Suspect ask "For a lawyer, dawg." Court says the request is too ambiguous

Options
King Ghidorah
King Ghidorah Members Posts: 917 ✭✭✭✭✭
On Friday, the Louisiana Supreme Court declined to hear an important appeal involving the constitutional right to counsel. The case involves a man who’d voluntarily agreed to speak with the police. When Warren Demesme realized that the cops suspected him of child ? , he told them, per the trial court transcript, “I know that I didn’t do it, so why don’t you just give me a lawyer dog ‘cause this is not what’s up.” The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that when a suspect asks for an attorney, the interrogation must end and a lawyer must be provided. But the police disregarded Demesme’s request, and the trial court ruled that the statements he subsequently made can be used to convict him.
Mark Joseph Stern Mark Joseph Stern

Demesme appealed, arguing that his Fifth and Sixth Amendment right to counsel had been violated. A state appeals court held that they were not, and now the state Supreme Court has declined to review that judgment, with only Justice Jefferson Hughes III voting to take Demesme’s appeal. Justice Scott Crichton penned a brief opinion concurring in the court’s decision not to hear the case. He wrote, apparently in absolute seriousness, that “the defendant’s ambiguous and equivocal reference to a ‘lawyer dog’ does not constitute an invocation of counsel that warrants termination of the interview.”

Reason’s Ed Krayewski explains that, of course, this assertion is utterly absurd. Demesme was not referring to a dog with a license to practice law, since no such dog exists. Rather, as Krayewski writes, Demesme was plainly speaking in vernacular; his statement would be more accurately transcribed as “why don’t you just give me a lawyer, dawg.” The ambiguity rests in the court transcript, not the suspect’s actual words. Yet Crichton chose to construe Demesme’s statement as requesting Lawyer Dog, Esq., rather than interpreting his words by their plain meaning, transcript ambiguity notwithstanding.

In doing so, Crichton (and the trial court) may well have run afoul of Davis v. United States, the controlling U.S. Supreme Court precedent on this matter. In Davis, the suspect had told his interrogators: “Maybe I should talk to a lawyer.” No lawyer was provided, the interview continued, and the suspect made incriminating statements that were later used to secure his conviction. The Supreme Court held that none of this violated the Constitution. It reasoned that, in order to invoke his Fifth and Sixth Amendment rights, “the suspect must unambiguously request counsel.” The court elaborated:

If the suspect's statement is not an unambiguous or unequivocal request for counsel, the officers have no obligation to stop questioning him. … [H]e must articulate his desire to have counsel present sufficiently clearly that a reasonable police officer in the circumstances would understand the statement to be a request for an attorney.

The constitutional standard, then, is whether “a reasonable police officer in the circumstances” would interpret the suspect’s words as a request for counsel. Demesme’s statement plainly clears this bar. The Davis court was quite explicit that a suspect need not “speak with the discrimination of an Oxford don.” He need only get the point across. Yet because Crichton refused to interpret Demesme’s words as a reasonable police officer surely would, he asserted that no constitutional violation occurred.

Ironically, Crichton’s musing probably makes this case more vulnerable to U.S. Supreme Court review and reversal. The justice unintentionally illustrated a real problem: Courts can manipulate the 'reasonable police officer' standard to conform to their own syntactic preferences

http://www.theroot.com/la-court-rules-that-man-who-said-give-me-a-lawyer-dog-1820157543

osb531rpocj6.jpg

Comments

•   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »
    This country is a joke

• Brian B.
    Brian B. Members Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Knowin how these courts operate, not surprisin

they literally take ? literal, that legal lingo can go a long way
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Brian B. wrote: »
    Knowin how these courts operate, not surprisin

they literally take ? literal, that legal lingo can go a long way
    This^^^

• huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn I'm angry
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »
    This country is a joke

Interestingly enough , even black people laugh at the idea of “Ebonics” being pushed or asked to be recognized as a language nationally and abroad. This example here is exactly why it needs to be recognized
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    His right to an attorney was definitely violated. But child ? ? What did he say that hung him? Who was the victim?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    While I agree that they probably knew what he meant, when your getting interrogated for ? , its no time to be using slang.

In fact, I didn't understand this when I was younger and lost out on a lot of business opportunities, but a good rule of thumb is: never use slang when you're trying to explain something.

Because you might think you explained it perfectly because you understand the slang that you used, but the person that you explained it to might not have understood what you were saying.

Its better to use plain English. Even when you're in the hood with your homies, its best to use plain English. There's no ambiguity when you say, "I want a lawyer".
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he shouldn't have been running his mouth in the 1st place...........a better defense would have been to argue that he wasn't read his Miranda rights fully

if he was read his rights, then oh well that's what u get for telling on urself

can't say I really feel sorry for a child ?

• TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It really dont matter if u were told your miranda rights or not

I been arrested a few times and never read my rights. Thats some TV ?
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It does matter . They just don’t have to say it as they arrest you like on tv.

But they do have to say it before a formal interrogation
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? up but if he was smart enough to ask for a lawyer, it was kinda on him to shut the ? up at that point

I dont agree he should be railroaded like that but they cant use ? you DIDNT say
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hate the railroading but before I climb this hill, I need more details about his case. Not gon fight the good fight for a child ?

One thing has nothing to do with the other.
  • mryounggun
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    While I agree that they probably knew what he meant, when your getting interrogated for ? , its no time to be using slang.

In fact, I didn't understand this when I was younger and lost out on a lot of business opportunities, but a good rule of thumb is: never use slang when you're trying to explain something.

Because you might think you explained it perfectly because you understand the slang that you used, but the person that you explained it to might not have understood what you were saying.

Its better to use plain English. Even when you're in the hood with your homies, its best to use plain English. There's no ambiguity when you say, "I want a lawyer".

Then that's where the ? stops. ? all that other ? .
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »

@mryounggun So you think it makes sense to use slang when you're trying to convey an important message?
  • mryounggun
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »

@mryounggun So you think it makes sense to use slang when you're trying to convey an important message?

When did I say that? I'm saying that the man said they knew what he meant...then continue with a bunch of other ? that doesn't change the fact that they knew what he meant. Either they knew what he meant or they didn't. Any faux-justification beyond that is ? .