20 Greatest Hip Hop Albums of All Time (10-6)

Options
5th Letter
5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
20-16
http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/561598/20-greatest-hip-hop-albums-of-all-time-20-16

15-11
http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/561810/20-greatest-hip-hop-albums-of-all-time-15-11

NotoriousB.I.G.LifeAfterDeath.jpg
10. Life After Death is the second and final studio album by American rapper The Notorious B.I.G., released on March 25, 1997, on Bad Boy Records and Arista Records. A double album, it was released posthumously following his death on March 9, 1997. It features collaborations with guest artists such as 112, Jay-Z, Lil' Kim, Mase, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony, Too $hort, Angela Winbush, D.M.C. of Run-D.M.C., R. Kelly, The LOX and Puff Daddy. Life After Death exhibits The Notorious B.I.G. further delving into the mafioso rap subgenre. The album is a sequel to his first album, Ready to Die, and picks up where the last song, "Suicidal Thoughts", ends.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=wk4ftn4PArg

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VAOUbr2HEpo

Comments

• 5th Letter
    Options
    220px-Raekwon_only.jpg
    9. Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... is the solo debut album of American rapper and Wu-Tang Clan member Raekwon, released on August 1, 1995, by Loud Records and RCA Records.[1] The album was loosely composed to play like a film with Raekwon as the "star," fellow Wu-Tang member Ghostface Killah as the "guest-star," and producer RZA as the "director."[2] It features appearances from every member of the Wu-Tang Clan (except for Ol' ? Bastard) and affiliates Cappadonna, and Blue Raspberry. It also features an acclaimed guest appearance from rapper Nas, which marked the first collaboration with a non-affiliated artist on a Wu-Tang related album.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=V7OO2jjZbwU

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pbSUCjMAyII
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    Alleyezonme.jpg
    8. All Eyez on Me is the fourth studio album by American rapper 2Pac and the last one to be released during his lifetime. It was released on February 13, 1996, by Death Row Records and Interscope Records. The album featured the Billboard Hot 100 #1 singles "How Do U Want It" and "California Love". It featured five singles in all, the most of any of Shakur's albums. Moreover, All Eyez on Me (which was the only Death Row Records release to be distributed through PolyGram by way of Island Records) made history as the first double-full-length hip-hop solo studio album released for mass consumption. It was issued on two compact discs and four LPs.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uWbXQQG9B6c

https://youtube.com/watch?v=n9u1mVwvyTk
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    220px-AqueminiOutKast.jpg
    7. Aquemini is the third studio album by American hip hop duo Outkast. It was released on September 29, 1998, by LaFace Records. The title is a portmanteau of the two performers' Zodiac signs: Aquarius (Big Boi) and Gemini (André 3000), which is indicative of the album's recurring theme of the differing personalities of the two members. The group recorded the majority of the album in Bobby Brown's Bosstown Recording Studios and Doppler Studios, both in Atlanta, Georgia.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1Wl3rM3AlC0

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kjD1X2SD2-I
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    Reasonable_Doubt_New.jpg
    6. Reasonable Doubt is the debut studio album by American rapper Jay-Z. It was released on June 25, 1996, by Roc-A-Fella Records and Priority Records. The album features production provided by DJ Premier, Ski,Knobody and Clark Kent, and also it includes guest appearances from Memphis Bleek, Mary J. Blige and The Notorious B.I.G., among others. The album features Mafioso rap themes and gritty lyrics about the "hustler" lifestyle and material obsessions.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dGJYaaDExW4

https://youtube.com/watch?v=F0-pGXK8Gls
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't necessarily agree with the order, but I expect to see It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back.
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reasonable Doubt Over Cuban Linx And AEOM? Some Revisionist ?
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    nawledge_? wrote: »

Yeah Reasonable Doubt didn't make a peep when it dropped.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cuban Linx, 9?.....whoa..............
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

This argument is always dumb

It dont matter what happened in the moment... Carter3 was all the hype when it dropped dont make it better than RD

RD >>>>> all the albums listed in this thread
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aquemini too high
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »

It dont matter what happened in the moment... Carter3 was all the hype when it dropped dont make it better than RD

@ the bolded. Thats a matter of opinion.

Saying Reasonable Doubt didn't make a peep when it dropped is a matter of fact.

RD was a good album, but The Score came out around the same time. That album was huge and it still has replay value.
  • TheGOAT
    Options

RD was a good album, but The Score came out around the same time. That album was huge and it still has replay value.

Whats your point?

The popularity of an album when it 1st dropped dont make it better than another.

Illmatics came out a couple weeks before Beastie Boys Ill Communication

Beastie Boys album was way bigger... Made more "noise"

Illmatic the better album

For an album to stand the test of time and prove itself better in the long run makes it more impressive
  • 5 Grand
    Options

Whats your point?

The popularity of an album when it 1st dropped dont make it better than another.

For an album to stand the test of time and prove itself better in the long run makes it more impressive

1. Ill Communication was a decent album. In fact, I saw them at Lalapalooza with A Tribe Called Quest, Green Day, George Clinton and a handful of other groups I can't remember.

2. Are you saying impact isn't a factor when comparing albums? I can think of some dope albums that didn't have any impact at all. I'd say an album that made a big impact is inherently better than an album that didn't make an impact...in most cases, Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em notwithstanding.
  • TheGOAT
    Options

Whats your point?

1. Ill Communication was a decent album. In fact, I saw them at Lalapalooza with A Tribe Called Quest, Green Day, George Clinton and a handful of other groups I can't remember.

2. Are you saying impact isn't a factor when comparing albums? I can think of some dope albums that didn't have any impact at all. I'd say an album that made a big impact is inherently better than an album that didn't make an impact...in most cases, Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em notwithstanding.

I dont agree with that at all
  • 5 Grand
    Options

Whats your point?

Thriller
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only top 10 albums listed us aeom which is top 5 and aquemini...the others dont belong top 10
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Get jay z the ? outta here
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Classic is if someone stands the test of time. So why when it comes to reasonable doubt, it's always brought up about how much it sold when it came out? That album has a impact NOW. the ? y'all talking is ass backwards
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Classic is if someone stands the test of time. So why when it comes to reasonable doubt, it's always brought up about how much it sold when it came out? That album has a impact NOW. the ? y'all talking is ass backwards

Its a great album, but I can't say its the 6th best Hip Hop album of all time.

He has albums that I'd rank higher.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options

But that doesn't mean it isn't a classic
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    The Chronic
    illMatic

are most likely gonna be 1 and 2
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AQUEMINI AINT HIGH ENOUGH
  • TheGOAT
    Options

Whats your point?

• GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? always ? me with that "it wasn't that big when it came out so it's not great now" argument like wtf isn't the true test of how great a album is is it's staying power??? If the album gets better as years goes by ain't that better then just coming out the gates fast then that's it