Michael Irvin Says He Was Happiest Playing Football In College Because He Was Broke

Options

Comments

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    College athletes need to be getting paid.

They get a free education.

Four years in college (especially a University) can cost over $100k.

I don't have any problem with a college student getting 4 free years of college in exchange for playing football in front of 80,000 people every week for a semester.

I just feel sorry for the players that don't take their schoolwork seriously and don't graduate...or make it to the NFL.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    “mannn yo parents fed u houses u clothed u..”

ummm.. thats what they were SUPPOSE to do.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^^good point
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

I don't have any problem with a college student getting 4 free years of college in exchange for playing football in front of 80,000 people every week for a semester.

I just feel sorry for the players that don't take their schoolwork seriously and don't graduate...or make it to the NFL.
    Because once they go down, then what? The school leaves a lot of these players high and dry.

They SHOULD be getting paid, knowing the schools get HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS off of ticket sales, merchandising, TV rights, and recruitment funds, especially if schools have Heisman winners.

I don't think it should be a lot, but a stipend scale based on credit hours (or years in school) should be instituted:

Based on a 12-week semester:
    0-29 credits (freshmen): up to $1,500 per semester, or $125/week
    30-59 credits (sophmore): up to $2,400 per semester, or $200/week
    60-89 credits (freshmen): up to $3,600 per semester, or $300/week
    90-119 credits (senior): up to $4,200 per semester, or $350/week
    120+ credits (5th yr): up to $4,800 per semester, or $400/week

This is fair. Not enough that they can "ball out" on, but more than enough to where students can have some spending money.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ your parents didn't do you no favors

I agree and disagree at the same time
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That explains everything and nothing at the same time thank you
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »

Because once they go down, then what? The school leaves a lot of these players high and dry.

They SHOULD be getting paid, knowing the schools get HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS off of ticket sales, merchandising, TV rights, and recruitment funds, especially if schools have Heisman winners.

I don't think it should be a lot, but a stipend scale based on credit hours (or years in school) should be instituted:

Based on a 12-week semester:
    0-29 credits (freshmen): up to $1,500 per semester, or $125/week
    30-59 credits (sophmore): up to $2,400 per semester, or $200/week
    60-89 credits (freshmen): up to $3,600 per semester, or $300/week
    90-119 credits (senior): up to $4,200 per semester, or $350/week
    120+ credits (5th yr): up to $4,800 per semester, or $400/week

This is fair. Not enough that they can "ball out" on, but more than enough to where students can have some spending money.

I'm pretty sure they get meal cards, off campus housing and free books in addition to free tuition.

Throw in some student loans and government grants and they're living just as good as some rich kid with a trust fund.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I’m just as guilty a lot of the times but people don’t understand the gift/curse that comes with being fortunate
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Tha only people he owe is his kids, ma dukes & pops

Kids don't owe their parents ? !!!

You're not going to take care of your parents if their sick or need your help?

This a horrible ? question which has absolutely nothing to do with what I posted. I'll answer it though just for conversation of it all.

YES, I would absolutely help my mother is she needed my help or take care of her if she was sick BUT...... I would do those things because I respect and love her. I would NEVER do that ? cause I owed her.

Like I said kids don't owe their parents ? !

I do ? for people cause I love and respect them. I don't ? with people who feel like if I do something for them or they do something for me I owe them or they owe me.

I say that because whatever is being done isn't genuine its some quid pro quo ? and when it comes to personal relationships I don't and can't rock like that for myself or rock with people who feel like that.
  • D. Morgan
    edited November 2017
    Options

You a cold hearted brotha ta make a statement like that

No I'm not when it comes to this ? here.

If I had millions would I look out for my folks hell yes thats not even question to be asked BUT I ain't looking out for my folks because I owe them cause I absolutely 100% don't owe my parents a muthafucking thing!!!
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    CapitalB wrote: »

he’s right!?

what do we “owe” our parents!?
    we didnt ask to be here..
    they asked US to be here..

they welcome.

Exactly!!!!

• Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Insanity...
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

Lies. They could have dropped that ass off at a foster home and let some one else do it.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

he’s right!?

what do we “owe” our parents!?
    we didnt ask to be here..
    they asked US to be here..

they welcome.

Your pops shot a million plus joints and you fought like hell to be here. Your moms and pops probably asked for a 6'8 260 pound monster who could jump out the gym, and go on to become a gazillionaire.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Easier said than done

If i was one of those NBA/NFL mutants i would
    •Buy a house cash
    •Three cars at a time - one to ride around, one to stunt, one for Mrs.
    Lease them, car values aint ?
    •Buy your parent/s a crib in a good neighbourhood, they dont need a million dollar house they cant upkeep
    •? cousins, uncles, aunts - they can fend for themselves
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    College life + Miami + being a star athlete
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? really in here saying kids don't owe their parents anything? I mean if your parents are ? and didn't do anything for you I guess that's true. But if they were in your life and took care of you, they earned whatever you can do for them. They aren't entitled to anything of course because being a parent was their choice, but they deserve it.
  • felliwonda
    felliwonda Members Posts: 416 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I gotta admit I agree with Irving on this one my people. Much too often as family members we feel our siblings who are successful hold a responsibility to help raise us up solely because of bloodline ties and or family ties, see this what he said is so very real to me is very hurtful but necessary for success listen: (My brothers and sisters, they're all grown. I'm like: 'You guys are grown.' Now I don't mind, I do what I can for all my nieces and nephews. I consider that to be an investment, what I give to them. But I consider it to be throwing money away now when I give to my brothers and sisters. I'm like: "Hey, this is spending money on the past. You guys, your future is set.) Yo this man means no offense I honestly put myself in the shoes of one of his siblings and fall back and say to myself yo this is true! There is nothing like independence no matter how small it may seem in the eyes of the person gaining it and that independence I mean it in all aspects. This is the message he is really trying to give his family! Don’t depend on me because I made it. You are grown keep fighting! But let’s invest in our children they are our future they are the future of this Nation and is true yo. I can go on but this statement he made right there was enough for me.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? really in here saying kids don't owe their parents anything? I mean if your parents are ? and didn't do anything for you I guess that's true. But if they were in your life and took care of you, they earned whatever you can do for them. They aren't entitled to anything of course because being a parent was their choice, but they deserve it.

"aren't entitled" means they aren't "owed" correct??!

if so what are we talking about here??
  • D. Morgan
    Options

That is all
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i hear all yall.....but having money changes the game for you.

either you gotta cut off alot of people or be prepared to always have to fight an not feel welcomed if you aint giving.
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that Irvin' s family are the only ones to approach him for money. It seems like he has a grudge against someone in particular and he's taking it to the public.

I come from a close family. They need it, I got it, they can have it. They don't have to earn my support. That's how family is supposed to work.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    i hear all yall.....but having money changes the game for you.

either you gotta cut off alot of people or be prepared to always have to fight an not feel welcomed if you aint giving.

The game only changes if you change the game. If, you were giving before the extra dollars you will continue to do so afterwards. People who give, do so despite their economic situation. What Mike seems to be describing is, he wasn't a giving person before he came into money so, it's become a burden because, it's not inherent.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"aren't entitled" means they aren't "owed" correct??!

if so what are we talking about here??

You can owe someone without being obligated to pay them back If you ask to borrow $5 dollars from a friend, you technically owe that friend $5. That doesn't entitled your friend to take $5 from you wallet the next time he's at your house.

If you have good parents, they do a lot for you, in many cases going above and beyond what is necessary to simply raise you to adulthood. That puts you in their debt, but it's not some debt where you are contractually obligated to pay them back, so they aren't entitled to anything from you if you choose not to give it.