Paternity leave...Let's talk about it.

Options
yellowtapesport
yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
PATERNITY...The man taking off work 'supposedly' to assist in caring for a newborn baby.

Anybody here ever took it?
With the new FMLA law the letting new fathers take off up to 12 weeks (although not all paid) for Paternity leave.

So my question is:
Does this contribute to the constant feminization of our society? Is it just a paid vacation?

You bout to be changin' diapers ? ?

Comments

• Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You get to bond with your child and have a relationship. That ? starts early or otherwise the child will sell you out to the mother each and every time. Who he or she bonds more is the child most likely will take care of.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    They should be allowed to take off

Receive same paid benefits a mother would be offered

FMLA had been around forever. Are you sure this is new ?
  • MsSouthern
    Options
    And that ? ain't make you feel like a ? @AP21 ??
    Sittin home watchin Maury and Judge Joe Brown all morning..

? that

Is this what you think new mothers do at home ????

maybe he was taking care of his daughter like a normal person does after they have a child

I
  • yellowtapesport
    Options
    A stay at home dad is like the exact opposite of paternity leave..

? gotta go to work...for free
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I used it, but not the full 12 weeks.

I took a week off and 3 vacation days, because 1.) that's the longest I could go while getting paid and 2.) after spending a week at the house, I realized I needed to get back to work.

• yellowtapesport
    Options
    MsSouthern wrote: »

The laws have changed recently
    And you sound like Ditka
  • yellowtapesport
    Options
    AggieLean. wrote: »
    2.) after spending a week at the house, I realized I needed to get back to work.

This.
  • MsSouthern
    edited October 2017
    Options

And you sound like Ditka

FMLA has been around since 1993. Last amendment to the act was in 2015 so that same sex couples could both take off for leave when they have a child/adopt

When did this change you are taking about occur ?
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Paternity leave is part of the pc world we live in today. I say take it if it's offered. Getting paid for a staycation? Winner!

But maternity leave is to give the new mother's body a chance to heal and transition back to normal. It doesn't happen overnight. It's not just about weight, it's about the mental and physical adjustments the body has to go through. Don't let me get started on the hormone levels suddenly dropping. A newborn sleeps about 20 hours a day. The first 6 weeks is a big resting period for mom and baby. The hard work starts after the first six weeks. Try having paternity leave then. It wouldn't exist.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Lmao why you looking at it like its some stay at home dad ? and you ain't doing nothing @yellowtapesport ?

The mom just had a whole human come outa her. Maybe dad don't want her to be the only one waking up in the middle of the night to feed the baby, change diapers and put back to sleep.

Not to mention what if this ain't their first kid. Dad can split time getting the other kids ready while mom takes care of newborn or vice versa.
  • yellowtapesport
    Options

And you sound like Ditka

FMLA has been around since 1993. Last amendment to the act was in 2015 so that same sex couples could both take off for leave when they have a child/adopt

Sometimes the answer is in the question..
  • yellowtapesport
    Options
    Lmao why you looking at it like its some stay at home dad ? and you ain't doing nothing @yellowtapesport ?

The mom just had a whole human come outa her. Maybe dad don't want her to be the only one waking up in the middle of the night to feed the baby, change diapers and put back to sleep.

Not to mention what if this ain't their first kid. Dad can split time getting the other kids ready while mom takes care of newborn or vice versa.

Yea that's just me bullshitin..Believe it or not, I'm a great dad...
    But honestly, I kinda feel I don't need (or deserve?) the time off, because like someone else alluded to, my body didn't change...
    The ? I do for my child(ren)...I don't need no comp days
  • MsSouthern
    Options

And you sound like Ditka

That's not even the same thing though ...
  • yellowtapesport
    Options

And you sound like Ditka

That's not even the same thing though ...

Check the 2009 Amendment and do better googles
  • banginscrew901
    banginscrew901 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At my job you can take off via fmla , but you don't get paid. but soon as I found out we were expecting I immediately start putting money to the side to last me s couple months without having to touch savings. And was able to take 2 1/2 months off. Did it for my 1st born and for my 2nd. That ? was awesome the bonding the waking up and the restless nights not so much
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I usually take a week off (paid), as I will this time around....its not "maternity leave" tho

I dont see anything wrong with men getting it if we could, ?

• banginscrew901
    Options
    But some of my extended family asking when yoy going back to work and asking how long you gone be of I'm like why. But I figured out guys normally don't take off that long to help out. Only thing I had to do was change and do late night feedings, and I felt like me and the kid's have a better bond than they do with they mom but I know it'll flip flop the mom was breastfeeding so the kids had it on tap. While I was off i was able to clean up and get rid of clutter. I wouldn't do it any other way. Other than baby girl made me soft
  • banginscrew901
    Options
    Them restless nights I was able to get it in on the PlayStation. Other nights I wanted to hit her with kids Tylenol
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But some of my extended family asking when yoy going back to work and asking how long you gone be of I'm like why. But I figured out guys normally don't take off that long to help out. Only thing I had to do was change and do late night feedings, and I felt like me and the kid's have a better bond than they do with they mom but I know it'll flip flop the mom was breastfeeding so the kids had it on tap. While I was off i was able to clean up and get rid of clutter. I wouldn't do it any other way. Other than baby girl made me soft

I was about to go into that

a lot of guys dont see the need for it because they dont really contribute to that part of the process at home

I do more than I care to mention lol, on top of the ? being done that has nothing to do with kids, but HAS to be done nonetheless

• yellowtapesport
    Options