Options

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »
    The question is plain straight forward.

You put up half your wealth and assets as a security in this contract.

What proportional reward does a man receive for assuming such a risk?

Well, every situation is different, so this is a question I can only answer for myself.

First, your premise itself is flawed, at least in my case. It basically assumes that my wife came into the marriage with no wealth and has contributed no wealth since we've been married. That's untrue. I've contributed more, so if we divorced and were forced to split things evenly, I'd take a loss, but not as bad what you're implying.

In exchange,

I've got a partner for raising my children, which is important to me because I wanted children but I had no interest in baby mama drama.

I've got a partner in finances. Even though she makes less than me, a second income still allows for me to get more for less of my own money. On top of that the tax breaks for married couples is pretty good. We basically get to take a vacation every year paid in large part to that.

I don't have to deal with the hassle of dating. If I feel like having some female companionship, I have it, and I don't have to worry about whether I'll be compatible with her because I already know I am.

I don't have to grind for sex. I get it when I want it. And it's true that I've had relationships in the past where I wasn't married and got virtually the same thing, but those were more tenuous in nature and never lasted very long forcing me to have to go through the process of finding a new one. On top of that, my wife makes herself available for that because she sincerely enjoys it and believes it's part of her responsibility as a wife. When chicks don't have that ring, a lot of them seem to think you owe them something for their sex even when they want it as much as you.

We split housework/chores. She tends to do things I don't want to do and vice versa. That's a minor thing, but its a benefit.

And past all that, she legitimately cares about me and looks out for me. I have sleep apnea. I didn't know it. She was the one that first realized that I stop breathing in my sleep. She's also the one that hassled me until I got it checked out. And it's good she did because the doctor said mine is particular bad and not getting it treated would have shaved real time off my life. So I already know I can count on her to look out for my best interests even when I'm not.

Like I said, every situation is different. So far, the risk and investment has already been worth it for me. For some that might not be the case.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well, every situation is different, so this is a question I can only answer for myself.

First, your premise itself is flawed, at least in my case. It basically assumes that my wife came into the marriage with no wealth and has contributed no wealth since we've been married. That's untrue. I've contributed more, so if we divorced and were forced to split things evenly, I'd take a loss, but not as bad what you're implying.

In exchange,

I've got a partner for raising my children, which is important to me because I wanted children but I had no interest in baby mama drama.

I've got a partner in finances. Even though she makes less than me, a second income still allows for me to get more for less of my own money. On top of that the tax breaks for married couples is pretty good. We basically get to take a vacation every year paid in large part to that.

I don't have to deal with the hassle of dating. If I feel like having some female companionship, I have it, and I don't have to worry about whether I'll be compatible with her because I already know I am.

I don't have to grind for sex. I get it when I want it. And it's true that I've had relationships in the past where I wasn't married and got virtually the same thing, but those were more tenuous in nature and never lasted very long forcing me to have to go through the process of finding a new one. On top of that, my wife makes herself available for that because she sincerely enjoys it and believes it's part of her responsibility as a wife. When chicks don't have that ring, a lot of them seem to think you owe them something for their sex even when they want it as much as you.

We split housework/chores. She tends to do things I don't want to do and vice versa. That's a minor thing, but its a benefit.

And past all that, she legitimately cares about me and looks out for me. I have sleep apnea. I didn't know it. She was the one that first realized that I stop breathing in my sleep. She's also the one that hassled me until I got it checked out. And it's good she did because the doctor said mine is particular bad and not getting it treated would have shaved real time off my life. So I already know I can count on her to look out for my best interests even when I'm not.

Like I said, every situation is different. So far, the risk and investment has already been worth it for me. For some that might not be the case.

Most people don’t realize what they have until it’s gone...could you be ignoring the risk involved?

Do you know what you have to lose ?
    Is what you have worth losing?

• gorilla
    gorilla Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    when we gonna do a thread about how men fukking up?

i will gladly lead the charge.....

Been done to death bro. Black men especially been getting told how ? up we are for decades. Honestly Im getting tired of the women bashing threads too. I think its time to stop wasting our energy on certain ? .

How bout a thread where we share common ideas on how to move the community forward. Drop some info about local and national programs our youth can take advantage of. Stuff like that
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    u can have all that without being married tho...
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    jetlifebih wrote: »

In exchange,

Most people don’t realize what they have until it’s gone...could you be ignoring the risk involved?

Exactly, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

We've all talked about how 50% of marriages end in divorce.

However, some of us seemed to ignore the fact that there's another 50% of marriages that don't end in divorce.

So far, @The Lonious Monk doesn't fall into that category.

So, if we're all going to be totally objective and open-minded..........we have to acknowledge that the 50% of marriages that end in divorce has nothing to do with the 50% that don't end in divorce.........and vice versa.

Meaning, just because someone has a successful marriage.........it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone else who gets married will have that same experience.

By the same token, if someone's marriage ends in divorce...........it doesn't necessarily mean that all other married couples are going to eventually experience that either.

It's basically a 50/50 ? shoot either way.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    jetlifebih wrote: »

In exchange,

My family is the most important thing to me. There isn't much more I care about to be honest, so if I list them, anything else that went with them would be of little consequence.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

that's a pretty significant dilemma for a husband..........and the problem is leverage in the wife's favor creates a situation where a woman doesn't have as much of an incentive to be a good spouse other than the shame associated with breaking up a family (and people still won't say she is at fault haha)

I'd like to think any guy who willing proposes what he believes is the highest form of commitment genuinely intends to see his marriage work

but if a man is forced between keeping his family together and not having a sex life cuz he is stuck in a sexless marriage

how many of ya'll gon "man up" and stay with dry ? until u get divorced?

how many of ya'll gon say ? it and start cheating?

let's see who gon keep it real haha

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gorilla wrote: »

Been done to death bro. Black men especially been getting told how ? up we are for decades. Honestly Im getting tired of the women bashing threads too. I think its time to stop wasting our energy on certain ? .

How bout a thread where we share common ideas on how to move the community forward. Drop some info about local and national programs our youth can take advantage of. Stuff like that

while i agree with you...i proposed that thread to counter this thread.....and for good reason.

like i said earlier.....these problems stem from men. we need to be stand up guys.
    im not about bashing but if ? aint ? ...it is what it is.

i hear alot of what a woman should be doing but why does every guy think he deserves that?

why does every guy think he should get the best of the best without the work or patience to see it thru?

an for the building up thread....? aint trynna hear that.
    if you cant tell a ? how to get money step by step 85% of the ? on here aint trynna hear it.

but building a community is recognizing the problems and fixing them. an sometimes you need to be told your ? stinks...even if you dont want to hear it....but that should make you want to wipe your ass an be better.

? dont like being told what to do but want to be told what to do.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

that's a pretty significant dilemma for a husband..........and the problem is leverage in the wife's favor creates a situation where a woman doesn't have as much of an incentive to be a good spouse other than the shame associated with breaking up a family (and people still won't say she is at fault haha)

I'd like to think any guy who willing proposes what he believes is the highest form of commitment genuinely intends to see his marriage work

but if a man is forced between keeping his family together and not having a sex life cuz he is stuck in a sexless marriage

honestly.... i would try to work thru it with wifey and go to therapy....try to see what went wrong and when.

if we cant make it work...i gotta bounce.

but i cant say cheating would be out of the window.

i cant blame it on not being perfect or im only human...thats a safe cop out.

id doing it because i want what i want...an i can get very ? selfish when i want to because i am so giving, i would fell like it all balances out.

dumb logic but its my truth
  • gorilla
    Options

while i agree with you...i proposed that thread to counter this thread.....and for good reason.

like i said earlier.....these problems stem from men. we need to be stand up guys.

i hear alot of what a woman should be doing but why does every guy think he deserves that?

why does every guy think he should get the best of the best without the work or patience to see it thru?

if you cant tell a ? how to get money step by step 85% of the ? on here aint trynna hear it.

but building a community is recognizing the problems and fixing them. an sometimes you need to be told your ? stinks...even if you dont want to hear it....but that should make you want to wipe your ass an be better.

Well, up that thread my ? . Let's have a pow wow
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

Well, up that thread my ? . Let's have a pow wow

you go ahead an start it.....ill follow up in it.

im not in the thread making mood...the opening post would be full off negative ?
  • blakfyahking
    Options

honestly.... i would try to work thru it with wifey and go to therapy....try to see what went wrong and when.

id doing it because i want what i want...an i can get very ? selfish when i want to because i am so giving, i would fell like it all balances out.

how long u going to therapy tho?

weeks?

months?

years?

what is the appropriate time limit to wait while u not getting no ass the entire time?

what about the kids? they gotta move out of a nice house, in a nice community, with good schools just cuz momma too lazy to consistently give up the ass?

bad broads throwing it at u everytime u step out the house.......all u gotta do is say yeah and bring a condom

predatory single AND married chicks at ur job sense ur elevated pheremones, and want to try u one time just for their own ego's sake

how long til u give in to that bad broad in the business skirt and heels at ur job, while wifey still sitting at home in ol pajamas with a shower cap on her head and a bad attitude?

:(

• gorilla
    Options

That's a tough one.

When a couple stops having sex, there's an underlying issue. So I'd try to work on the root of the issue. If that didn't work then ? it's a tough as choice to be made. On one hand,I think I'd say ? it and get that satisfaction on the side. But then I'd look at my wife like why the hell am I even with you? Resentment would set in and ? would be miserable.

If it's medical than I'd have to compromise. My main concern would be her well being anyway.

But if we are both healthy and the relationship otherwise is good then we'd have to figure out how to get back to ? .
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

how long u going to therapy tho?

weeks?

months?

years?

what is the appropriate time limit to wait while u not getting no ass the entire time?

what about the kids? they gotta move out of a nice house, in a nice community, with good schools just cuz momma too lazy to consistently give up the ass?

bad broads throwing it at u everytime u step out the house.......all u gotta do is say yeah and bring a condom

predatory single AND married chicks at ur job sense ur elevated pheremones, and want to try u one time just for their own ego's sake

how long til u give in to that bad broad in the business skirt and heels at ur job, while wifey still sitting at home in ol pajamas with a shower cap on her head and a bad attitude?

therapy takes time. i cant say how long i would be in it but i would have to determine that on progress and if the will is there for us both to try.

if my marriage ever got to that point....i would be more worried about losing my best friend and right hand than sex at that moment. sometimes sex can be put on the back burner while something else is the priority.

as for the other chicks.....let me keep this 100.

i once broke up with this chick i was sprung on....? had me fukked up for a bit. went to a chicks house she slobbin...by homie wouldnt wake up. a few days later ..my ex stopped over, we talked and just her touch woke homie right up.

i say that to say...unlike with most people sex starts mentally with me. so if im in a situation where i may lose my wife...sex would be far from my mind.
    but thats just me tho
  • anduin
    anduin Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So what of this boils down to is everyone has different expectations and should figure out what works for them individually. Know the risks, make the decision and live with the results whatever they may be.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

how long til u give in to that bad broad in the business skirt and heels at ur job....................while wifey still sitting at home in ol pajamas with a shower cap on her head and a bad attitude?

f5if0lqmqovs.gif
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

This would invovlve ? being honest with themselves...and truth be told ? lie to themselves more than they lie to the women they deal with
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

This would invovlve ? being honest with themselves...and truth be told ? lie to themselves more than they lie to the women they deal with

like with dating down for instance

for anyone dating up has its appeal for obvious reasons .... nothing wrong with dating down either ..what matters most is chemistry

but let's talk about the men who purposely date down trying to gain the upper hand

who will consciously chase after emotionally damaged/vulerable or younger and or unestablished women who are more likely to accept their ? and not ask any questions and be submissive...easier to manipulate...less likely to leave

and/or they want the women to feel indebted

a lot of these bad divorces started off this way...

women do it too to...for different reasons

lot of ? to go around though
  • sunlord
    sunlord Members Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    lol silly girl as a general rule men don't date down we ? down No man really wants an emotionally unstable woman but we will have sex with one.

Younger women generally look better that's why many men prefer them...... also no man wants an old haggard ? with a 100000 miles on her ? .
  • sunlord
    Options
    Yo, @LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY and @sunlord, would ya'll agree that the heart of our disagreement is regarding the likelihood of a person changing drastically?

We all agree that marriage is risky and has a chance of ending very badly for all parties involved. I believe you can reduce the risk or find out if marriage is the right idea for you by examining the factors in place and making a wise decision. It won't lower the risk to zero, but it might lower it enough to be a risk worth taking.

You guys seem to believe that no matter what you do, you can't lower the risk significantly because even if you make the right decision for the moment, there is always the point that your S/O will change drastically making that earlier vetting useless.

Would you say that's a fair interpretation of your side?

I don't believe we can reduce the risks under our current social circumstance....The choice to divorce or not to divorce all comes down to the random EMOTIONAL/ psychological impulses of the female mind. Unfortunately the laws and social rules of this nation support all the bad instincts of women.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    u can have all that without being married tho...

Some of it you can't (e.g., the tax breaks). Most of it you can, but what's the likelihood of getting all of it from a chick that doesn't want to be married? So basically, you find a chick have your cake for a little while, then get an ultimatum where you either take that next step or step away. You can step away, but then you got try and grind again to find a replacement. I'm good on that. If you find what you want, why not keep it? If it's not what you want or you don't want it enough to accept the risk, I can understand that too.
  • blakfyahking
    edited November 2017
    Options
    yeah like I expected

? giving them safe answers cuz reality is a ? :joy:

LOL @ sex being mental when u ain't had no ? in a year......that ? is reality for some married mofos

if there is a medical issue, of course.........I mean who ain't gon still be faithful

but what about when people just get into a rut

days turn to weeks, weeks turn to months, months turn into u being mad at a job with attractive chicks flirting with u daily cuz that's what happens when the opposite sex works together on a regular basis

now u love wifey, but the rut has now turned into resentment........now wifey may even be trying to change, but the resentment from u being neglected now has turned into her being resentful as well just cuz u had nerve to be resentful 1st (yeah that don't make sense but we talking about women haha)

now u resentful even more cuz u mad that shorty got nerve to give u issues when she already had the nerve to fall off

meanwhile this ? been going on so long u literally seeing chicks at ur job go from winter/raincoats to now they wearing short skirts and fitted dresses w/heels to work......... seasons literally changing cuz u been waiting and putting up wit the ? for so long

? really gon just tell their kids that daddy is moving out just so they can say didn't "cheat" on the mom?

u kicking jr and baby girl outta their own rooms knowing that if u split households out of a sense of honor, that the whole family gon have to downgrade?

nah I don't see ? choosing to spoil Christmas for the kids like that....not when u can just cut that chick at ur job during lunch a couple times to relieve stress and go home like nothing is wrong :(

and the chick at ur job u smashing even understands cuz she is married too with a mortgage/kids over her head

but let me stop before I start making all these faithful mofos nervous

• sunlord
    Options
    You maybe able to vet a woman for the character traits you desire but that cannot defend you from divorce because that ? can happen because of the things you cannot see or do not notice the change in your woman can happen over night or it can happen slowly.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think we need to consciously define the line of thinking between those of us males who possess legitimate skepticism between a traditional man / woman relationship dynamic

And the other line of thinking by some men who just have zero faith in all or any woman's ability to show empathy or fairness through out a struggling relationship.

Ive been with women that love so f*cking hard that any thing they perceive as too critical, insulting, or disrespectful can result in an unnecessary wrath of fire and brimstone.

...You know the "ima , cut your d*ck off types if you ever disrespect me" type.