Mad Men is the Lupe Fiasco of Television

Options
arbitration
arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
edited February 2010 in Lights, Camera, Action!
I'm sorry, there is no other show that completely goes over people's heads like this entire series. I've seen people say that they can't stand the show because its just a bunch of men sitting around smoking cigars and drinking. I laugh in their faces every time. This show is so good at describing how insanely depressing life is for different people in society, it's almost scary. You almost have to watch episodes twice to pick up on all the themes the writers pack into them.

This is what the Sopranos should have been.

Comments

• white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Yeah Mad Men isn't for everybody, reality tv and other ? has dumbed down tv viewers, like wack rappers downed down rap fans so yeah thats a good anaolgy. The only thing that could make Mad Men better is if it was an HBO show.
  • deeroc22
    deeroc22 Members Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Never heard of it..whens it come on?
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    no, Mad Men actually gets great ratings and awards.
  • arbitration
    edited February 2010
    Options
    no, Mad Men actually gets great ratings and awards.

This is true, but its ratings don't reflect this. Also, a lot of people that do watch the show and enjoy it only watch the show on the plot level. They don't pick up any of subtle clues that the writers put into story. To be fair, I didn't either until a friend of mine actually walked me through an entire episode and pointed out things I had completely missed. It blew my mind.

Watching Mad Men is like watching The Godfather. You can enjoy it simply for the story, but when you actually become aware of all the little clues the directors and writers put into the story, you get so much more out of it.
  • _Ozymandias_
    _Ozymandias_ Members Posts: 490
    edited February 2010
    Options
    funny thing is, the producers went to HBO and they rejected it. one of the executives at HBO later said it was one of the worse decisions the network had every made.
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    damn,
    thanks for puttin me on to this.

i watched Breaking Bad all the time and they would run commercials for this show but they never seemed interesting so i never checked it out

but i really interested in shows that have undertones in the settings and speak on american society,

props to the TS and all the posters who gave insight on it,
    i got it d/l in bittorent right now
  • makaveli4ever
    makaveli4ever Members Posts: 826
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Mad Men is the best show on tv.
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    mad men and dexter are the best programs right now....................................until treme comes on
  • makaveli4ever
    makaveli4ever Members Posts: 826
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Ounceman wrote: »
    mad men and dexter are the best programs right now....................................until treme comes on

Looking forward to that. HBO might be making a big comeback in 010.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    This is true, but its ratings don't reflect this. Also, a lot of people that do watch the show and enjoy it only watch the show on the plot level. They don't pick up any of subtle clues that the writers put into story. To be fair, I didn't either until a friend of mine actually walked me through an entire episode and pointed out things I had completely missed. It blew my mind.

Watching Mad Men is like watching The Godfather. You can enjoy it simply for the story, but when you actually become aware of all the little clues the directors and writers put into the story, you get so much more out of it.

i agree, i wonder if the blu rays have some sort of commentary. they must be really good, cuz the godfather one sure was.

Mad Men is great but like someone said, I prefer Dexter as the top cable show. Im looking forward to Treme too.
  • plocc
    plocc Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Don Draper is a coooooollllldddd MF. His whole life is a lie, but he keeps it real on so many levels.
  • TheGambinoLegacy
    TheGambinoLegacy Members Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Mad Men is dope but Lupe Fiasco ? sucks ? .
  • thespookwhosatbythed
    thespookwhosatbythed Banned Users Posts: 164
    edited February 2010
    Options
    what are the undertones you talkin bout in mad men cause i had to watch it from the first season once i seen the second.
  • sdotcarter111
    sdotcarter111 Members Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I just ordered the first season of Mad Men from netflix, ? better be as trill as ? talkin bout.
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    watched the first two eps.
    good ? . only thing is if you aint hip to american history then you might not get all the subliminals and culture shock references. i had to pause the scene and explain certain things to my girl like every other convo
  • arbitration
    edited February 2010
    Options
    what are the undertones you talkin bout in mad men cause i had to watch it from the first season once i seen the second.

Ok, there're a lot of backstory here. but bear with me. Spoilers are gonna follow for people who didn't see the first season, so beware.

****1st Season Spoilers*****

The first season is about two things: People getting almost everything they want in life, but being massively unhappy with it. I'll start with Don.

Don has everything. He is a powerful partner at one of NY's top ad agencies. He is amazing at his job. He has a hot wife who cooks, cleans, and is totally dependent on him. He has 2 kids. He lives in the suburbs. He basically is living the American Dream. And he built this entire life from scratch; no one handed him anything.

The problem is that he hates all of it. He actively hates the people he works with, such as Roger and Pete. He says he loves his wife, but all the chicks he f*cks on the side are the EXACT opposite of Betty. Rachel (the Jewish Dept. store owner) is powerful and independent - she is the woman of the 21st Century, but no one knows it yet b/c they are in the 50's. Midge (the hippy chick) is a free-living spirit. Betty, on the other hand, is weak and pitiful. She is mostly nothing without her husband (there are a few exceptions - like when she shoots the pidgeon).

In that episode where he is celebrating his daughter's birthday, one of Don's neighbors comes up to him and says, "We have it all, don't we?". Don just looks off in the distance and is like "Yep. This is it". But the look on his face is like, "Damn, this life kinda sucks".

This is why the ad agency is called "Sterling Cooper". The agency is a golden cage; it looks nice from the outside, but then you look inside, and you realize its a whole bunch of people like Don who are trapped by their lives.

****End spoilers*****

I'm sorry if that was long. I could keep on going with the different characters if you want. But I think its necessary to show that Mad Men is great because this is exactly how life is. You get something in life, and you think it will be amazing, but then it just sucks and you hate it. It's almost too realistic.