edited January 2011
    Options
    Call of Duty is the most popular

As far as pushing games forward that'll be bioware and rockstar
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    LA Noir looks promising... so Mass Effect is the defining game to you this gen like Halo was last gen?
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    LA Noir looks promising... so Mass Effect is the defining game to you this gen like Halo was last gen?

Mass effect is pushing stories forward w/ the whole choice thing. More games are now becoming hybrids of more than 1 genre
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    if youre going by the ability to make choices, ima say heavy rain.

but realistically, it belongs to this guy right here.

Sack+Boy1.jpg

pushing gaming forward is creating your own game to push forward.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The flag-shipped game of this gen is the Call of Duty franchise and it's not even close. Hate it or not, it's the most anticipated FPS year in and year out and we all know that FPS rule this gen (unfortunately)
  • One Spliff
    One Spliff Members Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    black ops is the greatest game ever made
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Its kinda hard to go against Call of Duty
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    It's gotta be COD across 360/PS3. Like a damn sports game - new one each year with an updated roster.

Not sure what is for the Wii. Mario
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Call of Duty. Take your pick.
  • vespesianus
    vespesianus Members Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Super Mario 64 defined the 3D platformers of that era, I'd definitely define it as a flagship game. As for the current gen, I don't really know but you'd have to mention MGS4 and GT5
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Mass Effect. Big budget voice acting & cinematic presentation, superb gameplay, well developed RPG elements, and deep, dope conversation trees. The Video Game industry has always coveted the Film industry's gravitas. Mass Effect looks to me like the future of gaming, ? that, future of home entertainment....MOVIE GAMES. Honestly CoD & BioShock are moving video games in the same direction, but Mass Effect's conversation system (nevermind the OTHER choices you make *coughiclappedwrexcough*) sets it apart. I mean, imagine if someone made a Mafia RPG like that with Max Payne style gameplay and De Niro and Pacino voicing the main characters and you're deciding who gets bumped off and who doesn't and what you're saying to people. ? would be STUPID CRAZY. other people gonna catch on to what BioWare invented here, watch, I bet your new Vault Dweller will do alot of talkin in Fallout 4. Dragon Age 2 is doing it too.
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Yeah Bioware pimpsmacked us all with ME/DAO. I'm fiending for a new dragon age lol. It's incredible how you can be 40+ hours in a story driven game and still be interested in the story.

COD is a online console shooter, I played Quake 2 when I was a kid against millions of others lol on pc, I don't think it pushed (console) gaming that much forward or that it's the flagship gameplay wise of this gen. Didn't really bring the revolution(its still the ? though). Thats morerelated to the consoles online abilities than the actual game.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    PS3 - Uncharted

360 - Gears/Halo
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Half Life 2....anyone whos played through this knows whats up and what its influenced
  • rice n gravy
    rice n gravy Members Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Dreamcast all i think about are all those sonic games they had for it

and man Ps2+Grand Theft Auto 3=good ? times

Xbox/ps3 prolly one of them shooting games eventhougth i dont ? wit them
  • One Spliff
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Mass Effect. Big budget voice acting & cinematic presentation, superb gameplay, well developed RPG elements, and deep, dope conversation trees. The Video Game industry has always coveted the Film industry's gravitas. Mass Effect looks to me like the future of gaming, ? that, future of home entertainment....MOVIE GAMES. Honestly CoD & BioShock are moving video games in the same direction, but Mass Effect's conversation system (nevermind the OTHER choices you make *coughiclappedwrexcough*) sets it apart. I mean, imagine if someone made a Mafia RPG like that with Max Payne style gameplay and De Niro and Pacino voicing the main characters and you're deciding who gets bumped off and who doesn't and what you're saying to people. ? would be STUPID CRAZY. other people gonna catch on to what BioWare invented here, watch, I bet your new Vault Dweller will do alot of talkin in Fallout 4. Dragon Age 2 is doing it too.

never heard of it...

next.
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    One Spliff wrote: »
    black ops is the greatest game ever made

lmao!!!!!!!!!!
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    yo, sayin ANY FPS is a flagship of this gen is kinda like sayin Madden was a flaghip game of the PS2 era. it ain't...

It actually depends on what your definition of flagship is. ME is not even the flagship title on the 360 (Halo is, then Gears), so how can it be the flagship game of this era?
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    when you think about what super mario 64 did to the gaming industry and how it changed it THAT to me stands out more than just how good the gameplay was or voice acting or anything of that sort. With that being said i think hands down you would have to say little big planet for this generation.
  • One Spliff
    edited January 2011
    Options
    when you think about what super mario did to the gaming industry and how it changed it THAT to me stands out more than just how good the gameplay was or voice acting or anything of that sort. With that being said i think hands down you would have to say little big planet for this generation.

lmao...

i needed a good laugh.
  • -Karl-
    -Karl- Members Posts: 2,196 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    yo, sayin ANY FPS is a flagship of this gen is kinda like sayin Madden was a flaghip game of the PS2 era. it ain't...

Dumbest post in the thread.
  • -Karl-
    edited January 2011
    Options
    "Flagship" is not the term you should be using anyway.

Flagship is like Halo to MS and LBP to Sony.

COD4 is probably the most important game of this gen though. It brought so many people into gaming as the COD series continues to do so.
  • -Karl-
    edited January 2011
    Options
    One Spliff wrote: »
    lmao...

i needed a good laugh.

Co-sign. Ask 1000 random people from all demographics who Mario is when that dropped and they would know.

Ask 1000 random people if know who sackboy is (is that his name?) now, you would probably get less than 50%.
  • kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I don't even like COD and I would say it's probably one of the biggest game of this generation of gamers. But if you wanna name a game that was the Flagship game for this genenration of gamers it would have to be Grand theft Auto. That game completely changed what a gamer expected from a game. It raised the bar for mature games, and introduced people to the idea of including adult situations into something people always considered was for kids. Those of us who grew up playing Mario and all the other Nintendo and Super Nintendo games, finally had a game that was somewhat relatable to our age group since the Nintendo generation was getting older but the games we were playing was still just for kids.
  • One Spliff
    edited January 2011
    Options
    -Karl- wrote: »
    Co-sign. Ask 1000 random people from all demographics who Mario is when that dropped and they would know.

Ask 1000 random people if know who sackboy is (is that his name?) now, you would probably get less than 50%.

lol, exactly...

co-sign your other post aswell...COD has brought so many people into gaming, i know tons of people who are casual gamers or who hardly gamed at all, who play COD.

how can games like mass effect and lpb be mentioned in the same sentence as super mario, sreet fight 2, gran turismo, gta, final fanasty, halo etc...

sum funny ass posters in the arcade.