What's a single girl to do?

Options
Purr
Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in The Powder Room
What's a single girl to do when she has no kids and meet a prospective mate with a child/children; it's like most black men I've come across have 1 child or more; and reading/hearing about these issues with their baby's mother; it's like a red flag is being raised.

I haven't dated anyone exclusively with a child before and I know the baby's mother can be a huge influence on a relationship whether she is chill or not.

so, have ya'll ladies have any experiences with dating a man with kids?

What really inspired this thread is that one of my good friend's broke up with her boyfriend because of his baby's mother intrusion on their relationship; which placed him in the middle of them. The baby's mother told my friend that she is only temporary and that she will always be in her child's father's life forever.

Comments

• Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i guess proceed with caution.. if the baby momma drama is too much, then depart...

one of the keys to a relationship is the willingness to deal with someone elses's ? ...

we all got some ? in our lives....everyone.. and how close you are to a person normally depends on how much ur willing to deal with their ? ....

if a dudes main bullshi consists of a evil ass baby momma...do u want that kinda ? in your life???

if u tihnk u can deal with it, by all means proceed.. but if that ? just too much for you... then give him the duces....

but be careful... cuz he has to be willing to deal with ur ? as well...so never be too quick to dismiss, when you haven't even been fully accepted..
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Decide whether or not the benefits of the relationship are worth the hassle, I guess. It shouldn't be entered into lightly if she's going to be a big part of the child's life. I think it works in many cases but I wouldn't know, lol.
  • junegemini
    junegemini Members Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    not all men come with baby momma drama...i've been with my man for 3 years and haven't had a problem with his BM not once...guess i lucked up with him

its an awkward situation when you meet the BM though....

what's weird, though, is when he has his son, he likes for me to be around and feel like a family, but i rather let him and his son have their father/son time and i do something else...i aint ready to play stepmomma
  • Dupac
    edited January 2011
    Options
    junegemini wrote: »
    not all men come with baby momma drama...i've been with my man for 3 years and haven't had a problem with his BM not once...guess i lucked up with him

its an awkward situation when you meet the BM though....

what's weird, though, is when he has his son, he likes for me to be around and feel like a family, but i rather let him and his son have their father/son time and i do something else...i aint ready to play stepmomma
    u be cooking yo??
  • junegemini
    edited January 2011
    Options
    dusouljah wrote: »
    u be cooking yo??

is that a rhetorical question?

i never cooked for his child, but yes, i cook
  • Dupac
    edited January 2011
    Options

see...he want you to cook for his child...

he thinking

"ay lil ? .. as soon as u taste her food, u gonna be like 'mommy who?'"
  • kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    It all depends on how strong you are and how understanding are you to the fact that you will never really be his top priority. We always talk about the issues men deal with when dating single mothers, but women who date single fathers struggle with the issue of always being second to their kid and the drama that comes with dealing with the mother of that kid. As much as women don't want to admit it, a lot of them feel as if they're in competition with the kid for the man's attention which can cause problems too. So just be aware of the situation, and don't get caught up in the drama and like with everything else you should be fine.
  • junegemini
    edited January 2011
    Options
    see...he want you to cook for his child...

he thinking

"ay lil ? .. as soon as u taste her food, u gonna be like 'mommy who?'"

LMAO...im not trying to replace his momma lol

his kids damn near grown...i dont have to worry about any of that
  • death187sin
    death187sin Members Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Make me ya man and all other issues will be deaded.. lol
  • Dupac
    edited January 2011
    Options
    LMAO...im not trying to replace his momma lol

his kids damn near grown...i dont have to worry about any of that

yea iight.. so y u ain't cook for them yet???

? willl be quick to turn their back on momma if u slang that apron better...
  • junegemini
    edited January 2011
    Options
    yea iight.. so y u ain't cook for them yet???

? willl be quick to turn their back on momma if u slang that apron better...

Du, i dont try to be around when the kids come to visit...now, if they came over when we were living together, that would be different, i wouldn't have a choice...but i seen them the most when i used to live in VA, now i only see them during the holidays
  • Purr
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Make me ya man and all other issues will be deaded.. lol

lol okay where do i sign??
  • Koko888
    Koko888 Members Posts: 298
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Sounds....complicated. But only if the other woman feels threatened by you and decides to make things difficult. If you like him and don't have to deal with her initially, you might as well see how it goes.
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    If its on ya mind that much, then leave them ? alone. I aint got no kids and thats good for my age and my status. Kids is a hassle, it aint no secret. Especially when they aint yours, why deal w/ that??

And I surely aint looking for no woman w/ kids except for one reason. Try and play that love role if she want,... if she got kids thats a no go for a long relationship. Thats just me though....
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    u need my workshop boo.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The baby's mother told my friend that she is only temporary and that she will always be in her child's father's life forever.
    Well. Apparently she wasnt lying :shrug
  • akforty7
    akforty7 Members Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Hey sweetie pie.

Let me tell you quickly & briefly my experiences.

I was in a relationship with a guy for almost 5 years who had 3 kids. His baby mama made our life hell the entire time. She was on drugs tho and we were fighting for custody and eventually got it and then they came to live with us. I loved his kids like my own so I enjoyed every minute of it but it was a lot of work of course... I don't think many women are capable of doing what I did honestly b/c taking in kids that aren't yours requires a lot of sacrifice and patience.

Now in my next relationship the guy had a daughter who lived with her mom, no drama there but the little girl was SO attached to me. She would cry for me ALL the time even to her mother. He would always use it against me like "Tori wants to see you, she hasnt seen you in two weeks and shes crying for you every day" and it made me feel like ? . I hated that. I had no problem taking her with me places like shopping and even cooked for her and got her gifts and got really close to her... but then when we broke up I felt so bad b/c I missed her and I knew she was attached too.

So the biggest things I can say are be prepared to get attached to their kids which also means when/if you split up you will be hurting and so will the kid. Another thing is the guy will NEVER give you his full attention, you will never be #1. His kid comes first and rightfully so if he's a good father and a good person, but you have to share the attention and time so you have got to be a strong person. I know chicks that are super clingy and needy and they can't deal with men who have kids cuz they can't settle for being #2. So its something you gotta consider if you can deal with or not.

Me personally after those experiences I strongly prefer a man without kids now. And anyway when I get married and have kids one day I would prefer that the kids are our first kids so we can experience that together. But it is VERY hard to find men without kids these days. A large majority of single guys out here already have a kid or two. So if I met the man of my dreams and he had kids I wouldn't hold it against him but it would be very disappointing. Idk why so many people are out here having kids with people like its nothing, like its cool to have a baby mama/baby daddy. But thats the world we live in mamita.
  • MICHAEL-V.I.
    MICHAEL-V.I. Members Posts: 1,898 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options

what's a single girl to do when she has no kids and meet a prospective mate with a child/children; it's like most black men i've come across have 1 child or more; and reading/hearing about these issues with their

baby's mother; it's like a red flag is being raised.

I haven't dated anyone exclusively with a child before and i know the baby's mother can be a huge influence on a relationship whether she is chill or not.

So, have ya'll ladies have any experiences with dating a man with kids?

What really inspired this thread is that one of my good friend's broke up with her boyfriend because of his baby's mother intrusion on their relationship; which placed him in the middle of them. The baby's mother told

my friend that she is only temporary and that she will always be in her child's father's life forever.

buy a dog

danger, charlie , danger
  • MICHAEL-V.I.
    edited January 2011
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »

well, i'm in this exact situation. When i met my now husband he had a 5 year old. I had never dated anyone with kids before him, so i was pretty apprehensive about it. The only thing that made me jump in with both

feet was that i had strong feelings for him, and i didn't wanna pass up on what might be just cuz i was nervous about the whole child situation. You also have to know what kind of person you are. I've always been

the nurturing, motherly type and i love children, so it wasn't hard for me to step into that role. When we were dating his son lived with his mom, but since we got married he lives with us now, and it's been great.

I don't have to really worry about his baby mama's intrusions cuz he wants absolutely nothing to do with her, and they only communicate about his son and that's it. As far as her and me, she actually likes me, well

that's the impression i get, but she's the type that's too scared/fake to say something even if she feels otherwise. She knows i treat her son well, i don't try to be his son's mom (he calls me by my first name), i just

play my role as a step-mom, his parents handle all the discipline, i just pitch in where i can, like helpin him wit his homework etc.

Honestly, it really hasn't been too hard for me, it took some getting used to, but now i couldn't imagine not having his son around. We still don't have any kids together, but if we do, i know he'll be a great father. So

if you really like a guy and think it would be worth it to put up with a little hassle, and you don't mind loving/being there for a child that's not your own, i'd say go for it. There should be minimal to no baby mama

drama if the man is nippin that ? in the bud

i'd say i aint read yo dissertation , thesis statement but , you might gut me like a wild bore pimpin

i read it and you're quite bright kai

i see you v
  • MICHAEL-V.I.
    edited January 2011
    Options
    akforty7 wrote: »

hey sweetie pie.

Let me tell you quickly & briefly my experiences.

I was in a relationship with a guy for almost 5 years who had 3 kids. His baby mama made our life hell the entire time. She was on drugs tho and we were fighting for custody and eventually got it and then they came

to live with us. I loved his kids like my own so i enjoyed every minute of it but it was a lot of work of course... I don't think many women are capable of doing what i did honestly b/c taking in kids that aren't yours

requires a lot of sacrifice and patience.

Now in my next relationship the guy had a daughter who lived with her mom, no drama there but the little girl was so attached to me. She would cry for me all the time even to her mother. He would always use it

against me like "tori wants to see you, she hasnt seen you in two weeks and shes crying for you every day" and it made me feel like ? . I hated that. I had no problem taking her with me places like shopping and

even cooked for her and got her gifts and got really close to her... But then when we broke up i felt so bad b/c i missed her and i knew she was attached too.

So the biggest things i can say are be prepared to get attached to their kids which also means when/if you split up you will be hurting and so will the kid. Another thing is the guy will never give you his full attention,

you will never be #1. His kid comes first and rightfully so if he's a good father and a good person, but you have to share the attention and time so you have got to be a strong person. I know chicks that are super

clingy and needy and they can't deal with men who have kids cuz they can't settle for being #2. So its something you gotta consider if you can deal with or not.

Me personally after those experiences i strongly prefer a man without kids now. And anyway when i get married and have kids one day i would prefer that the kids are our first kids so we can experience that

together. But it is very hard to find men without kids these days. A large majority of single guys out here already have a kid or two. So if i met the man of my dreams and he had kids i wouldn't hold it against him

but it would be very disappointing. Idk why so many people are out here having kids with people like its nothing, like its cool to have a baby mama/baby daddy. But thats the world we live in mamita.

yall got talent , smart ugly like me :( , and long winded :cool:

SWEETIE PIE? YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE .. THAT WAS MIGHTY WHITE OF YOU AK

HI. OK. BYE
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I haven't dated anyone exclusively with a child before and I know the baby's mother can be a huge influence on a relationship whether she is chill or not.

So why start now? That ? has a lady in his life, namely his baby's mama. He should make a life with her. You should be a proponent of keeping black families together and encourage him to stay with his baby's mama.
  • Purr
    edited January 2011
    Options
    So why start now? That ? has a lady in his life, namely his baby's mama. He should make a life with her. You should be a proponent of keeping black families together and encourage him to stay with his baby's mama.

i made this thread to provoke thoughts on what it is to be on the other side of topics that we continuously see on here about men speaking about dating single mothers. I always pondered what was a woman's personal experience with dating a man with kids because it's always a negative report of feelings from the men point of view on here about single mothers.

Im not seeking a man with a child nor without a child (I'm quite to busy for that) and this experience happened at my front door with one of my good friends (not brizi @darc lol).

Secondly, why should I be an agent of keeping black families together? How about you start a non-profit and counsel people who have baby mothers/baby daddies and get them together. If not, then don't make statements that you aren't doing yourself. :)
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options

damn you never cooked for the kid in 3 whole years? lmao that kid must suck
  • Blue Virgo
    Blue Virgo Members Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I don't date men with kids...I don't even wanna get into that situation.
    I'm all for men taking care of their responsibilities or whatever...but it's just not for me.
  • junegemini
    edited January 2011
    Options
    damn you never cooked for the kid in 3 whole years? lmao that kid must suck

i try not to be around when the kid comes over...and if i am, its just in passing