The Official 2017 NFL Season Thread

Options

Comments

• infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    It is, he does a show in Vegas now advocating for legal gambling for the most part.

Not surprising. He always made thinly veiled references to gambling during games.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    It is, he does a show in Vegas now advocating for legal gambling for the most part.

Not surprising. He always made thinly veiled references to gambling during games.

Yup. He played a big part in getting Jimmy the Greek his job on NFL Today to talk about point spreads back in the day. The goat pre game show.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Musberger stopped giving a ? right around “2nd down and 9!!!!!”
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If AB84 stayed on the ground for 5 mins, they would’ve denied the appeal.

All this ? is wack.

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21691975/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-signs-contract-extension
    Source: Goodell signs deal worth up to $200M

Roger Goodell has signed a five-year contract extension to remain the commissioner of the NFL, according to a letter obtained by ESPN.

A source told ESPN's Adam Schefter that the new contract would be worth $200 million over the life of the contract -- about $40 million annually -- if owners approve all the bonuses and all the incentives are met.

The base salary of the new contract is in the single-digit millions, a source had told Schefter. Roughly 85 percent of the total potential compensation package is from bonuses, which would be subject to ownership approval and validation.
    Goodell's new deal, which runs through 2024, had been a contentious issue throughout the 2017 season. Sources had told ESPN in October that the debate over NFL player protests during the national anthem was one reason for the delay in completing the extension.

Goodell has earned $212.5 million since he was elected NFL commissioner in 2006 as Paul Tagliabue's replacement. The NFL paid Goodell nearly $32 million in fiscal year 2015, the last year for which public records exist.

Prior to signing the extension, his contract would have expired after the 2018 season.

zizoyna2nk4q.gif

• northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    How is the commissioner making nine figures? Smh.

These players really need to strike and get guaranteed contracts.
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    212.5 since 2006...thats wild...32 in 2015 alone..? ridiculous(RZA voice)
  • natural born sinners
    Options
    ? football...these football players need to put they kids in the best schools n use they money to get them the best education. Then they kids can grow up n make more money than them n not have CTE
  • natural born sinners
    Options
    More money, less broken bones
  • tupacfan12
    tupacfan12 Members Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nothing but real ? was said in that video.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? football...these football players need to put they kids in the best schools n use they money to get them the best education. Then they kids can grow up n make more money than them n not have CTE

lol duh ?
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dat ? got to be trollin wit that zesty ?
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I showed this video to my fiance and she said 'Let em know, sis!' I'm crying actual tears over here. lol
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Young Gunner
    Young Gunner Members Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »
    Slander.

Blasphemy even
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/07/seahawks-linebacker-bobby-wagner-has-no-desire-to-see-a-targeting-rule-added-in-nfl/
    Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner has no desire to see a targeting rule added in NFL

Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner had a visceral reaction regarding the idea of college football style “targeting” rules being implemented in the NFL.

“It’s terrible,” Wagner said on Wednesday. “You can just see it now, you watch the college games and they kicking players out for clean hits because they can’t tell what is a clean hit from certain angles. I would rather that rule stay in the colleges then come up here and start messing up our game.

NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations Troy Vincent said earlier on Wednesday that the NFL would consider adopting similar rules following a weekend that saw a brutal contest between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Cincinnati Bengals, and a head shot delivered by New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski on Buffalo Bills cornerback Tre'Davious White. Any such rule changes would need to be approved by the league’s competition committee over the season.

Regardless, Wagner isn’t fond of the rules seen in college football, which require ejections of players should an illegal hit be deemed to have occurred. While not an exact comparison, head shots against defenseless players, blows with the crown of the helmet and launching into an opponent are some of the plays that result in targeting penalties and automatic ejections. If a player is ejected in the second half of a game, they are also forced to sit out the first half of the team’s next game.

I just think there is a better way than bringing that rule into (the league),” Wagner said. “I would just hate to see rule come into the pros because it makes me not want to watch the college game because I know at any second, a guy could be kicked out for a hit and I don’t know how it is, but they possibly be suspended for half of the game or something like that. Nobody wants to see that.”

In his six seasons with the Seahawks, Wagner hasn’t been penalized for a single play that would have come close to being a targeting penalty under college rules. He’s committed just eight penalties in six years with two roughing the passer penalties being the closest thing he’s committed over that span. Only one of those penalties was even close to an opponent’s head. That came on a late hit of Buffalo Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor last season when he leaped into Taylor and rode him to the ground after a pass.

“I mean you can be conscious all you want of how you hit a player and what shoulder you are going to hit with the player or anything like that,” Wagner said. “But as soon as the offensive player lowers his shoulder or lowers his head or puts his head into it, I can come with my shoulder and he can lower his head and his head hit my shoulder, but they still say it’s my fault. It’s hard to be conscious of that. You can (be) conscious of it but I don’t think it’s all on the defense even though I feel like we are trying to do a better job of making sure we’re not using our head.”
  • Young Gunner
    Young Gunner Members Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheBoyRo wrote: »

Those fans deserve better. This team has been rebuilding since they came back in the league