Was Kool G Rap the first modern gangsta rapper?

Options
2»

Comments

• Rahlow
    Rahlow Members Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BDP - Criminal Minded album (imo)
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What you guys don't understand is that im saying mafioso rap wasn't a term ten years ago

that's why im trying to figure out when the term was actually first used

wiki definition of the term to describe rappers like kool g rap was not used to describe the sub genre back when the music had came out

in my opinion it is a new term with no history like mumble rap

Mumble rap is a nickname for a subgenre of rap music, originating in the mid-2010s in the United States. Contents. [hide]. 1 Origins; 2 Critiques; 3 See also; 4 References. Origins[edit]. The term mumble rap was first coined by Wiz Khalifa, in June 2016 at a radio interview. Artists commonly referred to as "mumble rappers" ...

u telling me mumble rap has history too?

No it doesn't it was started on the internet and wiki ran with it

it's like urban dictionary

you got ten definition to 1 word of the urban dictionary

it's a matter of opinion for those entered their personal definition of the word

So you telling me mafioso rap was considered a sub genre in the 90's?

No

it was a sub genre created by internet geeks who needs to separate it and give it a title
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    scholly d

This is exactly who I came to say.
    It's either Schoolly D or Ice T
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In my head I think Schooly D was the first 'gangsta rapper', but G Rap was the first to birth the new style of the like 'butter flow' rap along with mafiaso lyrics...
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have a handful of songs I could post to answer the question, but first: can somebody define the term "gangsta rap"?
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Don't forget Just Ice.

https://youtu.be/jdI-WR4XUe0

Just-Ice used the term "gangster" but by today's standards he wasn't a gangster rapper. He cursed on some of his records but that's about it.

That's why I'm asking for a clear definition of "gangsta rap".
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Don't forget Just Ice.

https://youtu.be/jdI-WR4XUe0

Just-Ice used the term "gangster" but by today's standards he wasn't a gangster rapper. He cursed on some of his records but that's about it.

That's why I'm asking for a clear definition of "gangsta rap".

I really don't give a damn about today's standards to be honest. Also, most of the dudes doing dirt wasn't false flagging on records. Just Ice was also official in the streets though. You might be correct if you are applying the "West Coast" definition of Gangsta Rap. I consider all grimy music Gangsta..
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    to me a this is where it gets tricky

cuz back then if you was ? you was considered a gangsta rapper

even if you were mafioso cuz if im not mistakes even italian mafia was considered gangsters

so you didn't actually have to be a west coast set claiming gangster from L.A. to be a gangster

you could a hustler from New York with ties to the mob or just involved into some street type ?

and you was lumped into the gangster catagory

it was later on they started separating into different categories like mafioso etc .....

a gangsta is not the L.A. definition of the term in Houston.

to be a gangsta in L.A. you gotta live and die by your set and your color red or blue etc.

In Houston you can bang red or blue you could wear either color,you can go into different hoods and hang out with them

you can do business with a person wearing red or blue

you don't have to shoot people based off the color they wear

but you can basically do some gangsta ? like hustle, bust shotz , jack moves , rob ? gangsta do ...

yeah you may be in a set but many times you don't have to be part of a particular set

that's why they will say man that's gangsta

Ima gangsta but they will have people wearing red in their rap crews even tho they claim blue.

There are folks not even in gangs and if you ask the gangsta rappers they might say he gangsta

it's like the term is a lil looser then it is out west

you aint gotta have all these qualifications