Call of Duty Lawsuit Heating Up, EA added to West/Zampella suit

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in IllGaming
Call of Duty Lawsuit Heating Up
Court approves Activision's motion, EA added to West/Zampella suit.
January 21, 2011

Activision continues to build evidence as it accused publishing rival Electronic Arts of conspiring with former Infinity Ward executives to sabotage the Call of Duty franchise.

In a new amended cross-complaint obtained by IGN, the publisher alleges EA asked Jason West and Vince Zampella, who at the time were both still under contract with Activision, purposely held back releasing the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Map Pack so Battlefield: Bad Company 2's release would see no competition.

In the complaint, Activision posted a private e-mail from March 2, 2010 between EA's global director Lincoln Hershberger and other EA executives.

"A couple months ago, I asked Vince [Zampella] to hold back their map pack until after we launched (he owes me one)," the e-mail read. "Given that they've already made a billion, he was cool with that, obviously [Bobby] Kotick took it as being belligerent."

Bad Company 2 was released on March 2, 2010 while the Stimulus Package was out weeks later on March 30.

In December, Activision filed a motion to have Electronic Arts added to the Infinity Ward lawsuit between West and Zampella as a cross-defendant. The court granted Activision's wishes.

The publisher believes that prior to joining EA and forming Respawn Entertainment, West and Zampella were out to "derail Activision's Call of Duty franchise, disrupt its Infinity Ward development studio, and inflict serious harm on the company."

"We have taken this difficult, but necessary, step to protect our rights and intellectual property," an Activision spokesperson said in response to the complaint.

"We acted only after we determined during discovery the illegal conduct by Electronic Arts and we look forward to making our case in a court of law."

Electronic Arts spokesperson Jeff Brown replied saying the e-mail was a joke.

"This was obviously sarcasm," Brown said in a statement. "It's clear from the email this was a joke and they never spoke. We explained this to lawyers at Activision – who apparently don't have much of a sense of humor."

A trial date is currently set for May 23, 2011.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/114/1145418p1.html

Comments

• Cleveland7venty6
    Cleveland7venty6 Members Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    and im late to notice that ice cube is one of the voices? i just got the game last week.

imma say this 2 times in two threads because i dont know if......... awww screw it.

just looking to see if yall noticed.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    and im late to notice that ice cube is one of the voices? i just got the game last week.

imma say this 2 times in two threads because i dont know if......... awww screw it.

just looking to see if yall noticed.

Yes....that is ice cube in ? ops
  • Justa Phella
    Justa Phella Members Posts: 315
    edited January 2011
    Options
    does it matter. the games are out & people are playing it
  • focus
    edited January 2011
    Options
    That email doesn't read like an "obvious joke" to me. With everything that has come out, Activision has a really strong case. The COD founders were CLEARLY in cahoots with EA. However, that still doesn't mean Activision can withhold contracted bonuses for a game that was completed and released at the time of firing...unless they somehow prove it was breach of contact.
  • gucci7383
    gucci7383 Members Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    That email doesn't read like an "obvious joke" to me. With everything that has come out, Activision has a really strong case. The COD founders were CLEARLY in cahoots with EA. However, that still doesn't mean Activision can withhold contracted bonuses for a game that was completed and released at the time of firing...unless they somehow prove it was breach of contact.

hey ? where you been..i havent seen you over there in that graveyard they call tgs
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i keep hearing about Activisions side of the story.. i hope IW(respawn ent.) got some counter-arguments or somehtin...
  • focus
    edited January 2011
    Options
    gucci7383 wrote: »
    hey ? where you been..i havent seen you over there in that graveyard they call tgs

LOL! Is everyone there (and by "everyone" I mean those same 5 posters" ) still a moderator? Do they still talk to each other on the phone on 5 way and then post about it? LOL?