Traffic stop turns up assault rifles, 900 rounds

Options
2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.yahoo.com/news/sheriff-machine-guns-900-rounds-found-during-traffic-143903956.html

Federal agents are trying to determine why a man pulled over for speeding in Tennessee was carrying a cache of weapons including two submachine guns and 900 rounds of ammunition.

Deputies found Scott Edmisten, 43, of Johnson City, carrying a .357-caliber Magnum, a loaded .45-caliber semi-automatic, a .223-caliber fully automatic assault rifle, a .308-caliber fully automatic assault rifle, more than 900 rounds of ammunition, and survival equipment, Washington County Sheriff Ed Graybeal said.

"Anytime you have several firearms and several hundred rounds of ammunition in a vehicle, that always causes a concern," said Michael Knight, spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Authorities still haven't determined why Edmisten was carrying all that firepower, but they "don't see a connection" to recent mass shootings, Knight said.

The arrest came a day after Stephen Paddock killed 59 people and wounded more than 500 in Las Vegas, firing down on a music festival crowd from a high-rise hotel suite. Some of the 23 guns in the suite were equipped with devices that enable a rifle to fire continuously, like an automatic.

"It's not connected to any of the other national incidents, but timing obviously was a concern," Knight said.

Graybeal asked the ATF to help investigate the source of the automatic weapons, which weren't registered and lack serial numbers. He told The Johnson City Press that Edmisten also had modified the AR rifles to make them automatics.

Knight said investigators are tracing where Edmisten's weapons came from.

"Our priority is reducing violent crime on the front end, so that's the other thing we're looking at, along with motive: Were these items going to be used for a criminal act or were they just being transported from one area to another area?"

Graybeal said Edmisten threatened his arresting officer and lunged toward investigators trying to question him. He's jailed without bond on charges of possessing prohibited weapons, speeding, and felony evading arrest. It's unclear if he has a lawyer.

Comments

• Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But what about his second amendment rights?
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    but what about black on black crime and chicago

"All white peoples ain't bad"
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »

? nothing the second amendment says you have the right to run around with army guns

if they wanted to they could ban all weapons outside pistols and it would be constitutional

• HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    keep fearing black kids in hoodies tho
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HafBayked wrote: »
    keep fearing black kids in hoodies tho

But chicago. OBAMA DID NOTHING!!!
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ...on his way to a country concert?
  • Thereal_ba
    Thereal_ba Members Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    AAEAAQAAAAAAAAg9AAAAJDg5NzQ2MTA3LTM1MmMtNDlkMi1iYTI4LTIyMjlmOTNmMWZiNw.jpg
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    Sounds about white

• blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it sounds like he was on his way to the range like any other normal freedom loving American

didn't see anything that said his weapons weren't registered

mofos need to calm down.......900 rounds ain't ?

most of u must live very sheltered in urban areas and rely on the police to keep u "safe"
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? nothing the second amendment says you have the right to run around with army guns

if they wanted to they could ban all weapons outside pistols and it would be constitutional

pistols and shotguns are really all we need as civilians.
  • blakfyahking
    Options

so people should only be allowed to hunt with only pistols and shotguns now?

and what about police?
  • Antlerz
    Antlerz Members Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thereal_ba wrote: »
    AAEAAQAAAAAAAAg9AAAAJDg5NzQ2MTA3LTM1MmMtNDlkMi1iYTI4LTIyMjlmOTNmMWZiNw.jpg
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    Sounds about white

Damn white he is
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options

and what about police?

What's wrong with just a pistol and a shotgun? You can't protect yourself with a couple of those in the crib?
  • banginscrew901
    banginscrew901 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? when I go to the range that's about what I have and hell don't let my partna rid3 with me. Total of 4 rifle 2 shotgun 4-6 handguns and magazines galore we clean as a whistle and legit all the way around
  • banginscrew901
    banginscrew901 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
  • Ol Jay's
    Ol Jay's Members Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    it sounds like he was on his way to the range like any other normal freedom loving American

didn't see anything that said his weapons weren't registered

mofos need to calm down.......900 rounds ain't ?

most of u must live very sheltered in urban areas and rely on the police to keep u "safe"

Graybeal asked the ATF to help investigate the source of the automatic weapons, which weren't registered and lack serial numbers. He told The Johnson City Press that Edmisten also had modified the AR rifles to make them automatics.......

He's jailed without bond on charges of possessing prohibited weapons, speeding, and felony evading arrest. It's unclear if he has a lawyer.

:|
  • blakfyahking
    Options

and what about police?

What's wrong with just a pistol and a shotgun? You can't protect yourself with a couple of those in the crib?

haha @ thinking it's about "protection"

and haha @ ur ballistic knowledge of thinking a 12 gauge shotgun is less damaging that a .223 or .308 round

doesn't make sense to be cool with shotguns but at the same time be against semi-auto rifles :(
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options

and what about police?

and haha @ ur ballistic knowledge of thinking a 12 gauge shotgun is less damaging that a .223 or .308 round

doesn't make sense to be cool with shotguns but at the same time be against semi-auto rifles :(

Chill out breh. Who said I was against that
  • blakfyahking
    Options

and what about police?

if u ain't against it

then why ask the question when the answer should be obvious?

• Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Laws won't stop anyone from getting it. Everyone has easy access to ? and heroin and they've killed far more. If anything there's a booming black market waiting for the bans.
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options

and what about police?

if u ain't against it

I'm cool with guns. I got one. Doesn't mean I feel like I need a huge assortment. Your avg person will be just fine with a few pistols.

Inb4 you try to act like I'm telling ppl not to have rifles
  • blakfyahking
    Options

and what about police?

if u ain't against it

I'm cool with guns. I got one. Doesn't mean I feel like I need a huge assortment. Your avg person will be just fine with a few pistols.

how can u comfortably speak for the "average" person tho?

and why ask if just a pistol/shotgun is enough if u are cool with rifles?

u play these games with me in these gun threads every time shorty.........u a secret fan of gun control and trying to use ur feminine wiles to hoodwink gullible ?

but I ain't gon fall for ur trickery :(
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options

and what about police?

if u ain't against it

how can u comfortably speak for the "average" person tho?

and why ask if just a pistol/shotgun is enough if u are cool with rifles?

u play these games with me in these gun threads every time shorty.........u a secret fan of gun control and trying to use ur feminine wiles to hoodwink gullible ?

but I ain't gon fall for ur trickery :(
    I didn't see the hunting part of your last post so my bad.

But lmao it's really not that serious. You have a lot of different guns because that's what you want. I don't because that's what I want. I don't need any more than what I have....it's like being at a buffet. I got enough on my plate that I think will make a good meal and you brought 4 plates to the table lol I ain't judging just don't understand why somebody feels like they need all that...it's your life tho man lol. You can think I wana stop ppl from doing what they want if you wish....