• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good
    Jay has a dope catalog
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Around the time kingdom come was coming out, Jay was asked about this Album and he said "it wouldve been a classic if it wasn't for 3 songs and we all know what 3 songs I'm talking about"

The crowd laughed and agreed, Since then I don't know WTF he's talking about. Only song I can come up with is I know what girls like but what else?
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Good
    Around the time kingdom come was coming out, Jay was asked about this Album and he said "it wouldve been a classic if it wasn't for 3 songs and we all know what 3 songs I'm talking about"

The crowd laughed and agreed, Since then I don't know WTF he's talking about. Only song I can come up with is I know what girls like but what else?

Sunshine and The City Is Mine. I like these two songs.
  • Juttythe3rd
    Juttythe3rd Members Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The city is mine is hated for no damn reason
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Good

Its a smoothed out R&B track on an otherwise Boom Bap Hip Hop album.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Good

MY GUESSES WOULD BE...

SUNSHINE
    I KNOW WHAT GIRLS LIKE
    THE CITY IS MINE

CITY IS MINE HAS DOPE VERSES BUT THE PRODUCTION (ON THESE 3) ARE CLEARLY INSPIRED BY THE SHINY SUIT ERA.

SAMPLE THE BEAT FROM ONE RECORD & LIFT THE HOOK FROM ANOTHER.

ALSO I DON'T THINK JAY PERFORMS THESE JOINTS.
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Classic
    First Jay album I ever bought..
  • Cleveland7venty6
    Cleveland7venty6 Members Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Classic
    My fav Jigga album.

Why? Because of "the streets is watching" movie. It gave me the visual. Then i was all like "ahh haaa. I get it now."
  • THE_R_
    Options
    Good
    I ACTUALLY OWN THE STREETS IS WATCHING ON VHS & DVD
  • Cleveland7venty6
    Options
    Classic
    313 wayz wrote: »

GODDAMMITT!!!! THEN THIS ? TURNS INTO "Hi, My name is..."

Talk about Diggin In Da Crates! sheesh.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Good

That first verse was a better eulogy for Big than what Lox and Puff did and a bonus is that everything he rapped to Biggie actually came true.

I never knew that song was hated though. I remember this dominican barber used to be like "I like dis video man issa jayz" then he would literally sing "U BELONG TO DA CITY". I ended up giving him a dub of reasonable doubt.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good
    I don't get the standards for classic album. Vol 1 had a extremely bad track in I KNOW WHAT GIRLS LIKE, but so has many classic albums. Life After Death had Playa Hata and Another Man, All eyez on me had What's ya phone number, Stillmatic had Braveheart Party,etc.

Vol 1 had some of Jay-z best ? period. I mean classic tracks in Where i'm from, A million and one questions, Fried or Foe. The only wack track is IKWGL and sunshine isn't even a bad track either.

It's easily a 4.5 mic album. I probably listen to it more than some of Jays higher rated albums (American Gangster, Black Album) till this day.
  • 5 Grand
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Good
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    I don't get the standards for classic album. Vol 1 had a extremely bad track in I KNOW WHAT GIRLS LIKE, but so has many classic albums. Life After Death had Playa Hata and Another Man, All eyez on me had What's ya phone number, Stillmatic had Braveheart Party,etc.

Vol 1 had some of Jay-z best ? period. I mean classic tracks in Where i'm from, A million and one questions, Fried or Foe. The only wack track is IKWGL and sunshine isn't even a bad track either.

It's easily a 4.5 mic album. I probably listen to it more than some of Jays higher rated albums (American Gangster, Black Album) till this day.

@ the bolded.

Without those 3 songs it would have been a 5 mic classic.

Edit.

Now that I think about it, without those 3 songs it would be as good as Illmatic.
  • Cleveland7venty6
    Options
    Classic
    Sunshine aint bad. Like, it wasnt a skipper track. Just Cause Jay maybe said something, people be riding against it. I rather listen to Sunshine than Aint No ? .
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    I can't go a day without my sunshine
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good
    Hov the gawd!

Imaginary Player had me on my down south Master P Bout It Bout It ?

im5mqprmdi61.gif
  • THE_R_
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Good
    Broddie wrote: »

That first verse was a better eulogy for Big than what Lox and Puff did and a bonus is that everything he rapped to Biggie actually came true.

C/S THAT VERSE WAS EVEN ON THE LINER NOTES.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wack
    Weed plate status
  • Juttythe3rd
    Juttythe3rd Members Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The jay album with the most classic songs
  • 90's Era
    90's Era Members Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Biggest failure for this album besides Sunshine video was not including the In My Lifetime (Remix) which proved so popular on the music video channels it really put enough people on to Jay-Z for Vol. 2 to actually stand a real chance saleswise.

Not enough people knew about that Streets is Watching soundtrack. That and not including Wishing On A Star which was still released as a Vol. 1 era single in foreign countries but including I Know What Girls Like.

This guy knows what he is talking about..

Imagine this album constructed as he just put it..It would be one of the best ever..

Its still a don album IMO 1 video and 1 BAD song can't change that in my book cause I can find atleast one song on almost every so called classic album I have ever heard that dont stand up to the rest of it..

And the highs of this album are serious..very serious..
  • 270crownst
    270crownst Members Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Vol 1 is one of jays best albums period!!
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good
    Dope album, near classic for me....Never understood the Sunshine hate....I think the video ruined the song for some people....I know What Girls Like is far worse and barely gets mentioned...