Is The NY Hip Hop scene stable again?

Options

Comments

• Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NY radio should play 70% local artists and 30% the other ? but politics and all that good stuff
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    BedStuy wrote: »
    Afropunk is literally a sea of black people of all shapes and sizes, coming together in unity enjoying everything there is about black culture from the ratchets to theyet, someone finds a way to hate on that? Its ? like you that would get sacrificed or left behind since you aren't down for the team.

Chill out Spyda. The same thing can be said for Brooklyn's HipHop Festival. Its just a bunch of weirdos in that afropunk festival with colorful dreads and ?

Yo buttah its galou olu dara. I thought we were cool?

We cool always. I ? with Brooklyn hip hop festival too but it's room for both. Like I said Ice Cube headlined last year. Yea it's a lot of eccentric people there but it's also people you would consider regular too. Afropunk just got a lot of different genres. It's not hip hop only.
    Ice Cube was the first real Hip Hop act that performed there. Eccentric? Them ? weird yo. That crowd is definitely flamboyant. I do ? with the Ethiopian and Somali ? that go there because they go to the after party bars around Barclays.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I mean it's just different types of music. Last year Cube headlined, the year before that it was Lenny Kravitz, the year before that it was D'Angelo. This year they got Solange on Saturday, Raphael Saadiq on Sunday. I'm just a music fan. I like all that ? .

I can't speak for no one else but I pull up in a white tee and a gold chain. I keep my ? very simple. But I ain't complaining about the ? walking around with their ? out
  • 270crownst
    270crownst Members Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don q nice but he always raps on trap beats also..
  • emaculate
    emaculate Members Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ? with the NY underground scene, I group it more so though with a regional sound. There are some mainstream cats making a name for themselves but only a few really carrying a torch like that.

Nor'easter Muzik - Music primarily considered underground/less known acts in the North Eastern/Mid Atlantic Coast Regions of North America - this is specifically what I ? with from up North/East

Mainstream I check in on but I prefer more underground from this area jus cuz in a lot of ways it's organic and authentic to where you from lyrically sonically and visually.
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    270crownst wrote: »
    Most of the young ny ? are not going to stop sounding like trap rappers..most of them didn't grew up listening to old eastcoast sound...theyre like 20 to 25..it is what it is..

So you admit ny has been off the radar for a hot min… if ny was relivent does youth woulda grew up listenin 2 ny music instead of trap music… ny hasn't been the same since 50 started beefin wit erry1
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    These are red bottoms, these is ? shoes
  • R2_163
    R2_163 Members Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ya ? really love our city

Any other city thread would have been 2 pages max
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wait till y'all ? hear A Boogie album its done.. And wait till ya'll hear Don Season 2.. I told ya'll ? about Cardi B last year.. Now she got the song of the summer.. Ya'll gonna see..
  • EmM HoLLa.
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »

Put them numbers up …43mill the highest on yo vid selection…
    He might be the new king of ny wit does numbers idk any other rapper THATS MOT JAYZ OR NAS putin does numbers…https://youtube.com/watch?v=55iN4H6kRN4 lil uzi 63mill

All good Uzi had a head start. Boogie is coming.. And like i said.. Those records are all certified Gold or Platinum.. With more in the pipeline..
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only problem I see with New York is they don't have no act that can carry the crown for that region it's like a NBA team with a bunch of solid players but no superstar think ATL Hawks a couple years ago (no I'm not counting Jay a ? 50 shouldn't be carrying the crown for your region).... If they can ever get that one star that'll be what will put NY in good hands
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I mean ? , Nicki is just ok but isn't she a star?
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Really cant call it....I think that them cats have done a great job of mimicking whats hot mainstream wise and churned out some hits, but those cats need to craft something of their own otta that....Aint too much creativity, I like East, Cassanova, Joey, A Boogie, they on the right track....

• GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I mean ? , Nicki is just ok but isn't she a star?

Meh if the ppl carrying your crown are a 50 year old rapper and a female pop star rapper that should tell you NY isn't in the best of hands..... NY needs it's own Kdot its own Drake it's own Cole its own Meek its own Future just its own platinum selling star putting it down for NY to be honest that's why it feels like NY isn't as prevalent nobody is sitting on the throne got a bunch of court jesters and no King
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What separated nyc from other areas in hip hop was it being the knowledge base. Ny always been street too but every region can do that street ? musically as well. Not saying that that's all nyc was good for (street consciousness) but it was their original lane that made ny unique. Now if you wanna talk about sipping lean, moving bricks, riding with a Ak in the babyseat, then you basically on the same ? everybody else on.
  • EmM HoLLa.
    Options
    Ya'll not paying attention.. Dave East just dropped an album today.. Don Q dropped Corner Stories reloaded last week.. Cardi B's son is running up the charts.. A Boogie's album will be out soon.. There is quality music coming from NY but y'all too busy comparing whats coming out to the golden era.. That time has passed.. Appreciate what the current cars are doing.. Because is actually some good music coming out of the city..
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    a_list wrote: »
    Really cant call it....I think that them cats have done a great job of mimicking whats hot mainstream wise and churned out some hits, but those cats need to craft something of their own otta that....Aint too much creativity, I like East, Cassanova, Joey, A Boogie, they on the right track....

I keep repeating the same thing. They get no push. The ones that did breakout like ASAP, Nicki and French either made south sounding music or got a massive cosign from the south. The ones that came along didn't try to sound southern or had a southern cosign. That's ? sad.
  • Beta
    Options
    Thread I made while on the toilet doin numbers..

qcgfkwbr9nfx.gif
  • trendsetta1030
    Options
    Beta wrote: »

qcgfkwbr9nfx.gif

I did in 1 summer wat it took you 4 2 do
  • Beta
    Options
    Beta wrote: »

qcgfkwbr9nfx.gif

I did in 1 summer wat it took you 4 2 do

Oh
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    Ya'll not paying attention.. Dave East just dropped an album today.. Don Q dropped Corner Stories reloaded last week.. Cardi B's son is running up the charts.. A Boogie's album will be out soon.. There is quality music coming from NY but y'all too busy comparing whats coming out to the golden era.. That time has passed.. Appreciate what the current cars are doing.. Because is actually some good music coming out of the city..

Cardi B is looking to be Statue of Liberty for New York Hip Hop revival
    79shb0lm4d98.png
    6alqlzdmh3c8.png
    ga7gqzj2ndk7.gif
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You heard that new Wu Tang? NY is good
  • Nechesh358
    Nechesh358 Members Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Options
    the OGs are holding NY down. but the new school of NY emcees are trash with the exception of pro era and griselda crews.
  • trendsetta1030
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Fuckk outta here… lol it's a sad time 4 ny
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wow that list is terrible

Theres like 2 or 3 artists on there worth a damn