Jay-Z Turns Down Offer To Perform At 2018 Superbowl Possibly As A Protest Against NFL Racism

Options
JJ_Evans
JJ_Evans Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://thesource.com/2017/09/19/jay-z-turns-offer-perform-2018-super-bowl/
The NFL is looking for an artist that will top Lady Gaga’s 2017 Super Bowl halftime performance(and ratings) and they found everything they need in Jay-Z. Problem is, Hov says no.

The rap mogul turned down the coveted halftime spot for next year’s Super Bowl, which boasts past shows from the likes of Missy Elliot, Janet Jackson and his wife Beyoncé.

Last week, Jay showed his solidarity with ousted NFLer Colin Kaepernick by shouting him out during his stage performance in NYC.

Could this be Jay’s way of supporting the NFL boycott after the booting of Kaepernick and Ezekiel?

giphy.gif

Boss ? !

Comments

• So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My niggaaaaaaa.
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you mean beyonce said no lol or they wanted her in the show
  • JJ_Evans
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    How would him boycotting a league he currently has players to manage work out? Sounds like money.

What money?.... Most of these artists do it for free because of the boost it gives to their careers. Jay doesn't need that boost, nor would a couple hundred thousand mean that much to him. He and his wife are both damn near Billionaires.

He has consistently taken a stand against injustices against blacks. This is no different than what he's being doing since he got close to Obama.

Jay is a real one.
  • JJ_Evans
    Options
    JJ_Evans wrote: »
    How would him boycotting a league he currently has players to manage work out? Sounds like money.

What money?.... Most of these artists do it for free because of the boost it gives to their careers. Jay doesn't need that boost, nor would a couple hundred thousand mean that much to him. He and his wife are both damn near Billionaires.

He has consistently taken a stand against injustices against blacks. This is no different than what he's being doing since he got close to Obama.

Jay is a real one.

They have been rather wealthy for awhile now and still do concerts.

Touring is a part of every musician's effort to stay connected to their fanbase. That's no different than stepping in the studio to make an album.

This is all about Jay standing up to the NFL for all of the black people that are unable to stand up against them. That's a good thing.
  • JJ_Evans
    Options
    LOL......I don't know what Outkast has to do with this, but props to them for taking a stand against their songs being shortened.

I'm just giving Jay Z props for taking a stand against racism.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Thread is about Jay turning down the halftime show...post Outkast turning down the halftime show before. Oops my bad, no correlation!
  • Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds like they didnt offer him enough money
    Im gonna go with this.

Jay is a weekend activist. The money wasn't right so he is gonna use speculation to create buzz.

? pulling the race card to negotiate for a bigger payday.

Prolly gonna get plenty flack for this but bruh I can't stand that ? politics and the way he does business. Nigha moves like a 56 year old white man. Real ? . Underhanded and calculated like a ? snake.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Jay is a real one.

They have been rather wealthy for awhile now and still do concerts. It may not be about money but certainly not the first time somebody turning that show down...

I remember wondering why they weren't performing, them ? were hot and everywhere that year with Speakerboxxx/The Love Below.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options
    Sounds like they didnt offer him enough money
    Im gonna go with this.

Jay is a weekend activist. The money wasn't right so he is gonna use speculation to create buzz.

? pulling the race card to negotiate for a bigger payday.

Prolly gonna get plenty flack for this but bruh I can't stand that ? politics and the way he does business. Nigha moves like a 56 year old white man. Real ? . Underhanded and calculated like a ? snake.

what have you done for the cause and how do we know you are genuine?
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay-Z doesnt need NFL Money
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought it was well known that artists pay the NFL to perform at their SB halftime show
  • dnyce215
    dnyce215 Members Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Jay is a real one.

They have been rather wealthy for awhile now and still do concerts.

Touring is a part of every musician's effort to stay connected to their fanbase. That's no different than stepping in the studio to make an album.

This is all about Jay standing up to the NFL for all of the black people that are unable to stand up against them. That's a good thing.

Co sign on the touring, we need to support our favorite artist more.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay-Z doesnt need NFL Money

Yeah its not like he doesnt own roc nation sports n takes % from nfl players he signs

• Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some of you are idiots

Body bag!
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought the NFL was charging ? to perform
    I thought it was well known that artists pay the NFL to perform at their SB halftime show

That never actually happened. They thought about doing that and the musicians said no. So the NFL never actually went through with that move.

The big name musicians for the halftime show DON"T get paid only the back up dancers, and the bands get paid.

The halftime slot's ability to drive audience for musical acts is so coveted, in fact, that in the leadup to Super Bowl XLVIII, rumors that the NFL was going to charge acts to play began to circulate. The league figured it was negotiating from a position of strength.

Artists saw it differently, and the pay-to-play scheme appears to have been dropped.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2017/02/03/why-lady-gaga-wont-be-paid-for-her-super-bowl-halftime-show/#5c91c0313cc6

• Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Taylor Swift has turned down Superbowl halftime show in the past ,I wonder if she would accept it now?
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Theres only a few rappers i could see coming across well for a superbowl show, that ? aint one of them imo, them ? is spectacles and all bout production and flashin lights high energy and ? like that, outcast woulda def worked, and itll never happen now cause he kinda fell off and most ppl hate him but kanye west woulda worked in his prime, pharrell would work
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    The NFL dropped the ball. They should've had Jay Z perform when the Super Bowl was in the NYC area a few years ago.