HHDX: Why Haven't Hip Hop Mention Will Smith Aka The Fresh Prince As The GOAT?

Options

Comments

• Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Will was ahead of his time. The culture was in a gangster state when Big Willie Style dropped. I find myself playing Getting Jiggy With It & Just Cruisin alot in present day. Will is a GOAT based on hiphops first Grammy alone.

Funny how ppl always pick & choose when Grammys are worth a damn

Regardless of how people feel, a Grammy is the highest form of public recognition a artist can receive. Back then it was huge because hip-hop was fighting to be recognized as a form of music.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »
    the GOAT? No wonder I forgot about HHDX

They hate on a lot of good ?
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    IMO Fresh Prince had the GOAT DJ which helped haha... He could rhyme, be funny and tell stories and then he became 'Will Smith', for me his first two albums were dope, especially BWS, when I was a kid I used to rinse that album...
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IMO Fresh Prince had the GOAT DJ which helped haha... He could rhyme, be funny and tell stories and then he became 'Will Smith' his first two albums were dope, especially BWS, when I was a kid I used to rinse that album...

Cosign about Jazzy Jeff

Actually, their first two albums were legit. Their first album, Rock The House came out at a time where there weren't many rap albums at the time, so by default the college DJs played the hell out of it.

The second album, He's The DJ I'm The Rapper came out in the spring of 88. There was a lot of competition that summer but Fresh Prince & Jazzy Jeff had their own lane by that point. The were the Parent's Just Don't Understand and Nightmare on My Street, both novelty comedy songs at a time when Public Enemy and Stetsasonic were getting political, NWA and 2 Live Crew were getting censored and catching flack for their lyrics. Rakim, Kane and KRS were raising the bar for lyricism and groups like EPMD, The Jungle Brothers and De La Soul were raising the bar for sampling.

So while all that was going on, Fresh Prince & Jazzy Jeff had their own lane, thats why they worked. They didn't get political and they didn't curse on their records.

Anyway, I'd recommend listening to their first two albums. I'd give the first album 4/5 and the second album 3.5/5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHt_xoaSTXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVApcHyWAaY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h28LERq5fY
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    IMO Fresh Prince had the GOAT DJ which helped haha... He could rhyme, be funny and tell stories and then he became 'Will Smith' his first two albums were dope, especially BWS, when I was a kid I used to rinse that album...

Cosign about Jazzy Jeff

Actually, their first two albums were legit. Their first album, Rock The House came out at a time where there weren't many rap albums at the time, so by default the college DJs played the hell out of it.

The second album, He's The DJ I'm The Rapper came out in the spring of 88. There was a lot of competition that summer but Fresh Prince & Jazzy Jeff had their own lane by that point. The were the Parent's Just Don't Understand and Nightmare on My Street, both novelty comedy songs at a time when Public Enemy and Stetsasonic were getting political, NWA and 2 Live Crew were getting censored and catching flack for their lyrics. Rakim, Kane and KRS were raising the bar for lyricism and groups like EPMD, The Jungle Brothers and De La Soul were raising the bar for sampling.

So while all that was going on, Fresh Prince & Jazzy Jeff had their own lane, thats why they worked. They didn't get political and they didn't curse on their records.

Anyway, I'd recommend listening to their first two albums. I'd give the first album 4/5 and the second album 3.5/5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHt_xoaSTXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVApcHyWAaY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h28LERq5fY

Good post
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He had ghost writers once he went hollywood.
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gee757 wrote: »
    To the nerds hitting me wit negs just like Drake will can never b a goat cuz he got GHOSTWRITERS!
    nujerz84 wrote: »

Did y'all watch the video?... Murs denounce the ghostwriter allegations about Will Smith aka Fresh Prince
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    Options
    Matike85 wrote: »
    To the nerds hitting me wit negs just like Drake will can never b a goat cuz he got GHOSTWRITERS!

Did y'all watch the video?... Murs denounce the ghostwriter allegations about Will Smith aka Fresh Prince

I don't believe him.......
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options

So Nas didn't write Miami and Rakim didn't write Summertime?
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »

Are u sure
  • blackgod813
    Options
    Will smith was just bigger than rap he is a star the likes few will attain
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like Summertime and Parents just dont understand
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are u sure

Watch the video bruh.... Case Closed
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    Options
    So now will don't have GHOSTWRITERS???? Wtf
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are u sure

Watch the video bruh.... Case Closed

Where in video did he say it im not sitting thru 14 minutes
  • blackgod813
    Options
    I love will smith he bigger than hip hop he a light denzel
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Icon?, legend?, yes
    GOAT?, nope
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dude is a "goat," but I like "Fresh Prince" more than I like "Will Smith," and yes, DJ Jazzy Jeff is that dude. His work is not limited to Smith.

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He may not be the GOAT but him and Dj Jazzy Jeff Deserve a spot in the Hall Of Fame

You could make a strong argument that Jazzy Jeff is the Greatest DJ Of All Time.
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So we actin like broadstreet bully beans ain’t more talented than black thought? ? has the charisma of a Toyota Corolla.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The goat of what?

Safe for old white People rapping...