego.fr/video/iLyROoafzzNy.html

very cool video right there. hurry up and watch it. it may be taken down soon.

lol @ the ending............sweet!
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    ^ The ending was funny, but come on...that whole video was just...wrong. Why not Robin? Catwoman? Nightwing?

I hope thats not a real mode, atleast not with the Joker.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    ^ The ending was funny, but come on...that whole video was just...wrong. Why not Robin? Catwoman? Nightwing?

I hope thats not a real mode, atleast not with the Joker.

its easier to recycle things instead of creating whole new things from scratch Joker was in AA(PS3 version at least) so they can just easily import him into this to make him playable

Its probably a mini game or extra mode anyway
  • earth two superman
    edited January 2011
    Options
    for all we know its just a movie. no confirmation if thats even part of the game.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i hope the boss battles are better in this 1
  • joshuaboy
    edited January 2011
    Options
    focus wrote: »

I hope thats not a real mode, atleast not with the Joker

Agree with you........unless it's a case of Joker losing control of the loonies and both of them have to work together for the time being..........you know what, it still feels wrong. But the co-op moves are nice - if they are playable.
  • earth two superman
    edited January 2011
    Options
    see i liked it, it felt new and original, almost like an idea you would only see if you read the comics.
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    New leaked trailer, Batman and Joker fighting along-side eachother?
  • earth two superman
    edited January 2011
    Options
    dc confirmed the trailer is fake. smh!
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    dc confirmed the trailer is fake. smh!
    lol, yeah i thought it was something wierd about that ? ...good fake, though
  • earth two superman
    edited January 2011
    Options
    stoneface wrote: »
    lol, yeah i thought it was something wierd about that ? ...good fake, though

almost too good. they should hire whoever made it
  • joshuaboy
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Developer Rocksteady has revealed how the world of Batman: Arkham City will be a whopping five times bigger than Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Arkham City won't be an open-ended sandbox, game director Sefton Hill explained, but Rocksteady won't "hold your hand" either.

"The footprint of Arkham City is about five times bigger than Arkham Island, but our primary intention was never to create a bigger game world just for the sake of it," Hill explained to GameSpot.

"In Batman: Arkham Asylum, we really focused our effort on creating an intense, pressure-cooker atmosphere by locking Batman in the madhouse and allowing The Joker to turn up the heat. In Arkham City, we want to take that attitude to the next level, so we created an experience in which gamers will have a huge amount of navigational freedom, but they will also feel the extreme pressure of the challenges that they face.

"Players will be able to go anywhere at any time, but we have made sure that players will always have a very clear idea of where they are needed most if they want to just stick to the core narrative path of the game. Explore the streets of Arkham City and you will find many side missions, secrets and street brawls, so players won't find it difficult to get into some trouble if that's what they are looking for.

A "totally open" world wouldn't allow Hill to conjure the atmosphere he's after, he went on to say.

"Arkham City is its own place; a massive super-prison, jam-packed with super-villains, thugs and psychopaths. There aren't any rules, but it has a law of its own, and this is why it is a perfect setting for Batman. Gamers will have to think and act like the Dark Knight if they want to survive in a place like Arkham City," he said.

The events of Arkham City will take place a 18 months after those of Arkham Asylum, and there will be plenty of nods to the first game's storyline should you be a fan. Warden Quincy Sharp is now mayor of Gotham City and has expanded his Arkham Asylum into Arkham City. Hugo Strange is overseeing the City, which has barely any rules other than not to escape.

Batman villains Two-Face and the Joker will star, as will Catwoman, who'll be teaming up with the Dark Knight. New gadgets include the Bat Claw and a broadcast tracker.

Combat evolution means Bats, as he's affectionately known to me, can counter two people at once as well as counter projectiles. You can use gadgets in battle, too.

ss_preview_batman1.jpg.jpg
    ss_preview_batman2.jpg.jpg
    ss_preview_batman3.jpg.jpg