DMX Pleads Guilty To U.S. Tax Fraud Charge

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Rap artist and actor DMX pleaded guilty on Thursday in federal court to avoiding paying $1.7 million in taxes from 2000 to 2005 by shifting money among accounts belonging to managers and associates.

DMX, whose real name is Earl Simmons, pleaded guilty in Manhattan federal court to one count of tax fraud. Prosecutors had accused him of hiding millions of dollars he earned from hit songs, including “X Gon’ Give it to Ya” and “Where the Hood At.”

“I failed to file taxes,” Simmons, 46, said to U.S. District Judge Jed Rakoff. “I‘m responsible, even placing other people in charge of it.”

Simmons, of Yonkers, New York, faces up to five years in prison, three years of supervised release and $100,000 in fines. He also will be required to pay the $1.7 million in back taxes.

Rakoff had to query Simmons repeatedly before he admitted that he knew he was evading taxes.

As he left the courtroom, Simmons told reporters he was relieved the trial period was over. Simmons’ sentencing is set for March 29.

He had pleaded not guilty in July and was released on a $500,000 bond. His bail conditions required Simmons to remain in New York, but Rakoff granted him permission to perform in Denver, Los Angeles and New Orleans.

Prosecutors said Simmons evaded paying taxes through a cash-only lifestyle and by depositing royalty checks in various third-party bank accounts.

Simmons said that the accounts were held by multiple managers, his ex-wife and one of his children’s mothers. Simmons has 15 children by different women.

The rap star’s prior arrest record includes charges of animal cruelty, reckless driving, drug possession, weapons charges and probation violations. He has had several felony convictions and served prison time in Arizona.

Simmons made headlines this week after officially releasing his own rendition of the classic Christmas song, “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.” The release followed a video of him rapping the song in his well-known hoarse voice that went viral in 2012.

Along with his rap career, Simmons has starred in such films as the 1998 crime drama “Belly,” the 2000 action movie “Romeo Must Die” and the 2003 heist film “Cradle 2 The Grave.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-people-dmx/rapper-dmx-pleads-guilty-to-u-s-tax-fraud-charge-idUSKBN1DU32J?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5a20d03f04d301460595b0a2&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

Comments

• HK365
    HK365 Members Posts: 106 ✭✭
    Options
    I didn’t know X was charged with animal cruelty? I always thought he was a dog lover?
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    c'mon man! I thought he was doing well?! smh
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HK365 wrote: »
    I didn’t know X was charged with animal cruelty? I always thought he was a dog lover?

I think he left them alone or something, it wasn't like michael vick situation. but still cruel cause they can't take care of themselves
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    "faces up to five years in prison, three years of supervised release and $100,000 in fines. He also will be required to pay the $1.7 million in back taxes"

this ? over doing it
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    "faces up to five years in prison, three years of supervised release and $100,000 in fines. He also will be required to pay the $1.7 million in back taxes"

this ? over doing it

His problem isn't that he didn't pay his taxes.

His problem is that he went out of his way to hide how much money he was making, like the IRS can't pull up your info on a computer in 5 seconds flat.
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some ? will never change
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DarthRozay wrote: »
    HK365 wrote: »

I think he left them alone or something, it wasn't like michael vick situation. but still cruel cause they can't take care of themselves

Yea they played him with that ?
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    Lmao that ? who wanted mods to sticky DMX music because he gained weight mad disappointed right now

Who the ? did that
  • 7EL7
    7EL7 Members Posts: 24
    Options
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

this ? over doing it

His problem isn't that he didn't pay his taxes.

His problem is that he went out of his way to hide how much money he was making, like the IRS can't pull up your info on a computer in 5 seconds flat.

That understood all I'm saying damn they want the 1.7 mill he owes which is cool but also want $100,000, give him 5yrs which I'm sure when out he'll have to pay those years cause of his earning from his music,which also means his child support will be adding up etc.

It's ? up right now for him but ? could be even more ? up in 5yrs but he a grown man.

"Pay ya taxes ya ? hustlin backwards"
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Every time it seems like X could be about to drop a new album the government is ? with him, they need to let the man be so he can drop the album maybe then he will make the money to pay them greedy ? back, come on X Hip Hop needs you man!
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "You think a crackhead paying you back,man forget it"
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Every time it seems like X could be about to drop a new album the government is ? with him, they need to let the man be so he can drop the album maybe then he will make the money to pay them greedy ? back, come on X Hip Hop needs you man!

How many second chances should he get?

It seems like he's been in a scandal at least once per year over the past 20 years.