How Much Money Have You Spent On Hip Hop Music In The Past 10 Years?

Options

Comments

• Brian B.
    Brian B. Members Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    at least a band

the past 2yrs I prolly spent bout $50 or so

but in all honesty, ion wanna hear ? from somebody who don't even wanna support the culture smh

so, in essence, if you don't support, don't complain
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Probably a couple hundred bucks, not including my Apple Music monthly subscription.
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bck145 wrote: »
    No idea.....i buy albums of artists i feel deserve it...joe budden, kendrick, logic.....etc

Just bought a car and new cars dont have cd players so its $10 a month for spotify

Back in the day the local store had a program...spend $200 over time and get a $10 gift cert....i got gift certs almost every 3 months

You atleast have aux port in your whip bruh?

Nope...no aux...its got some new usb thing that connects right in...still getting used to the set up
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? said the local store had a thing where you spend $200 over time and you get $10 back? Lol sheesh
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I’d say close to $1000. I used to buy a lot of hip hop books, vinyl albums, other ? . My album buying has dwindled significantly since around 2012.
  • bck145
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    ? said the local store had a thing where you spend $200 over time and you get $10 back? Lol sheesh

Yeah...just cause your cornball ass goes to best buy for your ? ...some of us still support the local stores
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? cant count. More than i should have so i toned down on the spending.

Going to shows n concerts is worth it tho
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    10 years not a ? cent
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Just went through my collection. 10 years.....73 albums, most at $9.99, a few a little more. So easily about a grand not counting the shows I went to.
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A thousand or more

2007-2010. We still had 2 record stores open in my town at this point. Alot of their tapes were on clearance. I would go in every week and spend at least $15-20 on sale priced vinyl and tapes religiously. This is when i was most active in the thrift circuit also. Before goodwill amd other thrifts rose prices on records and electronics

Around 2010 the record store closed and i was forced to buy overpriced vinyl from a bookstore. I bought whatever new hip hop releases they had at time (lupe,wiz,nicki vinyl). I did that for a year and stopped buying music completely. Now If i see something rare or interesting i might grab it. Im mostly in to buying cassettes now whenever i spot them.

I spent over $500 in last 10 years on replacement needles and parts for my turntables. I picked up a digital mixer in 2013 for $300 also

My live entertainment expenses technically could be factored in too. 2008-2010 i literally went to club 2-3 times a week where artists and dj would perform
  • x the unknown
    x the unknown Members Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A lot but I don't know how much. Last cd i bought was Sean Price's "Imperius Rex."
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A lot this year alone I have spent £130 assuming that they are all priced at £10
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    A thousand or more

2007-2010. We still had 2 record stores open in my town at this point. Alot of their tapes were on clearance. I would go in every week and spend at least $15-20 on sale priced vinyl and tapes religiously. This is when i was most active in the thrift circuit also. Before goodwill amd other thrifts rose prices on records and electronics

Around 2010 the record store closed and i was forced to buy overpriced vinyl from a bookstore. I bought whatever new hip hop releases they had at time (lupe,wiz,nicki vinyl). I did that for a year and stopped buying music completely. Now If i see something rare or interesting i might grab it. Im mostly in to buying cassettes now whenever i spot them.

I spent over $500 in last 10 years on replacement needles and parts for my turntables. I picked up a digital mixer in 2013 for $300 also

My live entertainment expenses technically could be factored in too. 2008-2010 i literally went to club 2-3 times a week where artists and dj would perform

You still on that cassette tape resurgence kick?
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In the last ten years, 0. In the ten years before that about $5,000
  • TonyDubbz
    TonyDubbz Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 19,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bout 15 dollars...
  • LOLCL
    LOLCL Members Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Yeah...just cause your cornball ass goes to best buy for your ? ...some of us still support the local stores

There aren't many local stores that are independently owned CD shops, I know of vinyl ones though in Providence. Where are you at on the east coast?

The last time I tried to buy a cd from an artist I generally enjoyed I had a really bad experience, (it was a woman) I went to shake her hand and she acted weird, then her DJ copied my hand-shake really slowly smiling. It was etherous IC. If it wasn't at my job I would've said something. Didn't even listen once or take it out of the packaging, I literally threw it in the trash. I wasn't trying to say suck my ? to her yet, be nice to the people supporting you.
    A lot of ? isn't even worth $3.

I feel like no one wants to listen to a whole CD anymore anyway.
  • L3NU
    L3NU Members Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DarthRozay wrote: »
    L3NU wrote: »
    Since I download everything, I spent whatever my internet bill is for 10 years

legally or illegally? that bill is gonna be in the millions if the RIAA ever come calling

You sound like a Federal agent
  • bck145
    Options
    LOLCL wrote: »

There aren't many local stores that are independently owned CD shops, I know of vinyl ones though in Providence. Where are you at on the east coast?

The last time I tried to buy a cd from an artist I generally enjoyed I had a really bad experience, (it was a woman) I went to shake her hand and she acted weird, then her DJ copied my hand-shake really slowly smiling. It was etherous IC. If it wasn't at my job I would've said something. Didn't even listen once or take it out of the packaging, I literally threw it in the trash. I wasn't trying to say suck my ? to her yet, be nice to the people supporting you.
    A lot of ? isn't even worth $3.

I feel like no one wants to listen to a whole CD anymore anyway.

Gallery of Sound is the store...used to be 10 locations...last i knew..they are down to 1 spot
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    After reading this thread, I realized this is the time to buy used CDs. You can go to a thrift store or a used record store and cop CDs for $2.

You might ask, 'why pay $2 for a CD when you can download it for free?'

Well CDs have better sound quality than mp3s. You can hear the difference.
  • bck145
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    After reading this thread, I realized this is the time to buy used CDs. You can go to a thrift store or a used record store and cop CDs for $2.

You might ask, 'why pay $2 for a CD when you can download it for free?'

Well CDs have better sound quality than mp3s. You can hear the difference.

Also something about having a collection....growing up my father had an amazing vinyl collection and cds are our generations version

I dont do vinyl so im proud of tje collection i have
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I went through a phase when I was buying albums from Amazon. I've probably spent $100 on Hip Hop CDs in the past 10 years.

But I also collect vinyl. I've probably spent over $500 on Hip Hop vinyl since 2007.

Thats a total of $600 on Hip Hop music over the past 10 years.

When I was younger, before the internet, I would spend about $100 per year on Hip Hop albums.

If we include tickets to shows about 4 bills...
  • banginscrew901
    banginscrew901 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Last actual cd I purchased was 50 get rich or die trying....... but before that i was purchasing cds every week all that no limit cash money screw tapes whole Texas scene at that. One of my first few was ugk and that cd was 17.99 and I purchased that ? twice