For Those Considering Blaxit, I Present to You: Berlin

Options
2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.theroot.com/for-those-considering-blaxit-i-present-to-you-berlin-1795236100

Last year I went on a tour of Western Europe in search of a city that I could potentially call home. I went to London, Amsterdam ... and I would have kept going, through the overpriced splendor of Scandinavia, or the lush, economically disenfranchised ruins of Athens, but Berlin stopped me in my tracks.

It’s a city best described as charming ... and lawless. Somewhere between watching a green-haired comedian hammer nails up his nose at an underground comedy club at a punk squat, and attending a fetish club, where people in latex underwear debated politics before making out in an indoor swimming pool—I decided that this was the place for me.

I’ve been here since August.

Germany, and Berlin in particular, has a reputation of being progressive. With free tertiary education available to anyone, a strict recycling program and unimpeachable tenancy rights, it certainly presents as a pretty picture upon first glance. But much like the history behind this troubled, vibrant city, there’s a wall you have to break through first.

The first thing local (or foreign) Berliners will warn you about is the bureaucracy. The authenticity of German stereotypes varies from person to person, but one thing that requires no exaggeration is this country’s obsession with paperwork.

It’s wonderful to live in a city with rent control. Less so when it means filing a binder of documents, and a five-minute registration process that requires a three-month advance booking, a series of signatures and the occasional sexual favor. Not speaking from experience, of course, but that’s not to say that I haven’t felt royally screwed whenever I’ve left the Finanzamt (tax office) or Bürgeramt (registration office).

There are just some things you accept as part of life in Berlin: being yelled at for crossing the street at a red light, offering to pay for dinner to avoid the awkwardness of watching a German man divide the bill, and having to systematically flash my paperwork to do, well, anything. In return, I get to live in a city where nature is fiercely preserved and radical ? feminists host summer barbecues where white people with dreadlocks are charged twice the admission as people of color.

And even though it has a population of 3.7 million, 13.5 percent of whom identify as foreign-born, black people experience Berlin very differently from white people—a reality that became abundantly clear to Jessica Lauren Elizabeth Taylor, an artist from Florida. Initially interested in just a summer visit, Taylor describes her first impression of Berlin as “pure, unadulterated magic.”

It was Berlin’s radical theater scene that appealed to her artistically and, ultimately, compelled her to stay instead of moving on to Paris as initially planned. That was eight years ago.

“I was really impressed ... I was in awe,” she says.

She describes Berlin as ripe for experimental performance art ... but also sorely lacking in discussions on race and intersectionality.

Some years ago, she attended a prominent ex-pat magazine’s panel discussion about the African experience in Berlin, an event where distinguished Afro-Deutsche panelists were silenced from participating in discussions with which they had direct experience. She says the conversations revolved around that month’s publication, which featured a cover story about how one journalist spent his day with a black drug dealer.

“It was unreal,” she says.

That’s why she started Black in Berlin in 2012, a regular salon series that provides people of color a place to discuss the issues important to them ... and the occasional trap-music party.

She says that racism has definitely been the biggest challenge of living in Berlin.

“The city and the people are still very far behind,” she says. “The German word for racism, rassismus, wasn’t even put into the German dictionary until 1996. All the words used to discuss racism are in English. It’s a challenge.”

Even though Germany has publicly atoned for the atrocities committed during the Holocaust, a political resistance to combat spiking rates in hate crime, along with continued denial of historical atrocities like the 20th-century genocide in modern-day Namibia, makes it a frustrating experience.

Taylor is well aware of these double standards. And, after eight years, she reflects pensively on the time she’s spent here and admits that her feelings on the city are conflicted.

“The spirit of this city is on shaky ground,” she says. Her initial infatuation with Berlin is now mixed with tension, but she finds comfort in the black, ? art community fostered over recent years.

“The biggest thing I love about Berlin is that you can really be free to be yourself here,” she says.

Mark Ivan Mukiibi Serunjogi, a digital marketing manager, agrees. He grew up in an East African community in Copenhagen and moved to Berlin in January of last year for a role with an e-commerce retailer. Serunjogi says that after living in Brooklyn, N.Y., for a while, he had really low expectations about returning to Europe, and that’s why Berlin has exceeded them.

“After going to America, I became aware of so many things still wrong with our [Danish] society. We have this way of telling ourselves that we’re so great and we’re over things. ... America made me more aware. I was worried about coming back to mostly white Europe,” he says.

But Serunjogi believes that working in an international business really helped to assuage those fears, allowing him room to explore the city with an open mind and heart, which ultimately led him to the Black in Berlin group. He says that Googling hip-hop parties in Berlin took him to a late-night event where he met a member who told him about the salon discussions.

“He had me at ‘black,’” he says.

With the added support of a community of color, a solid job and a place to live, Serunjogi says he’s made it work for himself here—but not everything is pleasant. “The worst aspect about living in Berlin is the dating experience,” he says. The city has a reputation of being hopelessly single, and regardless of your sexual orientation, you’re bound to come away with some pretty wild Tinder stories ... like that one time a doctor proposed to me in a WhatsApp message while high on LSD and MDMA (Ecstasy). Classic Berlin.

But he agrees with Taylor that the freedom found in this city makes overcoming those challenges worth the effort—though he warns it’s not for everyone. When asked whether he would recommend the city to other black people considering Blaxit, he said it depends on one’s frame of reference.

“Growing up in Denmark prepared me to live in a mostly white space again in Germany,” says Serunjogi, which is why his expectations were exceeded with the discovery of the local black community.

“Living in Europe [before] gave me tools to deal with that ... but if you come to Berlin because you’re expecting something better, you’ll be disappointed,” he says.

Advising that the best way to experience Berlin is to be open (and ready to be called out on cultural differences), Serunjogi says that giving new voices space to be heard is critical to anyone who has previously lived in America, as he has.

Though Taylor admits that openness is one of the many benefits of living in Berlin, her advice is a bit more practical: “Learn German ... and use it as a weapon.”

As a newly minted local, I can definitely say, “Ich stimme zu.”

Comments

• Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What the ? looking like? Pics

Swear to ? that was the same first question I had 0hcc8tk7m9qw.png
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »
    I was stationed in Germany for nearly three years. Went to Berlin a lot. It was okay to party but meh on making a pilgrimage.

The women had hairy armpits.

what clubs you recommend?

im looking to have a spot there.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    i once was at the immigration office to handle ome ? ...an this young dude came in with this bad dominican chick.....they was both young but dude was getting her a visa.

? like me had to get in they business..
    dude was planning on marrying her...learning better spanish an raising a family with shawty.

these german and swiss chicks want a black man soo bad they taking in the somalian and ethiopian immigrants. them ? got sugar mommas...an they geared up right off the boat.
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? Germany gonna look like California in a minute
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options
    lol i ain’t reading that ? and it aint happening.

Reunification was long and difficult for ? to now want city states.
  • gorilla
    gorilla Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was in Berlin a couole years ago. ? was cool. I'm somehwere in EU usually 3-4 times a year for my job. One yhing I've just noticed is that black americans are look at differently than of "black" folks. I love the variety of women though. So lany different flavors and I always stick out like a sore thumb. I was in France a couple weeks ago and dude cuffed the ? outta his girl in the train when they saw me. She kept peekin tho.

I could easily move to Germany via transfer but Im not sure its for me. I do know I plan to move outta the us someday though
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Still no pics huh
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Still no pics huh

iStock_000074120341_Double_DL_PPT_0.jpg?itok=tD4ERppn

2c261c121d6d3a4490e9b37c5afe4724c117ff15589599e977d0c290b0070b95.jpg

Berlin-Panorama_18-data.jpg

• blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Berlin is easily one of the best cities I have been. But Berlin won't split from Germany the memories of the wall dividing people is still fresh.... An independent London state is more likely
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they speak any anglish ?
  • gorilla
    gorilla Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    freshb651 wrote: »
    they speak any anglish ?

Most of the large cities in Germany speak English. They learn early on in school.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Berliners know how to party, I'll give them that.

It's a great city if you're young. You won't see as many black people there compared to London or Paris, but overall it's a cool city. If I was ten years younger I'd pick Berlin over London at this point in time - good luck finding somewhere cheap to rent or buy in London.
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you really asking this?

It's Germany, mixed baby heaven.

Black soldiers been droping ? in white women then dipping since the late 60's...

What do you think the females out there look like?

alot of the chicks i seen....are heavy bottomed....but they white and easy an will come out they pocket like ? we have never seen.

an if you lay the pipe right....just go home at night an you good.

its this dude i know here....? in the military fro the US.
    had an older white chick like 40 with a big ass. she taking care of him. he in the military in frankfurt. this ? comes here an she out promoting his cd in german while he tries to live out a rap dream in the clubs.

chick bought us all drinks and had the VIP for us..

he keeps most of his loot...said he just started to come up of of it because he started to feel guilty. hes planning on marrying her now.

thats how easy life can be for some.

Yuuup aint a gotdamn thing wrong with getting spoiled by a chick.

I remember them females would risk life and limb to get pipe during field exercises. Be pulling roving guard and seeing fine ass german women jump the wire with tupperware containers full of Jagerschnitzel and Fries.

Them heffas loyal and sex starved.

@blacksamson Wtf is Jagerschnitzel
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Black soldiers been droping ? in white women then dipping since the late 60's...

tumblr_ovieqzolhG1tnaufeo1_1280.jpg
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @2stepz_ahead

@Black_Samson

Do these thick ass German women like fat ? too?
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

alot of the chicks i seen....are heavy bottomed....but they white and easy an will come out they pocket like ? we have never seen.

an if you lay the pipe right....just go home at night an you good.

its this dude i know here....? in the military fro the US.
    had an older white chick like 40 with a big ass. she taking care of him. he in the military in frankfurt. this ? comes here an she out promoting his cd in german while he tries to live out a rap dream in the clubs.

chick bought us all drinks and had the VIP for us..

he keeps most of his loot...said he just started to come up of of it because he started to feel guilty. hes planning on marrying her now.

thats how easy life can be for some.

Yuuup aint a gotdamn thing wrong with getting spoiled by a chick.

I remember them females would risk life and limb to get pipe during field exercises. Be pulling roving guard and seeing fine ass german women jump the wire with tupperware containers full of Jagerschnitzel and Fries.

Them heffas loyal and sex starved.

oh man......these dudes out here aint trynna marry these chicks.....they busy chasing the latinas and asian women to have hybrid babies. an they run to the hoochie spot an drink an fukk all night.

these white chicks aint whats poppin here to them.

most of the chicks i have ran into want an american black dude.
    africans are the substitute until a amercian black dude comes thru.

man ...we are like clean water to a puerto rican right now. everybody wants us.

i keep tell dudes...if i can pull them an i dont even try plus im a corny ? .......i know a thorough dude can take down at least 5 a weekend.

now i see why alot of rappers sneak thru on the low here.

Hell yeah. Enjoy