The 2017 MLB Thread

Options

Comments

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If stanton hits 60+ hr's that will be impressive cuz only babe ruth and roger maris were non ped's users in mlb history to ever do that.

Miami definitely trading duke this offseason gotta do it while his stock sky high.

If we get swept again we need to go hed and do that

They'd probably have to give up betts,bradley or benetendi I wouldn't do that.Giants or Cardinals probably

Giants need a power bat and have needed one for about 3-4 years.Cards after the cubs have demoralized them might take the risk I think one of jd martinez or stanton will be a cardinal by opening day

Bogaertz or Bradley and Devers and prospects, I'd do it
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If stanton hits 60+ hr's that will be impressive cuz only babe ruth and roger maris were non ped's users in mlb history to ever do that.

Miami definitely trading duke this offseason gotta do it while his stock sky high.

They'd probably have to give up betts,bradley or benetendi I wouldn't do that.Giants or Cardinals probably

Giants need a power bat and have needed one for about 3-4 years.Cards after the cubs have demoralized them might take the risk I think one of jd martinez or stanton will be a cardinal by opening day

Stanton to Giants.
    Martinez stays in AZ if that tweet is true. imo
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options

Bogaertz or Bradley and Devers and prospects, I'd do it

Man hell nah I wouldn't do this,but dombrowski an idiot who might actually do this cuz of his history if he wanted stanton.

I guess stanton could dh after hanleys contract expires next season or after '19(vesting option)

jeter probably wouldn't do it cuz it's boston.I wonder would he be petty like that
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ichiro Suzuki has no desire to stop playing baseball as he nears his 44th birthday, saying he wants to return to the Miami Marlins in 2018 -- and beyond.

How much longer? "At least 50," Ichiro told reporters through his interpreter on Friday.
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ckfree wrote: »
    Felt like that white boy in karate kid who was tellin johnny put em in a body bag watchin the cubs bury the cards

Great feeling wow.Reading cardinals reddit them crackas melting down saying the cards can't compete with the cubs.St louis beat writers saying the cards dominance is over and the cubs are mentally in the cards franchise heads woooooo

That being said cubs have made the playoffs 3 straight years,and even tho I'm skeptical of how far they'll go this year.I'm gonna enjoy the ride cuz october baseball is Goat & there's no pressure like there was last year.Joe better start hendricks in game 1

in the maddon era

out of a possible 18 regular season series vs stl

the cardinals have only won 4 series in 3 years and keep in mind 2 of those were early in year 1 when the cubs were getting their feet wet so basically since july 2015 all but 2 series

Cards fans don't have confidence in matheny.I remember la russa over managing the ? out of every inning/situation

Matheny just watches.They hate him for that, the game the other night wacha cruising but his #'s 3rd time thru the order are awful, I talkin bout ugly numbers(.330 opp ba,era 6+,ob% .400).Any manager wit common sense would have a bullpen pitcher or 2 warming up just in case wacha struggles his 3rd time thru the order.Cubs ambushed wacha for 4 runs and went from down 1-0 to up 4-1 to clinch the division.

When you think about the cubs had a crucial 8 game road trip vs the brewers and cards they went 6-2 and the 2 games they lost one was a walk off hr vs the brewers davis 1st blown save of the year and the 2nd they came back down 8-3 in the 8th cut it to 8-7 and lost with 2 men on with baez striking out.That gives me more confidence than I had in them.Nationals have the type of pitching staff that can shut them down & they shored up their bullpen. + I'm petrified of daniel murphy at wrigley field ? man not tryna deal wit this dude.

this team seems to be really clicking at the perfect time

id be starting to get more and more excited for the postseason too

arrieta supposedly isnt an option until game 3 now as his hammy was acting up the other night -- lester is pitching badly but hes got the postseason experience and pedigree -- hendricks has been really, really good of late -- quintana actually has been really good lately as well -- he probably only gives up 1 run yesterday if the regular starters are playing behind him

hendricks
    lester
    arrieta
    quintana

is my guess for the nlds rotation

i think you take lackey too in case jake has a hamstring issue early in his start
  • ckfree
    Options
    the red sox are making the east wayyyy too interesting

if the yankees win and the red sox lose today

sunday is going to be very interesting

the more challenging part is the yankees winning against the blue jays because the jays have played them tough all year (though more so in toronto) not to mention the yankees are pitching their number 5 and 6 starters -- the problem with the red sox they are playing a better team and i fully expect the astros to win the last two games and make a statement

if the red sox win the east in the next two games it will most likely be back door
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Price came through for Boston that inning.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Postseason match ups set.Indians & Dodgers have home field in each league overall home field tbd

ALDS Astros vs Red Sox
    ALDS Yankees/Twins vs Indians

NLDS Cubs vs Nationals
    NLDS D-backs/Rockies vs Dodgers

AL wc Twins vs Yankees
    NL wc Rockies* vs D- Backs

*Rockies haven't clinched but their magic # is 1.
  • ckfree
    Options
    indians remind me of the 2015 royals who stormed right back to the fall classic the year after a heart breaking loss and won it all (the indians also being a much better team)

i think its their year
  • Tommy bilfiger
    edited October 2017
    Options
    D backs better watch them.If they win that wild card I think they may beat the dodgers

I gotta look at some numbers before I predict the rest.Not confident in the cubs chances vs the nationals

yankees over twins and d backs over rockies
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
  • ckfree
    Options
    4 of the last 5 times the twins have gone to the playoffs have ended at the hands of the yankees

theyre due

i have a feeling the twins gonna pull this out so im going with them (severino was bad against them a week ago)

i got greinke at home 2nd best home record in all of mlb doesnt hurt either

i dont have a good feeling about the red sox against the astros — i was thinking boston would take care of them and play the indians in the alcs but i didnt like the way they finished the season this week — they went 1-6 in the final week of the regular season for the second straight year — so i dont feel good once again after that finish just like last october

cubs have been sluggish and underperforming all year

washington though is the master at playoff failure and i have zero confidence in dusty baker

their number 1 starter is hurt

the number 3 starter collapsed at the finish line

the pen has blown two saves in three games

right in time for the playoffs

cubs get a nice easy nlds
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pulling for the Twins. Knock them Yankees out
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wonder if Hinch will bring mccullers out the bullpen during the playoffs. I wouldnt trust him to go past 5 innings as a starter its clear those injuries took a toll on him. Id roll with peacock or morton before mccullers.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    edited October 2017
    Options
    4 of the last 5 times the twins have gone to the playoffs have ended at the hands of the yankees

theyre due

i have a feeling the twins gonna pull this out so im going with them (severino was bad against them a week ago)

i dont have a good feeling about the red sox against the astros — i was thinking boston would take care of them and play the indians in the alcs but i didnt like the way they finished the season this week — they went 1-6 in the final week of the regular season for the second straight year — so i dont feel good once again after that finish just like last october

washington though is the master at playoff failure and i have zero confidence in dusty baker

You got way more confidence than I do.I don't trust the cubs bullpen or shaky offense,especially wit risp vs good pitching.

edit sherzer strained his hamstring.Arrieta had the same injury and still aint 100% a month later so that gives me a glimmer of hope
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    I'm skeptical the astros can beat sale twice in a 5 game series but sale has never pitched in the postseason so he could be price 2.0

I'll go wit red sox in 5 and they'll probably get swept

D backs over rockies

Yankees over twins

Cubs in 5 over Nationals :# (no conviction)

D backs over dodgers in 4

Indians over yankees in 5

Indians over Red Sox in 6

D backs over Cubs in 6

Indians over D backs in 6
  • ckfree
    Options

theyre due

You got way more confidence than I do.I don't trust the cubs bullpen or shaky offense,especially wit risp vs good pitching.

edit sherzer strained his hamstring.Arrieta had the same injury and still aint 100% a month later so that gives me a glimmer of hope

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20835023/expert-picks-2017-mlb-postseason

29 espn experts made picks

10 picked cubs to beat the nats

5 have cubs going to the ws

0 have them winning the ws

its gonna be interesting to see how they respond to being underdogs again and not the favorites -- adding up all the non external factors this should be the nats by a long shot but ive learned not to trust them in october and one thing that bodes really well for the cubs is that they just played two series with playoff implications while the nationals havent had a game that mattered for basically the entire second half
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    Sano out tonight.He isn't on the wc roster
  • ckfree
    Options

14118xc.gif

hide your cubans and prospects

rick hahn is out here ON THE PROWL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeA0rC9ZeXo

anderson ss
    moncada 2b
    abreu 1b (resigns with team)
    jimenez rf
    maitan 3b
    burger dh
    robert lf or cf
    collins C
    rutherford/basabe lf/cf (whoever is ready)

gotta rename the dan ryan after rick hahn when the white sox win the 2020 world series
  • ckfree
    Options
    im hyped for tonights game

this yankee team is not necessarily in position to win a one game playoff but i think they are built for a series and if they get past minnesota they could make some noise assuming the offense doesnt completely flatline like it did for almost 2 months because they have the pitching to get it done

severino
    tanaka
    gray
    sabathia

is a good enough 4 to get it done but obviously the worry comes in for sabathia and tanaka who are prone to blown up innings

knowing girardi he will blow out the bullpen but considering you have

betances
    robertson
    green
    chapman

who have been pitching very good during the last 6 weeks or so and then you got kanhle who throws damn near 100 mph and probably montgoemory or garcia as a lefty out the pen — they have the best bullpen but like i said im still shaky because far too many times girardi does not press the right buttons and is stubborn in his habits
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea, we're going to lose Maitan. We're going to ? lose him. Got damnit Coppy.

et1mmlh3ork8.gif
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like the Yankees chances against anyone. I don't expect them to win it all but they could make it far the way their built.
  • ckfree
    Options
    AggieLean. wrote: »
    Yea, we're going to lose Maitan. We're going to ? lose him. Got damnit Coppy.

et1mmlh3ork8.gif

im not so sure that atlanta will lose maitan

from what ive read they signed maitan and another guy in the same year

both were living together in florida training before the signing period but they did not have the same handler and thats what got the red sox in trouble years back — they had 5 guys all being ‘represented’ by the same guy and it was easy to trace the money there — im not so sure they will be able to connect the dots with maitan and the other guy (if there are any)

im thinking atlanta will probably lose their first round pick this year maybe more and be pretty much banned from international signings for a few years and some kind of crazy fine