Getting Into a Physical Fight= Rite of Passage In Being A Man/Adult?

Options
BigBallsNoWorries
BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ive gotten into a variety of fights coming up in my childhood/adolescence

Got suspended every yr of high school

Had to sign a contract stating, one more fight then I"ll be expelled from the school

Trained in the art of Boxing since I was 16

Thinking about picking up a couple more disciplines such as Krav Maga, Muay Thai, MMA (in general) and Wing Chun

Especially Krav Maga

Combative Sports are entertaining, informative and helpful

Question is, is it worth it to get into at least one physical altercation in your life

At least growing up?

I believe so, for the fact getting into a fight teaches you the harsh reality of life

Some people may not like you

Some people may dislike what you say

And some ppl may want to physically harm you and your loved ones and you NEED to know how to protect yourself

Cause without fighting skills/martial arts

You can't protect no one

Let alone yourself

Comments

• spit_fiya
    spit_fiya Members Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • DoubleShotHelix
    DoubleShotHelix Members Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think it's a good look for all people to get into at least one physical altercation in life where they get touched up.

It teaches humility and that you can be tightened up if you get too out of pocket.

I think part of what's wrong with society today is a bunch of disrespectful dumb ? our here running around doing and saying whatever because they know that they aren't/can't be touched.

If you know in the back of your mind that "I might get ? up if I do/say this" it'll deter a lot of mfers from doing or saying ? to other people.
  • DoubleShotHelix
    DoubleShotHelix Members Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also Krav Maga is ?
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also Krav Maga is ?

Speak on it

I know some ? that know it and it seems legit
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No

Only ? who have a perverted sense of masculinity think that
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think you need to at least once see what and who you really are.

most ? fight only when a crowd is around or to impress someone or when they know they can win.
    not too often will someone truly fight with nothing to prove but to defend themselves.
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is it sanctioned and am I getting a lot of money? Am I protecting the life of a loved one? If the answer is no, then fist fighting is ? stupid.

I know a lot of dudes have this fantasy mindset about wanting too see some action and wanting to know if they have what it takes and if "can they do it"...just go join a gym.
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont trust you if you've never been in a fight
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    R0mp wrote: »
    Is it sanctioned and am I getting a lot of money? Am I protecting the life of a loved one? If the answer is no, then fist fighting is ? stupid.

I know a lot of dudes have this fantasy mindset about wanting too see some action and wanting to know if they have what it takes and if "can they do it"...just go join a gym.

the gym is an controlled enviroment.

but you have a great point.

but i am speaking more about......if you walking home, late ? during ? hours and its just you an some ? on the street and he crosses the street coming right at you an he a big ? walking fast...how many ? would stand tall?
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    A lot of times getting into fights (street or in the gym eg boxing/mma) lets us learn where we stand amongst other guys. It trains you to have heart and tucking tail and running away is a non option. In short, I can’t say fighting in the street is something I’d advocate but valuable lessons can be learned.

My little brother used to be somewhat shy and a little timid, but he got into MMA and Muay Thai and it brought him out of his shell. He learned he can beat other guys and also got beat by other guys. He’s become more comfortable in his own skin knowing he can hold his own as a guy.......it helped him all around in being more confident and assertive. It (in combination with his upbringing) is making him a man in my opinion.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R0mp wrote: »

the gym is an controlled enviroment.

but you have a great point.

but i am speaking more about......if you walking home, late ? during ? hours and its just you an some ? on the street and he crosses the street coming right at you an he a big ? walking fast...how many ? would stand tall?

True it is.

But in a tough gym, you will get experience going at 'live' speed with ? that are better than you at everything: stand-up, clinch, ground. You will get your ass kicked but you will get more comfortable defending against actual skilled fighters trying to take your head off, rip off one of your limbs and strangle the life out of you. And eventually you'll be the one taking limbs and necks.

Of course that's not gonna replicate the stress that may come with a real-life situation with some ? possibly looking to ? you, like you described.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Win a Fight and get ? for 1st time
  • SuperSoaker
    SuperSoaker Members Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think it's a rite of passage but I'd imagine it's very common being adolescents doing stupid teen ? . I used to joke and brag I was undefeated in highschool fights, I was 1-0. But it really wasn't a fight per se Lol

When I started highschool in 06, it was the time of "neck," (you say some stupid ? someone else will swipe the back of your neck). My freshman bball team would do it for everything lol so one day our coach took us out to eat and to watch the highschool football playoffs cuz we started the season off right. We were outside of the arena just ? around when the backup point said some dumb ? , I swiped his neck. Dude took it personal and winded up his swipe and slapped the back of my neck. (I think dude had resentment cuz I was a starter). I was like hell naw so I push him, at this point the rest of the team is watching us. He starts barking "I'm from b-more, I'm from b-more," then he punches me in the chest and I hit him with a two-piece combo to the face and then it kind of turns to a wrestling match and our teammates break it up. Homie starts crying once we're seperated everyone was giving him that sideways glance lol he ends up with a black eye but he never ? with me after that lol

The funniest part was the aftermath. There's always that one JV kId who instigates everything lol once word got out, JV kid was unrelentless in his taunting of homeboy:

Dude who got two pieced : would be talking ? , just general roasting ?

JV POINT: "man shut the ? up, AYOOO supersoaker (calling me from across the gym)

*id walk over*

JV point: man can you please beat this ? ass.

Dude wouldn't even look me in the eye just put his head straight down. Lol
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    now that i think about it.....

losing a fight and learning how to handle it...is a rite.
    as well as who you fought.

• HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its been a long time

sometimes I do feel like I need a good scrap just to stay up lol

I aint worried about all that other ? tho

A lot of times getting into fights (street or in the gym eg boxing/mma) lets us learn where we stand amongst other guys. It trains you to have heart and tucking tail and running away is a non option. In short, I can’t say fighting in the street is something I’d advocate but valuable lessons can be learned.

My little brother used to be somewhat shy and a little timid, but he got into MMA and Muay Thai and it brought him out of his shell. He learned he can beat other guys and also got beat by other guys. He’s become more comfortable in his own skin knowing he can hold his own as a guy.......it helped him all around in being more confident and assertive. It (in combination with his upbringing) is making him a man in my opinion.

absolutely....I've thought about getting into something like that, just never made time

• gorilla
    gorilla Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In my opinion it is. As a man, there's a big chance you may have to physically defend yourself and/or your loved ones one day. Especially if you from inner city usa. You gotta know your abilities and limits as that will give you the confidence you need to handle yourself.

• D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think its a rite of passage at all.

I do think that all boys or men need to get into at least one good ass fight in their life time.

Its just good for you IMO.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Your right of passage as a man or a woman is mental/psychological/ emotional

but being willing to defend yourself man or woman is a necessary
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's a social contract between men that is taught as a boy.

You can only get that by fighting.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think it’s apart of the human experience to be in a violent physical altercation...

We naturally get violent as a part of survival, a long extensive period of time with no physical violence may hurt humans in the long run ...? you see what happens when you stop exercising for a while
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ive gotten into a variety of fights coming up in my childhood/adolescence

Got suspended every yr of high school

Had to sign a contract stating, one more fight then I"ll be expelled from the school

Trained in the art of Boxing since I was 16

Thinking about picking up a couple more disciplines such as Krav Maga, Muay Thai, MMA (in general) and Wing Chun

Especially Krav Maga

Combative Sports are entertaining, informative and helpful

Question is, is it worth it to get into at least one physical altercation in your life

At least growing up?

I believe so, for the fact getting into a fight teaches you the harsh reality of life

Some people may not like you

Some people may dislike what you say

And some ppl may want to physically harm you and your loved ones and you NEED to know how to protect yourself

Cause without fighting skills/martial arts

You can't protect no one

Let alone yourself

"yeah but can you kick my ass?"

5kwb84w71kv7.jpg
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also Krav Maga is ?

I don’t think it’s ? I just don’t think it’s very functional if you’re not trying to literally ? someone. Like I don’t need to be incorporating nipple bites into grappling.

Best defensive training you can do is BJJ.