The Official DC Cinematic Universe thread - Now Showing - "The Justice League"

Options

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see all of them opening day. Not always the Xmen, but definitely every DC and Marvel Film im there opening day or opening weekend at least.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    a.mann wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

There's a lot of the truth to that, and I'm Marvel guy and can see the bias

I'm not a Marvel guy I'm much more a DC head even if I'm not really feeling their shared movie universe like that but I don't think anybody could deny it at this point.

Even the Fox movies catch extra grief & scrutiny from these geeky critics and web nerds despite being licensed from Marvel and using Marvel characters.

Simply cause it's not by Marvel Studios. The fact that this ? measuring contest (nh) which ruined the comic book community for millions of readers encouraging them to quit collecting has now bled into the superhero movie comunity is sad. That this "war" were you can't be neutral and just enjoy and critique both only exists in their heads makes it even sadder.

DC and Marvel Studios actually root for each other's success. It's a friendly competition. Just like with their respective comic book publishing businesses.

Nah fox sucks period they dropped the ball with the x men films and they made a joke of the fantastic four . you get tired of it after awhile and now the new mutants might get butchered. If they can't get it right just give it back to marvel
  • (ob)Scene
    (ob)Scene Members Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What bias are you all seeing in the Justice League reviews?

To me it seems as if the opinion of these reviewers are that the movie isn't very good but they're going out of their way to credit things such as "entertainment value" just for the sake of not appearing bias.

And when I see a reviewer stooping to talking about "entertainment value" it's a tell-tale sign that either the movie is lackluster or the person reviewing isn't good at their craft.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »
    I'm convinced we've just been so over saturated with the Marvel brand folks are gonna hate no matter what. I'm just happy to see a live action justice league take place in my lifetime

Yea but then why was Wonder Woman so successful?

Maybe...just maybe....zach synder makes ? movies
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm not a Marvel guy I'm much more a DC head even if I'm not really feeling their shared movie universe like that but I don't think anybody could deny it at this point.

Even the Fox movies catch extra grief & scrutiny from these geeky critics and web nerds despite being licensed from Marvel and using Marvel characters.

Simply cause it's not by Marvel Studios. The fact that this ? measuring contest (nh) which ruined the comic book community for millions of readers encouraging them to quit collecting has now bled into the superhero movie comunity is sad.

The fact that this "war" where you can't be neutral and just enjoy and critique both on fair terms; only exists in their heads makes it even sadder.

DC and Marvel Studios actually root for each other's success. It's a friendly competition. Just like with their respective comic book publishing businesses.

Those competitions are online between nerdy fan boys, it aint that serious. Both sides pay to see both films.
  • IamNumberOne
    IamNumberOne Members Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

I follow the 1st reviewer on YouTube and agree with what you said...I just seen it and was getting ready to post it but you beat me to it lol
  • IamNumberOne
    IamNumberOne Members Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also I'm sick of internet geeks attacking suicide squad. ? already I like that movie. "F" you!

Word lol I went to watch it twice...1st time I went I went with friends and the second time I went I took a girl
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    honestly, I dont even go see a Marvel movie anymore unless it has Captain in the title.

I still get hyped for DC movies but these days Im more curious to see what the CW is doing with it.

You're better than me. Up until Spider-Man: Homecoming which I saw cause it's Spidey I hadn't seen anything past phase 1.

Even though I have no interest in the MCU though I get why so many are loyal and extra biased with it.

They took a low rent C lister (Iron Man) that even most comic book readers didn't really ? with as evident by his consistently cancelled books and tanking sales appeal and successfully made him as much a household name as Batman, Superman, Spider-Man and The Hulk.

Not only that they also took a character most people used to mock and laugh at for being a milquetoast patriot (especially ignorant non-comic book fans) in Captain America and showed the entire world why he's actualy thrill as ? . Don't get me started on Thor.

The fact that they took the top 3 Avengers who even Marvel fans didn't ever think will ever realistically compete with the trinity (only Marvel competition they had prior to the MCU with the general public was X-Men, Spidey & The Hulk) and made them not only equal but in the eyes of new generations even superior to the trinity (most iconic superheroes of all time) was a pretty cool and awesome accomplishment. It really was.

My issue really is with the fans (critics and audiences) who feel that because of that feat only they could be the only kid on the block. That's pretty bogus.
  • Broddie
    edited November 2017
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

Simply cause it's not by Marvel Studios. The fact that this ? measuring contest (nh) which ruined the comic book community for millions of readers encouraging them to quit collecting has now bled into the superhero movie comunity is sad. That this "war" were you can't be neutral and just enjoy and critique both only exists in their heads makes it even sadder.

Nah fox sucks period they dropped the ball with the x men films and they made a joke of the fantastic four . you get tired of it after awhile and now the new mutants might get butchered. If they can't get it right just give it back to marvel

But that's not factual just subjective.

They are not consistent with it but they have dropped far more solid and exceptional ones (X2, Logan, Deadpool, Days of Future Past) than they have straight up duds (The Last Stand, X-Men Origins: Wolverine). Everything else is just pretty much in between but objectively no worse than your average MCU release (The Incredible Hulk, Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man 2, Thor).

I also actually like that they're genre hopping cause it's something the X-Men books have always done well.

From the fish out of water story full of multiversal shenanigans seen in Mutant X to the psychological trippiness of Legion (which the TV show adaptation also nailed) and the superpowered P.I. stories of X-Factor Investigations or buddy cop showcases seen in Cable/Deadpool it always kept the X-Men comic book line fresh and unique. I'm glad we're seeing that with the live action media.

Besides even though most remember New Mutants as the X book answer to the Teen Titans they conveniently forget that the story the movie is taking direct influence from was indeed horror oriented. If anything they're keeping the tone faithful as hell.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Throw in what Marvel has done with Guardians of the Galaxy (not even the original squad), Dr Strange and Ant-Man even the biggest Marvel Supporters 10 years ago would not have believed a live action movie about these characters would be made, let alone be super successful.

The thing that is frustrating as a DC fan with the DCEU issues is that its only in the DCEU where DC is struggling...

Comics, Animated Movies/TV Shows, Video Games (Arkham Games Injustice Series etc) and live action from its CW DC Shows to its Standalone shows like Gotham to its various Vertigo imprints (Preacher, Lucifer and iZombie) DC is successful and putting out high quality product in those areas.

The main DC characters are Iconic with great depth and backstories and legendary classic stories to pull from. How do you ? that up?

As for the bias it likely not intentional but it was stated in a video review posted that they seen and reviewed over 30 plus superhero movies... so that has to have played a role in judging the film, in this case Justice League.

Is it possible to say if Marvel Studios never happened or is just starting out, that Justice League would be seen in better light?

Maybe but you can't really answer that for sure.

As for all the Wonder Woman love imo part of it has to do with it being Wonder Woman, Female Director, Feminist Icon/Ideals and the current political climate of the day. Its a very good movie... but in terms of Superhero action and overall expansion of the DC Cinematic Universe, Justice League ? on it.

Perhaps being too knowledgeable of these characters hurts our view. Causal movie goers / and some critics may not get, care or understand the importance of the two credit scenes or
    appearance of a Green Lantern

Especially after waiting so long to see this on film.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Mance Rayder was Steppenwolf
  • Broddie
    Options
    I'm convinced we've just been so over saturated with the Marvel brand folks are gonna hate no matter what. I'm just happy to see a live action justice league take place in my lifetime

The irony of Wonder Woman's story being by Zack Snyder.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So being a producer makes it his movie?

Patty and Allan made that movie or rescued it.

He is cancer.

Either way I got my tickets I'm seeing JL tomorrow I can judge these myself like always
  • Broddie
    Options

So being a producer makes it his movie?

Patty and Allan made that movie or rescued it.

He is cancer.

Either way I got my tickets I'm seeing JL tomorrow I can judge these myself like always

Did I ever say that?

Just pointing out how ironic it is that you enjoyed a movie where the story was conceptualized by him.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im not surprised if the movie is meh
  • matches malone
    matches malone Members Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    i hope its at least as enjoyable as MoS. I like BvS (still havent seen the Ultimate cut), and even though i mostly didnt like SS, I think I've watched it more times than most marvel movies (its on cable all the ? time).

Wouldve been so much better if they chopped the cast in half. They didnt need that many people. Or hell, they couldve just waited and made them the villains of Justice League 2, like in the JL vs SS book.
  • matches malone
    matches malone Members Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »

As for all the Wonder Woman love imo part of it has to do with it being Wonder Woman, Female Director, Feminist Icon/Ideals and the current political climate of the day. Its a very good movie... but in terms of Superhero action and overall expansion of the DC Cinematic Universe, Justice League ? on it.

this actually get me hyped up for the movie more.
  • Broddie
    Options
    i hope its at least as enjoyable as MoS. I like BvS (still havent seen the Ultimate cut), and even though i mostly didnt like SS, I think I've watched it more times than most marvel movies (its on cable all the ? time).

Wouldve been so much better if they chopped the cast in half. They didnt need that many people. Or hell, they couldve just waited and made them the villains of Justice League 2, like in the JL vs SS book.

I rather see the Legion of Doom in a Justice League sequel.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think these guys tend to be fair with their reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KT1UCsOE74

Not sure what movie he was watching with Cyborg in it.

Cyborg played a major part in moving the story along.

Again the depiction of the character was spot on, the actor was excellent in the role

He said that Cyborg played an important role. His point was that Cyborg was basically a walking plot device.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Comicbook.com

Comicbookmovie.com

gave the movie 4 out of 5 stars..
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm one of the people that though JL might be entertaining, but would be a mediocre movie on the whole. I'm pretty sure that's probably the case. That said, I think these reviewers that are giving the super negative reviews are full of ? . I haven't seen the movie, but just going by what they are actually saying, it seems like they are trying to be negative for the sake of being negative.