Has your city ever had a Serial Killer?

Options
Lou Cypher
Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
Was watching Mindhunter on Netflix (great show btw, check it out.) and it got me thinking how crazy it would be to live somewhere where there was a serial killer terrorizing the city.

Im sure for the folks that live in big cities this would be a definite possibility for you, but for those of us in smaller cities it definitely leaves a weird feeling in the air. After thinking harder on it, i realized Anchorage has had 2 serial killers and one of them was just recently.

Our first one was Robert Hansen, or as he was known in Anchorage "Butcher Baker". This guy was doing his crime in the 70s if im not mistaken. I wasnt around for it but My grandmother and mom were and they would mention how freaked out everyone would be and when folks found out that there was a serial killer around you could tell everybody was on edge.

Butcher Baker did his murders for almost 10 years and like most killers was a really charismatic guy. He owned a bakery here in Anchorage that was a city favorite and was frequented by police all the time. He used that to his advantage and befriended a bunch of the police and was able to get details about what they were doing and he was always able to stay a step ahead of them because of this.

What Baker would do is drive around the streets and pick up young hookers. Some of them teens. He would get them in his van and convince them to come with him, usually by threatening to shoot them. He would then drive to the airport where he had a little Bush plane that he owned and he would fly the girls out to Rural areas North or South of Anchorage. He would land his plane and tell the girls that they were free to leave but they were in the middle of nowhere. The girls would leave and he would give them a headstart, then he would Hunt them like they were wild game.

Amazingly one 17 year old girl was able to escape from him and contacted the police who then got the FBI involved and he was eventually caught. He confessed to 17 murders, but they believe he was involved in as many as 30+.

Will post our most recent one in another post.

For posters: Has your city ever lived through a Serial Killer? What was your city/people like while it was happening? How did it all end?

Comments

• SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm from kc they used to have a guy in Wichita ks back in the 80s who killed a bunch of women and it got reported here a lot. I think to it was the BTK killer
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HH Holmes and John Wayne Gacey here in the Chi and many more
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tampa has one now he killed last night i can feel his pain he's black they say
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There was a ? on the IC from my city who figured out I was from his city and narrowed down which neighborhood I lived in....

He let me know that via PM late at night...then stopped posting
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Like many other states, Alaska has been hit hard by the ? epidemic. With this comes increased ? use as well, which all in turn up the crime rate. In 2015 and 2016 Anchorage broke our record for most Murders in a year. Literally every day almost there was a news report about a shooting, stabbing, or a body found and people were freaking the ? out.

In Anchorage we have these bike trails that go through almost the entire city, they go for miles and are surrounded by woods in most spots. A lot of homeless people set up camp in the wooded areas or junkies will be posted up in the trail trying to rob folks, a lot of people dont love using them but they are pretty active in the daytime with Joggers and stuff.

We kept getting reports of people being found dead on the bike trails, a lot of it was in the same general area too and people assumed it was just drug deals gone bad, but then our police chief was on the news talking about the wave of murders that had been happening that much and one of the reporters asked if there was a possibility of a serial killer and the chief refused to answer. So that started loads and loads of articles and was the talk of the town for a couple weeks. More and more deaths happened (a lot of them drug/alcohol involved and the shooter found) but still more being found in the bike trails. After one of the deaths in the bike trails there was an article that this particular death was being investigated by the FBI and that put everyone on edge real bad. One of these bike trail victims ended up surviving and was able to give a description of the shooter and they released a sketch and had the sketch posted everywhere. Bulletin Boards, Facebook, Light poles, Windows of coffee shops. A little time goes on and a cop was responding to a call at a Bar downtown. He was trying to gather witnesses and sees James Dale Ritchie walking down the street. He asks Ritchie if he witnessed the crime he was being called for (i think cop was responding to someone not paying a taxi driver) and Ritchie did not respond. Cop pulls out his megaphone and asks ritchie again. Ritchie pulls out a gun and shoots the cop several times. The cop falls, gets back up, and starts shooting at Ritchie. Luckily for him another cop was right down the street and was able to drive and help the main officer and they gunned Ritchie down.

They had no idea who he was at the time, but the gun ritchie used to shoot the cop was the same gun that was used to ? 6 people in the bike trails so they came upon him all on luck. If Ritchie didnt shoot that cop, he probably would have killed more people.

Dude wasnt a very big deal compared to Butcher Baker, but he still had the city on edge for a few months. He also killed his adopted brothers son early one morning too and they didnt find out who killed the kid until Ritchie was dead. Must have been devastating looking for who killed your son only to find out its the guy your mom adopted and you grew up with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Dale_Ritchie
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    167.jpg.cf.jpg

"The only thing we feared was Williams, Wayne. Never thought about hitting licks or slanging 'cane" - 3 Stacks
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Kat wrote: »
    Yes, several.

Discuss Kathryn, wtf.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SELASI_i wrote: »
    I'm from kc they used to have a guy in Wichita ks back in the 80s who killed a bunch of women and it got reported here a lot. I think to it was the BTK killer

KC had its own

I went to a bar in KC once and they had a weird shrine type thing made for him

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Berdella
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    DC Sniper had ? scared to pump gas

I remember watching that in the news for a couple weeks when i was a kid. Dude, i would have been ? bricks lol. Dude was taking out completely random people at any time. Literally could have been anyone anywhere.
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Chappelles take on DC sniper was jokes
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I used to live in Vancouver. Robert Pickton was local famous there for being a pig farmer that would get prostitutes from downtown, ? them, then feed them to the pigs, which were later sold in supermarkets.

Now I live in Toronto. Robert Bardo is famous here for a killing spree where him and his woman would kidnap young girls and ? them.

It seems ? up but that's really all we have in Canada. You Americans damn near got a serial killer in every county.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We haven't had a serial killer but I listened to this podcast about this serial ? who eventually did murder, he was the sneakiest of sneakiest ? , brazen the descried, The East Area ? /The Original Night Stalker. He was literally like a thief in the night stealing the ? and eating their food snoppin through their ? . Never caught the guy, they figure/hope he stopped cuz his MO died just as DNA was coming into play.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember back in the 90s there was a pro-lifer going around shooting up abortion clinics. I was at work that day. This was before the internet so we were hearing bits and pieces of news.
    BROOKLINE, Mass., Dec. 30— A gunman dressed all in black stalked into two abortion clinics on the same street here this morning and started shooting, killing two receptionists and wounding five other people.

"Is this the Preterm clinic?" the gunman asked calmly at the second abortion center, stunned witnesses said. Then he reached into a duffel bag, pulled out a rifle and opened fire.

A clinic security guard, Richard J. Sarone, gave chase as the gunman ran from the clinic, situated in a medical office building in a quiet suburban area, but the man wheeled and fired, wounding the guard. Then the gunman vanished.

The shooting brought to five the number of people killed at clinics performing abortions. The three other killings have been in Florida.

Local and state police, along with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, undertook a wide search for the killer this evening, described as a youngish white man with a dark complexion. He was believed to have made his escape in a white or pale-colored compact car.

A Federal law-enforcement official said tonight that a 23-year-old man from Hampton, N.H., just over the Massachusetts border, was a suspect.

The official said a tentative identification had been made from a bag found at the second clinic containing a pistol and a receipt for ammunition from a gun shop in Massachusetts. The investigation by the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms then led to a gun shop in Hampton, where the suspect had previously bought a handgun and a .22-caliber semi-automatic rifle.

The dead were identified as Shannon Lowney, 25, a receptionist at the Planned Parenthood clinic who lived in Arlington, Mass., and Leanne Nichols, 38, of Salem, N.H., who worked at the Preterm clinic. The wounded were all clinic employees or volunteers.

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/12/31/us/anti-abortion-killings-overview-gunman-kills-2-abortion-clinics-boston-suburb.html

Those pro-lifers are no joke.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think south Florida has had a serial killer since ted Bundy. We only have serial ? .
  • TheGOAT
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I don't think south Florida has had a serial killer since ted Bundy. We only have serial ? .

There is an active serial killer in Tampa Bay right now

South florida... north florida.... U florida
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Zodiac killer.

I'm from where a lot of mindhunter was set - Vacaville, Sonoma, Sacramento. Moms used to work at the prison where Manson is.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    in my city nah but i was locked up with charles cullen. i had a violation and the judge sent me to the county for a lil while. during that time cullen was getting ready to plead guilty so for some reason they moved that ? into the pod with us. they told us we couldnt talk to him. they wouldn't let him out his cell and we stayed far away from that ? . we didnt trust that ? at all. ? might have thrown some killer juice at us or something lol. he just sat in his cell but when they transported him to the court house it looked like some hannibal ? .

he was a serial killer nurse. some mercy killing ? in different states. he wasn't scary physically. im sure 90% of us would have beat his ass one on one. it was the fact that the dude didnt know how many folks he killed. he was just killing folks in hospitals all along the east coast. its was eerie.

wiki link if u never heard of him
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Cullen
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Ah man i forgot about this guy, he was pretty recent too.

Israel Keyes
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Keyes

Dude didnt start his spree in Anchorage, but it ended in Anchorage. Dude kidnapped a Barista who was working in a tiny coffee stand that was open 24 hours. She was young and pretty and apparently someone who loved to party. Once she went missing, Israel contacted the family somehow demanding a ransom. This lead to people believing she set up her own kidnapping and was still alive. some weeks go by and they caught the dude and discovered her body. Come to find out this guy has been all around the country robbing banks and people. Confessed to murders in the Dakota's, New York, and Texas i believe. Moved up to Anchorage and started his own construction company, Kidnapped and ? Samantha, killed her, tried convincing her dad she was still alive to get money out of him, then eventually got caught. Was awaiting trial and they believe he was going to confess to more stuff, but he ended up killing himself while in jail. His suicide was pretty controversial because he was already on suicide watch because at his first hearing, he ran out of the room and jumped over the railing trying to ? himself but he lived as the second level of the building wasnt that high up. They think someone in the jail assisted him with his suicide.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yep

Nikko Jenkins
    i9pvlrkc6psu.jpg
    Nikko Jenkins had been in and out of the criminal justice system since the age of seven. By the time he reached adulthood he had been imprisoned many times for violent crimes. In August 2013, less than a month after being paroled from a ten-year sentence for robbery and assault, Jenkins went on a killing spree that would claim four lives in the span of 10 days. Although Jenkins confessed to all four murders, his sentencing posed a problem for the judge. Jenkins had been declared competent to stand trial - and even to represent himself - but the judge was not confident that Jenkins, a diagnosed schizophrenic, was capable of understanding the death penalty charges against him.

Frank Carter
    tcbz7lkdm8i4.jpg
    Irish immigrant Frank Carter (birth name Patrick Murphy) was known as the Omaha Sniper. In February 1926, Carter went on a mayhem spree in and around Omaha. He murdered at least two people and indiscriminately fired his gun into residential windows and businesses. Omahans were urged to stay home and keep their lights out at night since Carter was known to shoot people as they stood in their homes near lighted windows. After his arrest, Carter claimed to have taken 43 lives, but he was only tried and convicted for two murders. He was executed on June 24, 1927.

Michael Ryan
    f49aim3cuik9.jpg
    The small town of Rulo in the far southeastern corner of Nebraska was the setting for Michael Ryan's horrific acts. He led a small white supremacist, anti-government survivalist group called Christian Identity in the early 1980s. Ryan abused and tortured Luke Stice, the five-year-old son of one of his followers; the child died of acute injuries after enduring unimaginable suffering for several months. Ryan later performed unspeakable acts of torture on follower James Thimm, drawing out his pain for two weeks before finally killing him. Ryan was sentenced to death in 1985; he died on Nebraska's death row on May 4, 2015.