Artists who make their own beats( Best combo of both)

Options

Comments

• Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kanye
    Em's beats always came off as a bit generic to me. Still wondering whos idea it was for him to work on Loyal 2 the Game.
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Dj quik
    Go figure wrote: »
    Em's beats always came off as a bit generic to me. Still wondering whos idea it was for him to work on Loyal 2 the Game.

I actually forgot about that....that was some good tracks

im bumpin that on the way home matter of fact

edit: ? google play for only having the clean version smh
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Dj quik
    DJ Quik makes beautiful music, ? C is a very close second and I can't believe you left Daz Dillinger off the list.

https://youtu.be/w1GLtIKAj7A
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No love for Pete Rock?! Da hell!
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Kanye
    So we just gonna leave out Dre huh and don't say he not a rapper when we counting Kanye
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Other
    Diamond D
    Lord Finesse
    Roc Marciano
    Madlib
    Beatnuts
    J-Zone
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Earl Sweatshirt
    I'll never forget bumping I Don't Like ? , I Don't Go Outside front to back like "damn who blessed Earl with these" then looking up the producers on wikipedia like

giphy.gif

so imma vote for that.

otherwise.....

Let's keep it a bean and acknowledge Kanye is obviously the real GOAT with "the belt in two classes" - that's why I couldn't respect how Quincy Jones dissed him. How many other musicians have evolved from producing to becoming a bonafide international rock star writing their own hits? Not many.......Trent Reznor....Babyface.....Pharrell maybe?

Quik is a iconic legend but he never got his full due outside Cali. I thought RZA was a great rapper when I was kid and somebody slurring "CHOPPIN OFF YA LEGZ LIKE CIRCULAR SAW BLADEZ" sounded edgy and cool. Pete Rock was always borderline, okay as a MC. I love Dilla's ? tha Police song. Black Milk spits hard on every one of his classic albums. Timbaland legit ethered Scott Storch lol.

Anyone who votes for Cole should be banned.

Alchemist has slowly developed into a surprisingly good rapper over the past decade. He sorta does his best Kool G Rap impression and you can tell he's trying REALLY HARD to write good verses. (something I loved about Kanye's old music) The Gangrene stuff he makes with Oh No is dope af. It works because Oh No is better than Alc too, I actually wish he rapped over his own beats more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_lCOWVkrb4

also this guy seems to be curiously left out of these discussions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-Tip_production_discography

• Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Other
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    So we just gonna leave out Dre huh and don't say he not a rapper when we counting Kanye

Kanye used to write rhymes, Dre never wrote a rhyme in his life.

Kanye got put on as a rapper by spitting for Dame. Dre put himself on.

Kanye still performs regularly. Well Dre....
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Of the list....quik

Of the newer generatipn...i think logic gotta be mentioned
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? c
    My thing with Quick is that his ? dont always be mastered right. Vocals too low or instruments too high, etc. And hes got some skippable tracks to me.

But ? ?! That ? ? has always been flawless. Signature sound, voice, but ill admit hes not the best lyrisits. ? that last part, hes too busy being trill for rapping acrobatics.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Dre wrote on Compton
  • GetoBoy
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Kanye

How Kanye get put on as a rapper when he was producing for the Roc B4 we even knew who the ? was??? He was put on as a producer the rapping came later and at this point we don't know who wrote what but we know they both came in as producers and got ghost writers can't exclude one and include the other
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dj quik
    Mannie
    Juicy j
    Scarface makes a beat every once in a while
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    K.r.i.t
    Went with Krit, but ? was right there as well. No ghostwriters or help on their beats.
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Other
    Eric Sermon, J Dilla, Rza, Q-tip, Daz, Outkast, MF Doom Souls of Mischief, Redman, the Chill from CMW....
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dj quik
    VERY surprised by the poll results..

i guess ill have to talk ? another day. :disappointed:
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dj quik
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Quik is a top 10 rapper and a top 10 producer. Can't say that about anybody else. KRIT the best to come out in the past decade. Can't count Kanye because he had too many ghost writers, just not to the extent of Dre.

Another dope rapper/producer that comes to mind is Daz.

Quik >>> Dre
    so u sayin Dre dont make ur top 10??
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Options
    K.r.i.t
    R2_163 wrote: »
    To all the people ? on kanye, your telling me Kanye never had classics beats and wasn't Ill on the mic before he got crazy mainstream?

Yall know damn well he didn't have ghost writers and producers his entire career

He should've had it none of his career.

I ain't tripping on the production side but the rapping......

giphy.gif

you might as well put Dre in the poll
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • R2_163
    R2_163 Members Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Dre is the goat producer. Thing about Dre is that it's pretty much public knowledge at this point that ALL how songs were ghost written. He doesn't even need to hide it. There's no shroud of mystery.

You can say kanye had writers all you want but it's still a speculation.
  • GetoBoy
    Options
    Kanye
    Dre is the goat producer. Thing about Dre is that it's pretty much public knowledge at this point that ALL how songs were ghost written. He doesn't even need to hide it. There's no shroud of mystery.

His songs be having like 20 ppl with writing credits ain't nothing about that speculation lol
  • R2_163
    edited December 2017
    Options

His songs be having like 20 ppl with writing credits ain't nothing about that speculation lol

What's up for more speculation. That or having a ? load of reference tracks and artists talking about the "experience of writing for Dre"

+ Dre doesn't even have his own style. He dead ass flows like the people that ghostwrote for him. Can't believe this is a debate.
  • R2_163
    edited December 2017
    Options
    And this thread is turning into b.s
    Someone mentioned alchemist and Mannie fresh
    We're only talking about producers who are also elite level rappers. Just cause they can struggle rap don't mean they should be mentioned.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Options
    K.r.i.t

? ain't no speculation, he didn't write Jesus Walks, Rhymefest did.

And you can hear the way he rapped and what he rapped about on his first few albums, when he was ? w/ GLC, Rhymefest, and Con. Verses his last few albums when he wasn't ? w/ them.