Why does Drake get a pass to be trendy?

Options
LOLCL
LOLCL Members Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in The Reason
I noticed other rappers get called out when they get caught obviously copying trends to stay relevant, but it doesn't seem to bother mr. drizzle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNW1xRqbt94

Why is this video vintage? There is no reason other than to stay trendy. Makes me neutral.

the song is cool but 21 savage over 90s music videos, wow what a time to be alive

Comments

• gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    Options
    Drake ain't a rapper that's y...
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Real question is who doesn’t get ? called out?
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gee757 wrote: »

so meek got bodied by a non-rapper?
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOLCL wrote: »
    I noticed other rappers get called out when they get caught obviously copying trends to stay relevant, but it doesn't seem to bother mr. drizzle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNW1xRqbt94

Why is this video vintage? There is no reason other than to stay trendy. Makes me neutral.

the song is cool but 21 savage over 90s music videos, wow what a time to be alive

tenor.gif
    tenor.gif
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bc he a pop artist who don't get taken serious anymore by hip hop heads. I liked that "back 2 back" ? . But Drake lost more than meek in that battle even though he won it musically if that makes any sense
  • gee757
    Options
    DarthRozay wrote: »

so meek got bodied by a non-rapper?

? u culture vulture Drake ain't body ? that's y meek is still a top rapper & Drake is a top popstar after being ethered wit Twitter fingers he's not a rapper ? ...
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what trend did he follow here?
  • Ear2DaSt
    edited October 2017
    Options
    drake is still dope he dont have the pressure to carry the load no more he got cardi b,playboi carti,troy ave,mysonne etc
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    90's vintage videos were a trend?
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Other than the select few who isn’t following trends? I lost all interest in giving a ? about Drake years ago.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    I just don't see the trend he was following.

I think people get upset when you bite every hot style

it's ok to follow trends as long as you don't make it obvious your a washed rapper way past his prime

trying to follow trends cuz your out of touch and don't know how to set trends no more

Drake aint washed so he don't look bad doing it

but J-Z do cuz he way older and it just seems like he lazy to create a trend so he just follows trends of rappers

20 years younger then him to try to stay fresh .....
  • LOLCL
    Options
    90's vintage videos were a trend?
    I'd say it started around 2014 with rappers intentionally putting filters on their videos/using 90s technology to make lo-fi videos to match lo-fi music.

Lol after the club I can't sleep so I smoke and listen to music maybe we can add to our playlists.

Who hasn't been called out is a very good question.
  • LOLCL
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Ear2DaSt wrote: »
    I just don't see the trend he was following.

I think people get upset when you bite every hot style

it's ok to follow trends as long as you don't make it obvious your a washed rapper way past his prime

trying to follow trends cuz your out of touch and don't know how to set trends no more

Drake aint washed so he don't look bad doing it

but J-Z do cuz he way older and it just seems like he lazy to create a trend so he just follows trends of rappers

20 years younger then him to try to stay fresh .....

Okay let's do a side by side comparsion. This is Bones doing a ? lo-fi 90s video in 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IYght7FGdg It has a significantly lower budget and was pushed independently, using the same technology as in Drake's video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNW1xRqbt94) the only difference is, Bones did not possess the financial backing that Drake did. So that means it was a choice, it's obvious, but if you really think about it isn't it a little weird one of the key artists of the last 4-5 years is recycling old material from other artists?

It's not all Drake's fault, but it's just an example of how hip hop can come full circle.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    He making himself have an underground edge cuz that's how underground rappers do they videos

underground set trendz ......

that's how hip hop is but underground don't get recognition

when you have that type of a video it looks like u barely coming up and brand new .... genius

but yes people will catch on and call him out for it
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    another thing that i thought of is that mainstream try to take away the advantage of the underground

then they just say it's 90's ?
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah verdict on this thread is

Reach
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall r acting like he never wrote any of his ? .
  • gee757
    Options
    RickyRich wrote: »

Nobody said that he's a part time writer & u can't b a hip hop goat writing ya ? some of the time...
  • LOLCL
    Options
    Yeah verdict on this thread is

Reach

putting this thread in a ? up position
    don't make me call the mods for assistance

• gee757
    Options
    @infamous118 u ? stop abusing ya mod powers ? I was on topik safaree is dissing meek n that freestyle u ? ...........don't go deleting my post then when I go call ya ? ass out for abusing ya mod powers then u go put my post back up claiming I'm off topic callin that donkey nerd ill bot ? on me when I'm on topic n that thread u ? ..
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    What does a random Meek pic have to do with Safaree, you shameless dickrider. Have some pride in yourself, you fat ? . You don't even get paid for that ? . Seek help. #AutismAwareness
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RickyRich wrote: »

Nobody said that he's a part time writer & u can't b a hip hop goat writing ya ? some of the time...

I know for a fact he wrote his ? until he realized his ? was getting staled so he found someone who can help him. Which is not bad at all