Would you hire a male babysitter?

Options
Saboi 10.5
Saboi 10.5 Members Posts: 542
edited January 2011 in The Powder Room
Ladies/Gents

would you feel comfy hiring a male babysitter?

Comments

• kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Saboi 10.5 wrote: »
    Ladies/Gents

would you feel comfy hiring a male babysitter?

Only men I would ever feel comfortable around my kids alone would be my brother or my father. If a straight grown man is applying for a babysitting gig, regardless of his age, I will be a little suspect on why out of all the jobs in the world this man could get why would he want to work as a babysitter??
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Unfortunately no, I've been too socially conditioned to think men who want to be around kids, want to touch them inappropriately, I realize it's not true, but the nag and suspicion are still there.
  • Jinx Monetary
    Jinx Monetary Members Posts: 22
    edited January 2011
    Options
    No way, no how.
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I wouldn't have any stranger watching my kids, male or female.
  • Rocket Kidd
    Rocket Kidd Members Posts: 2,212 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options

• Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options

I would totally agree with this but I had to go this route when I had my 2nd child. Now I'll say this: I would never have an at-home sitter male or female ever again..
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    Conscious__Nkechi Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options

. .
  • bugsy0911
    bugsy0911 Members Posts: 373
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I would totally agree with this but I had to go this route when I had my 2nd child. Now I'll say this: I would never have an at-home sitter male or female ever again..

I couldn't do it. When it came time for my wife to return to work, we looked at a number of day cares and in home sitters and I just didn't feel comfortable leaving my son in the care of a stranger. I quit my job to be a stay at home dad. My wife has 2 masters from an ivy league school and makes enough where we can live quite comfortably so I haven't regretted making that decision.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited January 2011
    Options
    no stranger is around my kids alone anyway so yeah I'd let a male babysit my child...
  • blackrain
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Unfortunately no, I've been too socially conditioned to think men who want to be around kids, want to touch them inappropriately, I realize it's not true, but the nag and suspicion are still there.

it's ? up too because it allows women to get away with alot of ? because people simply don't "think a woman can do bad things to a child" which is complete ?
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    bugsy0911 wrote: »
    I couldn't do it. When it came time for my wife to return to work, we looked at a number of day cares and in home sitters and I just didn't feel comfortable leaving my son in the care of a stranger. I quit my job to be a stay at home dad. My wife has 2 masters from an ivy league school and makes enough where we can live quite comfortably so I haven't regretted making that decision.

That's a beautiful thing. Looking back, I should have just stayed home until the little one was in school. But at the time I felt like I needed to get back to work. Family members/friends were just too unreliable. I remember asking a friend that lived down the street to babysit for me one night. I got to her house at 6am and she was like oh, I can't do it today. After that, I realized that I'd have to get a sitter. We went thru the ads for someone close to the house. Interviewed people, called a bunch of places and still had issues with the chicks we ended up with. If I have another one, I'm staying home.
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    DEE-LICIOUS Members Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Hell no. Only my lil cousins.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    it's ? up too because it allows women to get away with alot of ? because people simply don't "think a woman can do bad things to a child" which is complete ?

It is complete ? because the females are more likely to physically abuse the child. And for people who only trust family members, stats show abuse occurs far more often with family or good friends of the family, and children are less likely to speak out because of the fact it is family/friend. Tough calls, tough calls....
  • The_Recruiter
    The_Recruiter Members Posts: 289
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Nope I wouldn't. Social conditioning and all that good jazz
  • sammm
    sammm Members Posts: 1,139
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Unless he's related to me hell no..
    Guys aren't very attentive to children and I find it suspect if random males are going around baby sitting especially the ones who watch children that aren't old enough to tell their patent if they've been touched or mistreated
  • blackrain
    edited January 2011
    Options
    It is complete ? because the females are more likely to physically abuse the child. And for people who only trust family members, stats show abuse occurs far more often with family or good friends of the family, and children are less likely to speak out because of the fact it is family/friend. Tough calls, tough calls....

and this is something people seem to not know...women abuse children more often that men do...
  • blackrain
    edited January 2011
    Options
    sammm wrote: »
    Unless he's related to me hell no..
    Guys aren't very attentive to children and I find it suspect if random males are going around baby sitting especially the ones who watch children that aren't old enough to tell their patent if they've been touched or mistreated

false...and what makes random females so much more trustworthy? nobody random should be babysitting your child to begin with
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    DEE-LICIOUS Members Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    false...and what makes random females so much more trustworthy? nobody random should be babysitting your child to begin with

I agree...it shouldn't be anyone random in the 1st place. But, I personally know people who were molested as a child by family friends...always men. So I would never ever let a man babysit my kids or any kids under my care. Except my lil cousins like I said...and that's cause we put them to work
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    reminds me of south park...

cuz the people most likely to hurt children over top of everyone is their own parents...

so these ? just exiled the kids, cuz they didnt' want to abuse them, lol
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options