Official 2017-2018 NBA Thread

Options

Comments

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mark Jackson during the game and Doris Burke asking Kyrie after about Marcus Smart who they all raved about, finished a +16 which lead both teams but according to the ic

“He shot 3/11, GET HIM OUT THE LEAGUE!”
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I try to root for all the youngins in the league. With that said i'm gonna need Lonzo to step the ? up. This ? only got 13 free throw attempts in11 games? I knew he would be a bricklayer but i at least thought he would play with agression. He outchea makin' Cali ? look soft. I'm not even a Laker or Zo fan but this is a Cali thang and this ? ain't reppin right. Magic come getcho boy!
  • ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mark Jackson during the game and Doris Burke asking Kyrie after about Marcus Smart who they all raved about, finished a +16 which lead both teams but according to the ic

Who said this?
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think lonzo needs to get to using that floater or just start goin to the rim with the intention of yamming, even if it means he'll get sent outta there due to his frame, should be a wrap on him shooting unless he super wide open. he still seems kinda passive. one play I seen dude had an easy floater but instead passed to his teammate who was being boxed out cuz he thought lonzo was gon take the floater
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    O.G. wrote: »

He still first team all ? ? tho.

DAMN!!
  • wilberdmillz
    wilberdmillz Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why do we really care about +/- so much? It seems people really only use it when its convenient for their argument, and before it's mentioned, I understand what +/- is supposed to mean. The other night in that CLE vs MIL game Giannis had the worst +/- in the game but his stat line was crazy. Had he not played so good they'd have lost by more than 5. So even with such a negative +/- he was very valuable to that MIL that game.

Or is +/- only important when it comes to role players and not the stars?
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    +/- over 1 game is useless.

+/- over a stretch of games, or when you have enough data in certain situations like entering bench player a in the 4th quarter with the starters or other specific situation can be useful
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    O.G. wrote: »

He still first team all ? ? tho.

No lies told
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    Why do we really care about +/- so much? It seems people really only use it when its convenient for their argument, and before it's mentioned, I understand what +/- is supposed to mean. The other night in that CLE vs MIL game Giannis had the worst +/- in the game but his stat line was crazy. Had he not played so good they'd have lost by more than 5. So even with such a negative +/- he was very valuable to that MIL that game.

It’s not the only tool to determine a players value but it’s one of the better tools because it reflex everything a player does on the court, if you watched the game last night Smart did a lot of things that won’t show up on the stat sheet that help us win, taking a charge from Lopez, diving for a loose ball, grabbing a board from three Lakers, holding players to well below their fg% and playmaking which does show up in the assist column but he doesn’t get the credit he deserves, a lot of momentum changing plays but for those that go straight to the stat sheet and see 3/11 all of the sudden it’s why do the Celtics play him? I’m inclined to believe Brad knows what he’s doing playing him and Smart been a vital part of the Celtics success and fast rebuild since 2014, context is everything don’t start thinking I’m saying he’s more valuable than a Giannis but I appreciate the grit he plays with I been watching a long time guys like Smart are invaluable he deserves more credit let alone acting like he’s a detriment to the Celtics
  • ghost!
    Options
    Still wondering who said Smart shouldnt be in the league...
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I appreciate the grit he plays with I been watching a long time guys like Smart are invaluable he deserves more credit let alone acting like he’s a detriment to the Celtics

I'd take smart on my squad every time.He can't shoot and flops a lot but I like what he brings to the table,especially defensively

vs okc he set horford up for a crucial bucket late in the game it was a nice play/pass.I like smarts game, bulls should sign him if he don't get a deal done with bos
  • Rum Middleton
    Rum Middleton Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It seems like Lonzo plays short as hell, I keep forgetting this ? like 6'7"...
  • wilberdmillz
    wilberdmillz Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AZTG wrote: »
    +/- over 1 game is useless.

+/- over a stretch of games, or when you have enough data in certain situations like entering bench player a in the 4th quarter with the starters or other specific games can be useful
    After looking at the top +/- guys I see what you're saying cause it's mostly made up of bench/role guys. I'm just over thinking it I guess.

It’s not the only tool to determine a players value but it’s one of the better tools because it reflex everything a player does on the court, if you watched the game last night Smart did a lot of things that won’t show up on the stat sheet that help us win, taking a charge from Lopez, diving for a loose ball, grabbing a board from three Lakers, holding players to well below their fg% and playmaking which does show up in the assist column but he doesn’t get the credit he deserves, a lot of momentum changing plays but for those that go straight to the stat sheet and see 3/11 all of the sudden it’s why do the Celtics play him? I’m inclined to believe Brad knows what he’s doing playing him and Smart been a vital part of the Celtics success and fast rebuild since 2014, context is everything don’t start thinking I’m saying he’s more valuable than a Giannis but I appreciate the grit he plays with I been watching a long time guys like Smart are invaluable he deserves more credit let alone acting like he’s a detriment to the Celtics

You're ? wasn't the reason for mine. Anyone with eyes can see what Smart brings to the team, even with his bonehead plays he's still valuable to the team for all the reasons you listed. We don't need +/- to tell us that. Somebody really said he shouldn't be in the league?
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol sheesh...

DDS said smart shouldn't be in the league guys
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
  • ghost!
    Options
    Thank you damn..lol

Just wanted my damn question answered ? . Ha ha
  • Beta
    Options
    According to several players, the ultimatum issued by Nikola Mirotic — either Bobby Portis goes or he goes — carries no weight. If anything, it has solidified Portis’ standing with his teammates. One Bull even said, “This is Niko’s problem now.’’

Portis tried to reach out to Mirotic via text and in a message but received no response. That’s why players say it’s obvious that Mirotic, 26, has to go. The feeling is Portis has done his part to repair things, and he’s seen as someone who has put in all the work this summer and is a better teammate. Plus, he’s just more liked by his teammates. Choosing Mirotic over Portis would disrupt a chemistry that has been building since the front office made the decision to rebuild by trading Jimmy Butler in June. – via Chicago Tribune
  • Beta
    Options
    “One player whose future is very unlikely to contiue with the Lakers is Julius Randle, their third year forward. Rob Pelinka, their general manager, and Magic Johnson, their president, will be faced with this question. Do they look to trade Randle between now and the February trade deadline and get back potentially a first-round draft pick for him, or do they roll the dice and wait until summer when he’s a restricted free agent.”

And

Luol Deng wants out of Los Angeles, but the Lakers are unlikely to offer a buyout and a team source described the trade market for Deng as “non-existent currently.” One year after signing a four-year, $72 million contract to join the Lakers, the veteran forward told ESPN that he and his agent have discussed a buyout with the Lakers, as well as trade – via Orange County Register

I forgot deng is making that much lol
  • D.D.S.
    D.D.S. Members Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

He trash offensively and his IQ is low. But you’re a dickriding ass ? that refuses to hear any criticism about your fav team.
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    D.D.S. wrote: »

He trash offensively and his IQ is low. But you’re a dickriding ass ? that refuses to hear any criticism about your fav team.

The irony of this fool calling someone else’s iq low, I only refuse to hear criticism from a feeble minded lame who’s criticism is way off base
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BlackAX410 wrote: »
    Boy if Ingram is wes Johnson 2.0 I'm lighting Lakers fans up

ingram outperforming jaylen brown DESPITE being the focus of each team nightly while Jaylen gets to be 3rd ....sometimes 4th option as Tatum comes along
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Stephen A. Smith: Lonzo Ball is 'starting to scare me', 'starting to see bust.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEiDh3ZTDhA