THE G.O.A.T. DEBATE: Biggie's 1st Two LP's -VS- Your Favorite Rapper's Best 3 LP's?

Options
rapmastermind
rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in The Reason
We are just a month and a half away from the 13th anniversary of the death of Christopher Wallace aka The Notorious B.I.G. aka Biggie Smalls. What amazes me most about Biggie's career is the fact it has truely stood the test of time. When I heard "Angels" by Diddy, my first thoughts were "Puffy cannot sing to save his life" but next though is "Wow, this 13 year old Biggie verse still sounds fresh and good till this day". That verse was from "My Downfall" from his Classic double LP "Life After Death". The fact of the matter is the reason Biggie is one of the most sampled Emcees in Hip Hop History is his bars sound good in almost any era of HIP HOP. To me Big's replay value is why he still doesn't leave G.O.A.T. discussions till this day. Now I understand you can make cases for a few emcees to be put above Big all time but I'm interested in hearing what people's opinions are of Big's 1st two albums vs some of the greatest artist in Hip Hop History. "Ready To Die" and "Life After Death" are two LP's but 3 albums worth of Material. You want to know why Big is in everyone Top 5 list (Most people's Top 3) it's because when you match these albums with some of the best Rappers EVER catalog, you notice something. Big can go toe to toe with anyone in HIP HOP History:

Biggie Vs Tupac

RTD & LAD = Me against the World, All Eyes on Me, Makaveli

Biggie Vs Jay Z

RTD & LAD > Reasonable Doubt, Blueprint and Vol 2

Biggie Vs NaS

RTD & LAD > ILLmatic, It Was Written, STILLmatic

Biggie Vs Rakim

RTD & LAD = Paid in Full, Follow the Leader, Let The Rhythm Hit Em

Biggie Vs LL Cool J

RTD & LAD > Radio, Biggie and Deffer, Momma Said Knock you Out

Biggie Vs KRS-One

RTD & LAD > Criminal Minded, By All Means Necessary, Ghetto Music: The Blueprint of Hip Hop 1989

Biggie Vs Eminem

RTD & LAD > SSLP, MMLP, Eminem Show

Biggie Vs Ice Cube

RTD & LAD = AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted, Death Certificate, The Predator

Biggie Vs Big Daddy Kane

RTD & LAD > Long Live Kane, It's a Big Daddy Thing, Looks like a Job For

In the End how can Biggie "NOT" compete with the greatest ever? His 2 LP's (One a Double Album) can go toe to toe with the Best Albums from the Best Emcees Ever? Do you disagree? Are Big's album over-rated? Do they deserve this type of praise? Cause in all circles, "Ready To Die" is one of the greatest rap albums ever and "Life After Death" is one of the greatest Double albums in not just rap history but music history. Think about the question and discuss.

Comments

• ShadyTeam
    ShadyTeam Members Posts: 4,894 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The Marshall Mathers LP>>>>>>>>Ready To Die & Life After Death

The Slim Shady LP>>>>>>>>>>>Ready To Die & Life After Death

Ready To Die>>>>>>>>>>The Eminem Show

The Eminem Show>>>>>>>>>Life After Death
  • rapmastermind
    edited January 2010
    Options
    ShadyTeam wrote: »
    The Marshall Mathers LP>>>>>>>>Ready To Die & Life After Death

The Slim Shady LP>>>>>>>>>>>Ready To Die & Life After Death

Ready To Die>>>>>>>>>>The Eminem Show

The Eminem Show>>>>>>>>>Life After Death

So "Ready To Die" is better than the Eminem Show but not better than The Slim Shady LP or Marshal Matthers LP? SMH. "Life After Death" bodies The Eminem Show, it's not even close. Disc 1 of LAD alone bodies The Eminem Show. MMLP is the only Eminem album seeing Big's discography and even that falls short.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Biggies career is Gayle Sayers, just flashes of brilliance in his short time but you will never get me to say he is better than Nas and Jay imo because we've seen that they have stood the test of time, went on to make more classics, and had longevity. To say Big would of done that too is giving him the benefit of the doubt and i don't deal with that, i deal with what did happen. As far as Big, i don't know how he would of turned out because as much as people hates Puff, he was the mastermind behind Biggies sound and gave him direction.

I'll take Illmatic, IWW, and Stillmatic over - RTD,LAD

I'll take RD, Blueprint, and Black Album over - RTD, LAD
  • rapmastermind
    edited January 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Biggies career is Gayle Sayers, just flashes of brilliance in his short time but you will never get me to say he is better than Nas and Jay imo because we've seen that they have stood the test of time, went on to make more classics, and had longevity. To say Big would of done that too is giving him the benefit of the doubt and i don't deal with that, i deal with what did happen. As far as Big, i don't know how he would of turned out because as much as people hates Puff, he was the mastermind behind Biggies sound and gave him direction.

I'll take Illmatic, IWW, and Stillmatic over - RTD,LAD

I'll take RD, Blueprint, and Black Album over - RTD, LAD

Here's the thing though. "RTD and LAD" was like Big winning the championship back to back in his rookie year than his sophomore year. Big died with the belt man. As far as Biggie vs Jay and NaS:

RTD = ILLmatic
    RTD > RD, I.W.W.,Stillmatic, Blueprint, Vol 2
    LAD < ILLmatic
    LAD = RD
    LAD > I.W.W., Blueprint, Vol 2, Stillmatic
  • boom
    boom Members Posts: 2,083 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    BIG's first 2 albums are better than any other ? First 2 albums.. or any rappers best 2 albums period.. but if you include 3 albums.. then Nas has BIG beat..
  • rapmastermind
    edited January 2010
    Options
    boom wrote: »
    BIG's first 2 albums are better than any other ? First 2 albums.. or any rappers best 2 albums period.. but if you include 3 albums.. then Nas has BIG beat..

Because of "ILLmatic" NaS shockingly can compete with Big discography the most. But they both dropped in 1994 head to head and Big had more Impact but I believe "Ready To Die' and "ILLmatic" are equal or "ILLmatic" is slightly better. "Life After Death" is when Big surges ahead of NaS. "It Was Written" + "STILLmatic" is a lethal combonation to go up against "Life After Death" but I'd still give the edge to Big.
  • boom
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Ready To Die is not equal to Illmatic .. and I'm BIG's biggest fan...

Life After Death is the most complete album of all time.. but Illmatic is the true essence of hip hop lyrically..

ready to die is slightly better than It Was Written ..
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Biggie is indeed a legend.....I agree, his first two albums can go against any two albums ever made, for any genre. I have Jay and 2pac over Biggie overall, but I am very confident if Biggie was to live longer, my list would be very different. Life After Death is an insanely good album that still gets play to this day, same with all his other albums (minus the Biggie duets).
  • boom
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Biggie is indeed a legend.....I agree, his first two albums can go against any two albums ever made, for any genre. I have Jay and 2pac over Biggie overall, but I am very confident if Biggie was to live longer, my list would be very different. Life After Death is an insanely good album that still gets play to this day, same with all his other albums (minus the Biggie duets).

lol ..........
  • Question Authority
    Question Authority Members Posts: 494
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I'm just gonna repeat what I posted in Fazeem's thread...

I like Biggie. I consider myself a Biggie fan. What I don't like about Biggie is how he's put on a pedestal, as if he did something so much more profound, artistic, and/or creative than like popular hip-hop artists. This is where I feel he's overrated. He was great at what he did - making catchy rap music that was commercially accessible. That's merely it. His music was successful on the charts, but it was hardly exceptional, IMO.

Just because Biggie made music for top 40 radio and, in essence would commercialize the genre, doesn't make his music any better or more impactful than someone whose music didn't sell as well.

Nas' first two albums >>>> Biggie's first two albums.

Hell, Illmatic is better than Biggie's entire discography.
  • rapmastermind
    edited January 2010
    Options

Tupac of course can be put above Big because he's the biggest Icon in Hip Hop History. But even Pac knew, Big was a beast on the mic. Jay Z is the last disciple of Biggie and he just followed Big's lane so it's hard for me to ever put Jay above Big. Jay Z today = 2010 Biggie if he lived. "Born Again" and Duets" were weak albums but they still sold off the strenth of Biggie's presents on each album. Dispite the horrible cut and paste job Diddy did. "Dead Wrong" stands out and is one of the greatest songs of Biggie's career though it was recorded in 1993 when he was a rookie.
  • ShadyTeam
    ShadyTeam Members Posts: 4,894 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Biggie Small's definitley should be in everyones top 5 G.O.A.T. list's

Eminem>>>>Nas>>>>>Biggie Small's>>>>Kurupt>>>>>Andre 3000 = top 5 greatest of all time dead or alive

and 2pac is in the top 10 along with Rakim

I think Ice Cube, KRS-One, Kane & LL Cool J fit in some where in the top 30 G.O.A.T. list

Jay Z to me is some where outside the top 30 G.O.A.T. list just based on the fact he overall has a poor catalouge no other person has dropped as many poor Album's as him and had the same content majority wise for 14 years he has made 11 solo Album's with only one being a classic and atleast 5 of them being poor and as far as content it has mainly been about selling drug's and materialism his whole career

No one else has relied on other people featuring and doing their Hook's for them like Jay Z has wether it be from the likes of Mary J Blige, Alicia Key's, R Kelly or Beyonce doing his Hook's for him

Jay Z has also relied on big name Producers for every Album he has ever made the Production on every Album Jay Z has ever made has outshined his Lyricism and overall Song Writting
  • boom
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I'm just gonna repeat what I posted in Fazeem's thread...

I like Biggie. I consider myself a Biggie fan. What I don't like about Biggie is how he's put on a pedestal, as if he did something so much more profound, artistic, and/or creative than like popular hip-hop artists. This is where I feel he's overrated. He was great at what he did - making catchy rap music that was commercially accessible. That's merely it. His music was successful on the charts, but it was hardly exceptional, IMO.

Just because Biggie made music for top 40 radio and, in essence would commercialize the genre, doesn't make his music any better or more impactful than someone whose music didn't sell as well.

Nas' first two albums >>>> Biggie's first two albums.

Hell, Illmatic is better than Biggie's entire discography.

No ...........
  • Jaydafresh1
    Jaydafresh1 Members Posts: 5
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I prefer RD and LAD to every other album listed in this thread. People toss the MM album out there, IMO it has not aged well. The replay value just is not there, AEOM as a whole did not age well either, anyone that puts AEOM on the same level is LAD is crazy. Me Against the World doesnt hold a candle to RD, LAD,BP,Vol1,Blackalbum, not even close. I dont throw Nas in there because even though I have owned or aquired every Nas album, I have just never been a flat out Nas fan. Would I bump 3 of his albums, sure I would, over BIGs...not so much.
    Now I am a huuuuuge Biggie fan, so I can admit my opinion is biased, but I have never put Illmatic on my list of favorite albums, didnt when it dropped and I dont now.

I'm a firm believer that BIG could have dropped a great album in any era. This will obviously come down to opinion as everything else does.

Now, if Puff would just release Victory with BIG rapping all the verses. Or "On the Road to Riches.." with a decent beat. Or ? it, the original LAD beats, like that OG version of RD that dropped a couple of years ago....kind of like this..
  • rapmastermind
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Biggie Vs Lil Wayne

RTD & LAD > The Carter, The Carter II, The Carter III

Biggie Vs T.I.

RTD & LAD > Trap Muzik, Urban Legend, King
  • NevaChange
    NevaChange Members Posts: 230
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Biggie Vs Rakim

Biggie Vs Ice Cube

^^ I'm going with these two. I think Paid In Full + Follow The Leader and Ammerikkkaz Most Wanted + Death Certificate are way better than Big's albums.
  • isayas
    isayas Confirm Email Posts: 2,972 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    NevaChange wrote: »
    Biggie Vs Rakim

Biggie Vs Ice Cube

^^ I'm going with these two. I think Paid In Full + Follow The Leader and Ammerikkkaz Most Wanted + Death Certificate are way better than Big's albums.

You're a funny individual, man. Don't you hate Rakim?
  • NevaChange
    NevaChange Members Posts: 230
    edited January 2010
    Options
    isayas wrote: »
    You're a funny individual, man. Don't you hate Rakim?

No.
    Rakim fell the ? off and couldn't change with the times, but Paid In Full and Follow The Leader were revolutionary, and are better than both biggie albums.
  • illogics
    illogics Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The same way ShadyTeam is the ultimate lay down and die type fan for Eminem, Rapmastermind is the equivalent when it comes to Biggie. Just know this before yall proceed with this ? .
  • Question Authority
    Question Authority Members Posts: 494
    edited January 2010
    Options
    illogics wrote: »
    The same way ShadyTeam is the ultimate lay down and die type fan for Eminem, Rapmastermind is the equivalent when it comes to Biggie. Just know this before yall proceed with this ? .

So you sayin it's a waste of time entertainin this ? because he stuck in his ways?
  • isayas
    isayas Confirm Email Posts: 2,972 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    illogics wrote: »

Heh, heh, heh, Word.
  • illogics
    illogics Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    So you sayin it's a waste of time entertainin this ? because he stuck in his ways?

Basically, there's no reasoning to be found with him.
  • L.P. Royal Flush
    L.P. Royal Flush Members Posts: 770
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Illmatic, It Was Written, Stillmatic are better than Biggie's 2 album
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Illmatic, It Was Written, Stillmatic are better than Biggie's 2 album

Illmatic is better then both biggie albums.

But Rtd&LAD>>>>>>>IWW, still...
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    there's no way i'd say big LAD is better than iww and stillmatic. it's just not going down imo