Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Broddie wrote: »
    So i just watched Watchmen again and im confused. If Zack Snyder can do such a great job with the action scenes, tone, and beautiful visuals why is it his DC movies arent up to par? Watchmen>>>>
    OXeOj.gif

Watchmen was almost verbatim to the graphic novel. It was essentially a storyboard already drafted for him. All he had to do was follow the script. Watchmen is hard to ? up, all they did was change the ending.

It's not just that the ending was changed on the surface. It's entire point and purpose is completely different than that of the GN's ending. As are a lot of the character beats and motivations

A lot of the thematics and key parts of the GN's narrative in general were changed, removed or completely misinterpreted by Snyder's only faithful on the surface level adaptation.

This is why so many fans of the book completely hated it. I don't have time to break down the specifics but there are many articles or internet posts on comic book forums that take the film to task accordingly.

Watchmen adaptation was only really good to people who didn't know the story beforehand or only understood it on an extremely superficial level.

It's partly understandable because Watchmen's storytelling only truly works the way it does because of how that form of narrative execution was tailor made for the comic book format.

What the movie should've done was adapt the main themes and truly reinterpret them for a cinematic storytelling format. Not try to ape comic book storytelling in a medium not really built to serve it. Tell the story in a way that could only be told only with the film medium. Spiritually that would've been a more faithful approach. In that sense Terry Gilliam had the right idea.

Dayum @Broddie Watchmen "sucked" and so did Avengers ? LOLOLOLOL bro are there any movies you actually like ?? Watchmen was DOPE AF. They took out the scene with Rorschach too before the little girl but I think some of those scenes were unnecessary.

Bro just sharing common information for the sake of conversation since it's basically what damn near everybody who really dug the book felt about that Watchmen movie and the movie was brought up here.

Haven't watched either movie in years (when both were in theaters). Won't be seeing them anytime soon and no I don't really like modern superhero movies like that. I find a lot of them to be grossly overrrated.

My standards for them are higher than most people's I guess. I expect them to be just as good as any other type of movie and The Dark Knight was damn near 10 years ago. Not too many exceptional ones since then. Which of course is totally my opinion that I have a right to have.

I rarely see any and don't believe in giving a generic blockbuster a pass just cause it's a novelty (The Avengers) or based on a favorite comic book of mine. It is what it is. Everybody has genres they don't really ? with. I love horror and action movies. Most people find them tasteless.

? forgive me for not operating within a think tank I guess but as any adult who can walk and chew gum at the same time knows. Opinions are like ? .
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    Options
    So i just watched Watchmen again and im confused. If Zack Snyder can do such a great job with the action scenes, tone, and beautiful visuals why is it his DC movies arent up to par? Watchmen>>>>
    OXeOj.gif

Watchmen was almost verbatim to the graphic novel. It was essentially a storyboard already drafted for him. All he had to do was follow the script. Watchmen is hard to ? up, all they did was change the ending.

It's not just that the ending was changed on the surface. It's entire point and purpose is completely different than that of the GN's ending. As are a lot of the character beats and motivations

A lot of the thematics and key parts of the GN's narrative in general were changed, removed or completely misinterpreted by Snyder's only faithful on the surface level adaptation.

This is why so many fans of the book completely hated it. I don't have time to break down the specifics but there are many articles or internet posts on comic book forums that take the film to task accordingly.

Watchmen adaptation was only really good to people who didn't know the story beforehand or only understood it on an extremely superficial level.

It's partly understandable because Watchmen's storytelling only truly works the way it does because of how that form of narrative execution was tailor made for the comic book format.

What the movie should've done was adapt the main themes and truly reinterpret them for a cinematic storytelling format. Not try to ape comic book storytelling in a medium not really built to serve it. Tell the story in a way that could only be told only with the film medium. Spiritually that would've been a more faithful approach. In that sense Terry Gilliam had the right idea.

Dayum @Broddie Watchmen "sucked" and so did Avengers ? LOLOLOLOL bro are there any movies you actually like ?? Watchmen was DOPE AF. They took out the scene with Rorschach too before the little girl but I think some of those scenes were unnecessary.

Bro just sharing common information for the sake of conversation since it's basically what damn near everybody who really dug the book felt about that Watchmen movie and the movie was brought up here.

Haven't watched either movie in years (when both were in theaters). Won't be seeing them anytime soon and no I don't really like modern superhero movies like that. I find a lot of them to be grossly overrrated.

My standards for them are higher than most people's I guess. I expect them to be just as good as any other type of movie and The Dark Knight was damn near 10 years ago. Not too many exceptional ones since then. Which of course is totally my opinion that I have a right to have.

I rarely see any and don't believe in giving a generic blockbuster a pass just cause it's a novelty (The Avengers) or based on a favorite comic book of mine. It is what it is. Everybody has genres they don't really ? with. I love horror and action movies. Most people find them tasteless.

? forgive me for not operating within a think tank I guess but as any adult who can walk and chew gum at the same time knows. Opinions are like ? .

No doubt about that. I agree with you on the Watchmen movie. Complete ass to me. That was the point where I hopped of the Snyder bandwagon. Still can't believe Warner Bros gave this dude the keys to the Ferrari and he crashed it into the wall. I honestly think most fans just accept this mediocrity now. They just want a couple of references and dumb action with no context and they're fine. Doesn't matter that the film is trash. I still don't understand how Star Wars fans could watch the Force Awakens and think that trash was good but more power to them.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options
    OXeOj.gif

It's not just that the ending was changed on the surface. It's entire point and purpose is completely different than that of the GN's ending. As are a lot of the character beats and motivations.

manigga do you know who you are talking to ? dont try...

bp9q4l7zie0i.png
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Do you know who you're talking to?

too_good_for_grumpy_cat.jpg

Stop

2d0a03f47f0430466e77dcbafb7f2cfa92669f60_hq.gif
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Huey_C wrote: »
    Saying Steppenwolf was a ? villain is like saying Alfred was a ? butler or Detective Gordon was a ? cop.

ujfua45f5x1u.png

Your statement makes no sense

To someone with cognitive dissonance, I'm sure it does.

Imagine if I'm the biggest Gordon fan in the world. I'd be mad as hell saying they ruined his character by not devoting at least half an hour to him.

You're so emotional when it comes to this ? lol. You're too dense to process any type of negative critque of the film. Steppenwolf is the most generic and basic of villains so far in this universe, no debate.

Doomsday was a villain in this universe, so I think there's plenty to debate.

Lex Luthor was the main villain in BvS, doomsday was essentially Luthor's vessel of destruction. Doomsday didn't carry the movie.

Lex Luther being the villain isn't saying much either though. Steppenwolf is say is number 2 villain in this movie universe with Zod being number 1 by far.

One of the many reasons DCEU is failing
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Movie wasn't terrrible but was just meh.

Cgi was bad. It's wild how marvel can get this right but DC Can't.

I know batmans a dark character but all D.C. Movies lighting seem dark

Batman is flabby, always gettin his ass whooped or punked (superman,WW AND Aquaman shittin on Gotham) and disgusting at how ? he gets when Superman is around he gets all googly eyes
    Only thing he got is WW and him have alil sexual tension which is cool since Supes has LL

Aquaman is just for the ? son was kinda powered down here

Flash a kid learning to be a superhero

WW carried this movie

Cyborg was cool

Was expect the Villian we got to be a warm up to what would come near the end or second half of the movie but that ain't happen.

• Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Batman is flabby, always gettin his ass whooped or punked (superman,WW AND Aquaman shittin on Gotham) and disgusting at how ? he gets when Superman is around he gets all googly eyes
    Only thing he got is WW and him have alil sexual tension which is cool since Supes has LL

WW carried this movie

Cyborg was cool

Was expect the Villian we got to be a warm up to what would come near the end or second half of the movie but that ain't happen.

Exactly, Batman should be stoic, confident and hard to read not emotional and at times comedic. I feel like they dropped the ball with his character in that sense. I can probably blame wheedon for that.
  • Agrv2385
    Agrv2385 Members Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Zack Snyder’s Justice League Reportedly 3 Hours Long
    By Tom Chapman 2 hours ago 15 Comments

With Zack Snyder’s Justice League turning out to be one of this year’s most divisive movies, it has been revealed that the superhero spectacular was originally filmed at three hours long – but would an extended runtime have helped or hindered Snyder’s maligned masterpiece?

Uniting Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Cyborg, and Aquaman for their first on-screen ensemble, there was a lot to pack into Justice League‘s stingy 120 minutes. Snyder had completed the lion’s share of the movie before he left for personal reasons, leaving The Avengers director Joss Whedon to take over. It is reported that Warner Bros. insisted on a shortened runtime and that Whedon’s involvement impacted around 33% of Justice League, which ultimately led to Snyder’s plans of a much grander affair falling by the wayside.

Beyond The Trailer‘s Grace Randolph gave her own honest review of Justice League and also spoke about her top-secret visit to the studio lot. When discussing the pros and cons of the movie, she revealed that yes, Snyder’s first draft ran at a hefty three hours. It’s a similar case to David Ayer’s Suicide Squad, which went under the knife and had arguably some of its best material slashed. Even from the Justice League trailer, there is a myriad of shots that didn’t make the finished product, meaning fans are begging to know what else was left on the cutting room floor. So, apart from Iris West and Lex Luthor, what did we miss out on?

As Randolph points out, an extended cut was shown to Warner Bros. execs before Justice League went on its cutting spree, and unlike Suicide Squad, an extended release of Justice League wouldn’t take a mountain of work to get there. The big question now is if the studio will relent and give superhero fans the movie they asked for. Snyder is a director that’s known for his “Ultimate Edition” cuts of films like Watchmen and Batman V Superman, but everyone involved seems to be playing down the chances of an extended Justice Leauge.

From Ben Affleck’s double to the movie’s cinematographer, the obvious horde of baying fans, and even a petition doing the round, it looks like everyone wants a Snyder cut to see the light of day. Only time will tell whether the powers that be decide to gift Justice League‘s original form to the world, which would hopefully allow fans to experience the conclusion of Snyder’s DC trilogy as it was intended to be seen.
  • (ob)Scene
    (ob)Scene Members Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why are you blaming WB? Who the ? hands in a 3hr runtime for a blockbuster and expect it not to be significantly trimmed. Especially when you already have prior experience of what’s likely to happen if you do so.

I’m sure an expected runtime was communicated prior to filming and an adequate plot should have been storyboarded as such.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Zack Snyder's biggest downfall was always overshooting for the stars. Over ambitious. He has no restraint. He overcomplicated the ? for no reason. Always trying to throw 3 movies worth of material into one movie. Instead of making one movie at a time. Like he did with Man of Steel.
  • Agrv2385
    edited November 2017
    Options
    kinda agree. as a film maker you should be able to tell your story within 2 and a half hours. im sorry but i dont have 3 hours to set aside everytime i feel like watchin one of these movies on blu ray. I love bvs extended but rarely do i watch it cuz its just too damn long. 2 hours was too short but i aint want no 3 hour movie either.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    I think Zack Snyder would be great for a Mortal Kombat film
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think Zack Snyder would be great for a Mortal Kombat film

Nah son James Wan will make it look better
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

WW carried this movie

Cyborg was cool

Exactly, Batman should be stoic, confident and hard to read not emotional and at times comedic. I feel like they dropped the ball with his character in that sense. I can probably blame wheedon for that.

Its just a different interpretation . the movies are a separate universe from the comics and animated movies . he was stoic dark mysterious and a killer before he met superman because something in his life and career as batman pushed him to the edge. After fighting Superman ad the whole Martha thing being that saving Superman's mom was like a second chance for batman to save his mom In a way brought back some humanity in him. So it seems they are forming a bond with the two like the golden age world finest comics instead of a quiet unspoken respect for each other that's portrayed in modern comics or animated series. Maybe they will have him be dark and brooding in the solo batman movie. I don't think the ligjt hearted ness in batman was that bad though. They didnt over do it.Usually i would have some gripe about these movies not doing what the source material does but I've come to accept that the.Movies are their own universe
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Justice league was just aight
  • Agrv2385
    Options
    apparently someone who worked for the vfx on the movie posted this...

Alfred's "let's hope your not too late" cut scene from the trailer is addressing Superman. No one else. It's funny because it was cut a few weeks before the trailer came out so we were like "ugh" when it was in the trailer.
    The cut hologram scene is also Superman Not Supergirl, or any ? like that.

The cut scene of Flash breaking through the glass is from a scene where he's rushing to save Iris from a Car Crash with a hot dog van. It was cut fairly early on when Famuyiwa bailed on Flash as Kiersey Clemons was cast due to his involvement. It's currently being worked on again to remove Clemons and replace her with a random woman for the home release. Whether that means an extended version or just for deleted scenes, I don't know. I expect Clemons will be recast.

The original after credit scene that was shot in principal photography was Bruce being woken in the night in his lake house by a green light and being visited by Tomar Re and Kilowog. It was cut fairly early on during post.

My friends all worked on the beard removal shots. Now, nobody was happy about these having to be done in the first place - it's a ludicrous notion and had to be done in only 3 months over 4 vfx companies. A massive task, and Warner Bros were thoughtless not to push the film back based on this alone. The initial idea was to shave Henry's beard, and then WB would foot the bill for the VFX of adding the beard back in for Paramount's MI6. This was tested on existing shots from Zack's principal photography and very successful - adding a beard as opposed to removing one is a walk in the park. It's essentially body track, groom/fur SIM and lighting/comp as opposed to rebuilding a man's entire ? face. Despite the success, Paramount said ? off and beard removal was the only option. Why they couldn't just stick a false tache on him in MI6, we'll never know.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    edited November 2017
    Options
    ^^^^^^ I bet Tom Cruise’s overbearing ass was the one who was stubborn as ? about this.

he is a ? E.P
  • Broddie
    Options
    Kick everybody off. Even Geoff Johns. Give the keys to the kingdom to Paul Dini and Bruce Timm who singlehandedly saved Warner Bros Animation Studios with their DC toons from the 90s. See where it goes from there.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I always felt comic writer’s creators should be writing the stories and screenplays of all these films. Heinberg wrote Wonder Woman..Dini should write Harley Quinn’s next movie etc etc