Comments

• blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mseries_ wrote: »
    bigev240 wrote: »
    @Mseries_

Mark Clattenburg: I allowed Tottenham to self-destruct against Chelsea in 2016

Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg says he "allowed Tottenham to self-destruct" when he refereed the 2-2 draw with Chelsea in May 2016 as Spurs conceded the title to Leicester.

Spurs needed to beat Chelsea to retain any hope of winning the league.

Clattenburg says he "went in with a gameplan" so he could not be blamed by Tottenham for losing the title.

He booked nine Spurs players in the bad-tempered match, but now says he could have sent off three players.

Chelsea and Tottenham received record fines from the Football Association following the game, while Tottenham midfielder Mousa Dembele was banned for six games for violent conduct against Chelsea's Diego Costa.

Speaking to NBC's Men in Blazers podcast, he said: "I allowed them [Spurs] to self-destruct so all the media, all the people in the world went: 'Tottenham lost the title.'

"If I sent three players off from Tottenham, what are the headlines? 'Clattenburg cost Tottenham the title.' It was pure theatre that Tottenham self-destructed against Chelsea and Leicester won the title."

Asked if he helped to "script" the game, he replied: "I helped the game. I certainly benefited the game by my style of refereeing.

"Some referees would have played by the book; Tottenham would have been down to seven or eight players and probably lost and they would've been looking for an excuse.

"But I didn't give them an excuse, because my gameplan was: Let them lose the title."

Clattenburg took charge of the Euro 2016 final, as well as that year's Champions League and FA Cup finals.

In February, he left his job as a Premier League official to become Saudi Arabia's new head of referees.

Clattenburg says he had to change his style of refereeing when he took charge of European matches.

"The English style of refereeing is different," he added.

"I had to referee differently when I went into Europe because none of the top players in Europe would accept some of the physical contact that went on in the Premier League - but that was the theatre, that's what people loved.

"They love a tackle, they don't want it punished."

Man in the middle – Clattenburg's ups and downs
    Highs

2000: Referees his first Football League match aged just 25 (Chesterfield v York).

2004: Joins Premier League Select Group. First match is Crystal Palace v Everton.

2006: Joins Fifa list of referees.

2016: In charge of the FA Cup final, the Champions League final and Euro 2016 final.

Lows

2005: Fails to spot that a shot from Tottenham’s Pedro Mendes had been dropped over the line by Manchester United goalkeeper Roy Carroll.

2007: Shows red card to Everton defender Tony Hibbert in a Merseyside derby after appearing initially to reach for yellow. Later fails to dismiss Dirk Kuyt for wild lunge at Phil Neville.

2008: Suspended after claims he owed £60,000 as a result of a failed business venture, and sacked by Professional Game Match Officials board. Reinstated but suspended for eight months.

2012: Chelsea lodge formal complaint to Football Association that he used “inappropriate language” to John Obi Mikel during a match with Manchester United. Cleared by FA.

2014: Is stood down for one weekend after phoning Crystal Palace manager Neil Warnock after a game and then travelling home from game alone (both against the rules).

This guy is a Newcastle supporting ? that hates London clubs. ? him I hope he's getting ? on in Saudi Arabia right now.

I've been saying the premier league refs had a bias against SPURS now here is the PROOF for you all to see.

Lol can you show me the bias? Also why would they be against spurs you don't win anything

https://youtu.be/xowj6Qx78so

THIS PLUS THE COMMENTS = BIAS

1 thing and it's proof every ref against you lol
  • Mseries_
    Mseries_ Members Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ANYWAY SPURS WILL BEAT MAN CITY IN 2 WEEKS
  • Mseries_
    Options
    bigev240 wrote: »
    @Mseries_

Mark Clattenburg: I allowed Tottenham to self-destruct against Chelsea in 2016

Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg says he "allowed Tottenham to self-destruct" when he refereed the 2-2 draw with Chelsea in May 2016 as Spurs conceded the title to Leicester.

Spurs needed to beat Chelsea to retain any hope of winning the league.

Clattenburg says he "went in with a gameplan" so he could not be blamed by Tottenham for losing the title.

He booked nine Spurs players in the bad-tempered match, but now says he could have sent off three players.

Chelsea and Tottenham received record fines from the Football Association following the game, while Tottenham midfielder Mousa Dembele was banned for six games for violent conduct against Chelsea's Diego Costa.

Speaking to NBC's Men in Blazers podcast, he said: "I allowed them [Spurs] to self-destruct so all the media, all the people in the world went: 'Tottenham lost the title.'

"If I sent three players off from Tottenham, what are the headlines? 'Clattenburg cost Tottenham the title.' It was pure theatre that Tottenham self-destructed against Chelsea and Leicester won the title."

Asked if he helped to "script" the game, he replied: "I helped the game. I certainly benefited the game by my style of refereeing.

"Some referees would have played by the book; Tottenham would have been down to seven or eight players and probably lost and they would've been looking for an excuse.

"But I didn't give them an excuse, because my gameplan was: Let them lose the title."

Clattenburg took charge of the Euro 2016 final, as well as that year's Champions League and FA Cup finals.

In February, he left his job as a Premier League official to become Saudi Arabia's new head of referees.

Clattenburg says he had to change his style of refereeing when he took charge of European matches.

"The English style of refereeing is different," he added.

"I had to referee differently when I went into Europe because none of the top players in Europe would accept some of the physical contact that went on in the Premier League - but that was the theatre, that's what people loved.

"They love a tackle, they don't want it punished."

Man in the middle – Clattenburg's ups and downs
    Highs

2000: Referees his first Football League match aged just 25 (Chesterfield v York).

2004: Joins Premier League Select Group. First match is Crystal Palace v Everton.

2006: Joins Fifa list of referees.

2016: In charge of the FA Cup final, the Champions League final and Euro 2016 final.

Lows

2005: Fails to spot that a shot from Tottenham’s Pedro Mendes had been dropped over the line by Manchester United goalkeeper Roy Carroll.

2007: Shows red card to Everton defender Tony Hibbert in a Merseyside derby after appearing initially to reach for yellow. Later fails to dismiss Dirk Kuyt for wild lunge at Phil Neville.

2008: Suspended after claims he owed £60,000 as a result of a failed business venture, and sacked by Professional Game Match Officials board. Reinstated but suspended for eight months.

2012: Chelsea lodge formal complaint to Football Association that he used “inappropriate language” to John Obi Mikel during a match with Manchester United. Cleared by FA.

2014: Is stood down for one weekend after phoning Crystal Palace manager Neil Warnock after a game and then travelling home from game alone (both against the rules).

This guy is a Newcastle supporting ? that hates London clubs. ? him I hope he's getting ? on in Saudi Arabia right now.

I've been saying the premier league refs had a bias against SPURS now here is the PROOF for you all to see.

Lol can you show me the bias? Also why would they be against spurs you don't win anything

https://youtu.be/xowj6Qx78so

THIS PLUS THE COMMENTS = BIAS

1 thing and it's proof every ref against you lol

BRo I know you like instigating ? BUT THIS IS REAL we have got the guy that officiated the 2016 FA CUP CHAMPIONS LEAGUE EURO CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS captured on audio recordings with a bias gameplan to affect the outcome of a multibillion-pound sports league match

nz1z82uvc7hv.jpg

THIS ? IS UNBELIEVABLE
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ANYWAY SPURS WILL BEAT MAN CITY IN 2 WEEKS

Tranquilo
  • Manc
    Manc Members Posts: 376 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm always down for an avi bet
  • Mseries_
    Options
    let's do a Premier league club roll call

6 Man Utd fans
    3 Chelsea fans
    1 or 2 Man City fans
    1 Everton
    1/2 Brighton fan
    1 Liverpool fan
    1 Tourist Watford fan
    1 Swansea Fan (****)
    #? Arsenal fans
    1 SPURS FAN

• CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    let's do a Premier league club roll call

6 Man Utd fans
    3 Chelsea fans
    1 or 2 Man City fans
    1 Everton
    1/2 Brighton fan
    1 Liverpool fan
    1 Tourist Watford fan
    1 Swansea Fan (****)
    #? Arsenal fans
    1 SPURS FAN

Lol
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Olivier Giroud has been told by France to find first-team football in the second half of the season or risk missing the World Cup.
    The Arsenal striker has been an important part of the France set-up under Didier Deschamps but has fallen out of the first-team picture at the Emirates Stadium.
    Giroud has often started ahead of Alexandre Lacazette for Les Bleus but has slipped down the pecking order at the Gunners due to his compatriot's £53million summer arrival in north London.

Having only played 234 minutes in the top flight, Deschamps' assistant Guy Stephane has warned Giroud he must find a solution to his lack of first-team football.

'It's clear that he's not playing enough and Didier has already had the chance to talk about it,' Stephane told TF1. 'He has to find a solution in the coming weeks.
    'It's up to him to see. He's been very good in the last couple of months, he's featured a lot and scored important goals, so now he has to play a lot.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5143349/Olivier-Giroud-warned-leave-Arsenal.html#ixzz50K3XPD00

@bigev240 Big Sam to work his charm in Jan?
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Options
    Giroud at Everton improves the form of Sig straightway
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL @ Arsenal fans attacking Shearer, Wright and Lineker on twitter for being biased in their MOTD analysis

46FA784F00000578-5144253-image-a-14_1512402547936.jpg

46FA78F500000578-5144253-image-a-15_1512402552083.jpg

46FA811A00000578-5144253-image-a-17_1512402874821.jpg

46FA810600000578-5144253-image-a-16_1512402867836.jpg

46FA824B00000578-5144253-image-a-20_1512402938335.jpg

46FA824500000578-5144253-image-a-21_1512402944242.jpg

46FA81D600000578-5144253-image-a-18_1512402924166.jpg

46FA833A00000578-5144253-image-a-19_1512402930424.jpg
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Options
    Arsenal fans in their feelings. I kno' a lot like that tho'. Arsenal fans are the only group of fans I kno' who dislike Neville as a pundit they think he's biased against them
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Giroud's wife isn't leaving London to go to Merseyside. Therefore, Giroud will be on the bench at the Emirates
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL @ Arsenal fans attacking Shearer, Wright and Lineker on twitter for being biased in their MOTD analysis

46FA784F00000578-5144253-image-a-14_1512402547936.jpg

46FA78F500000578-5144253-image-a-15_1512402552083.jpg

46FA811A00000578-5144253-image-a-17_1512402874821.jpg

46FA810600000578-5144253-image-a-16_1512402867836.jpg

46FA824B00000578-5144253-image-a-20_1512402938335.jpg

46FA824500000578-5144253-image-a-21_1512402944242.jpg

46FA81D600000578-5144253-image-a-18_1512402924166.jpg

46FA833A00000578-5144253-image-a-19_1512402930424.jpg

Fools were talking about arsenal playing a good game. Their best game in years. Foh.

All those shots and only one goal. Concede three at home. Foh!
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Options
    I kno' nuff Arsenal fans thinkin' like that
  • chgarcia345
    chgarcia345 Members Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Sion
    b9zgx87fg9jo.jpg

HOW ARE THINGS in toronto?? How is the vibe there ?? People checking for this weekend final?? U guys lost last year. And this year BOTH SQUADS are at full strength,,
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Options
    @Sion
    b9zgx87fg9jo.jpg

HOW ARE THINGS in toronto?? How is the vibe there ?? People checking for this weekend final?? U guys lost last year. And this year BOTH SQUADS are at full strength,,

Oh ? I'll watch this if I'm awake
  • blue_london
    Options
    To be fair to arsenal fans Alan shearer has no idea what he's talking about ever! I can't watch match or the day I feel like the pundits are trying to insult my intelligence
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    33 shots and 1 goal is a ? return. We might as well not bother. Man Ure finished their chances, we didn't - that is what matters.
  • blue_london
    Options
    Shearer said you can only be world class if you win prem ..... Then very next breath harry kane hazard world-class..... 3 weeks later there only one world class player in the premier league aguero... My brain just can't handle it
  • englishdude
    englishdude Members Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Arsenal fans in their feelings. I kno' a lot like that tho'. Arsenal fans are the only group of fans I kno' who dislike Neville as a pundit they think he's biased against them

I ? with Neville as a pundit, was surprised how unbiased he was once he started working behind the scenes.

Was expecting him to ? ride Man U all day, but he says it how it is most of the time.
  • Mseries_
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @Sion
    b9zgx87fg9jo.jpg

Don't forget this dude @northside7 is from Toronto / Brampton not sure if he reps T dot FC he should though since they wear red.

Junior Holliet is doing well this season.............
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sunil Gulati, the longtime president of U.S. Soccer, will not seek another term as head of the federation, he told ESPN.

"I spent a lot of time thinking about it and talking about it with people in many different positions -- many of whom told me I should run," Gulati said on Monday. "But in the end, I think the best thing for me personally, and for the federation, is to see someone new in the job."
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    To be fair to arsenal fans Alan shearer has no idea what he's talking about ever! I can't watch match or the day I feel like the pundits are trying to insult my intelligence

Alan Shearer does my head in to he talks so much schitt, I struggle to listen to him, thankgod they got rid of Lawro and Hanson too as all 3 of them moody ? puts you on suicide watch...
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    With regards to Clanttenburg (i cant stand the ? ) I can see it 3 ways...

1. He didnt want to be the scapegoat, like Spurs trying to get sent off so their excuse for losing the title was down to Clattenburg sending them off, making him the newspaper headline not Spurs bottling it... I can see why he thought the way he did..

2. BUT at the end of the day he has to referee the game as the rules permit... So if he becomes the headline so be it...

3. This is part of point '2' I guess, but he also has a duty to PROTECT the players too and if players are getting away with some CRAZY challenges he is putting them at risk, especially the Chelsea players as there some proper nasty tackles flying in from the Spurs players and they were getting away with it... It could put fans at risk too, as it seemed to make the crowd pretty feisty as a result...